Laptop panel types for a college student

Shadowex3

Weaksauce
First off I don't mind if it's not something I can shave with, i mean after all I'm cool with carrying around huge crap and I wear fullsized headphones in public (yeah, that much of a nerd).

The real thing is i'm one of those sad bastards that's apparently allergic to flatpanels. Now i've been told that IPS/MVA is less nauseating than TN's so I'm wondering which company has what in which laptops. I've honestly never even considered laptops and frankly they scare the hell out of me.

Help me [H]forum kenobi, you are my only hope!

nauseating?

The IPS/MVA will have better color and better viewing angles, but typically aren't as responsive as TN panels, which would equate to the later being better for gaming, while the former better for digital graphics.

That being said, it's hard to find MVA/IPS panels any more. None in widescreen that I know of, and the last of the IPS, those used in the Thinkpad T60 are highly sought after and rather expensive.

While the IPS UXGA in my old T42P was beautiful and more or less unbeatable, I still love the WUXGA 15.4" LG panel in my T61P

Get an LED backlit display.

Several notebooks feature these including the XPS m1330 and Macbook Pro

Are they any better for people really sensitive to flatpanels? I imagine the LED's would be an improvement over a 60hz cold cathode or whatever is in normal backlights.

I don't think there are any laptops that use non-TN screens anymore, except for possibly some obscure niche models I'm not aware of. That said, I suggest you head down to a local computer retailer and check out the screens on some of the laptops. You may find one (or more) that doesn't bother you, and the only way to find out for sure is to have a look yourself.

Back