Laptop purchasing advice

groebuck

2[H]4U
So I am in the market for a gaming laptop - Micorcenter has the powerspec 1510 on clearance for around 1000 bucks=

i7 7700HQ
16GB ram
256 NVME (960 evo)
1 TB hdd
gtx 1070 (not HQ)

Here is the few downsides I see - it is pretty bulky. I mean not terrible but 1 inch thick. The ips panel is nice and the unit supports gsync but it is 60hz and the unit has not thunderbolt 3 port.

my other option is
  • GS63 STEALTH-010
Pluses are - it is much thinner and has a higher refresh rate screen (144 hz) but is rocking the 1060 hq.. It has the newer core i7 but a lesser nvme. It also has a TBolt 3. The negative it is 1599.00

The powerspec is easier to upgrade with multiple m2 nvme slots.

So given the MSI is 600 dollars more - is it really worth it if I get 90% of what I want from the cheaper one?

I would get the GS63 Stealth, unless you're going to keep it parked in one place most of the time. In which case the bigger size of the Powespec is irrelevant.

If I am honest yeah it sits in one place for 99% of the time. When I do travel I end up taking my surface anyhoo. Which is starting to make me think I should just get a 17" if I am going to leave it sit.

I bought an HP envy from Microcenter - has the new 6 core I7 one single 16 GB sodimm (I bought a second for a total of 32 Gb) samsun NVME 256GB drive and 1TB HDD and gtx 1060 (full version) total I paid 1000 bucks for it with the memory upgrade. Totally happy with it. Plays Destiny 2 and Overatch great!

One dumb question.

What're you using Thunderbolt 3 for?

Back