Laptop plugged into TV for games, cutting off corners of picture

biggles

2[H]4U
I am connecting an MSI gaming laptop to a 1080p Samsung Plasma TV, model pn518500. The laptop has a native resolution of 1080p as well. But it cuts off the corners of the screen when Lego Batman the Videogame is set to 1080p. I was able to get the picture fitting correctly by lowering resolution to 1680x1050. Is there a way to adjust a setting someplace in order to get correct fitting picture for 1920x1080 resolution?

Using an HDMI cable and connecting to the TV ARC input, should this be producing 5.1 sound? Because the receiver says Pro Logic II.

More generally, have people here had good luck connecting computers to TV's for gaming? I have tried this in the past and it never works properly. There are always little issues here and there that decrease the quality of the game experience.

I had my PC hooked up to my DATA Projector back in the day to play games.
Worked fine and was nice playing on a 108" screen.
unreal.jpg

See if there is a scaling option in the display properties.
I know on some cards, there would be arrows at the corners you adjust for overscan.

There might be a button on the remote to flip through the screen modes, otherwise open the settings: Screen Menu > Picture > Picture Size > Picture Size. You should probably set it to either 16:9 or 'screen fit'. The 'screen fit' setting sounds like it should show everything correctly.

To get 5.1 from the laptop over HDMI, your laptop would need to support something like Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect and would need to be able to send that out over HDMI to the TV so that the TV could then send that to the AVR. Do you have a really old receiver? You should connect the receiver's HDMI display out to your TV's ARC HDMI connection, then connect the laptop to the receiver. The laptop should recognize the receiver's capabilities and output 5.1 without additional encoding (clean PCM), but you might need to set your speakers in Windows' sound settings. The receiver should then send the video output to your TV.

Ideally, the receiver should act as a hub.

Look for a setting on your TV called "Just Scan." Also look for an overscan setting in your GPU's control panel. If you are using Intel integrated graphics then you need to select Customize aspect ratio under Display and change the horizontal and vertical scales to fit the image. For NVIDIA the option will be under Adjust desktop size and position, then the Size tab.

When you have the laptop connected without a game playing, are the corners cut off? As someone else mentioned, you may need to go into your Display Properties in Windows to change the overscan. There's usually sliders you can use to adjust this once you find the setting.

For 5.1 surround sound, you have to set your Sound in Windows to 5.1. It is most likely set to Stereo if you haven't changed it as that's the default.

what they all said ^^^
on my lg plasma the setting is under "picture/aspect ratio" and is set to "just scan" yours should have something similar.
if you have realtek audio but no DD-Live you can get a patched driver to add it in.

On my Samsung plasma there was an option for "game mode". Fixed all those issues for me.

Once you have the scaling set right in your GPU driver, your computer will remember those settings anytime you reconnect it to that display.

Back