laptop internet problem

jeffmoss26

2[H]4U
I've been trying to help a friend with their Dell Inspiron 1505 laptop. It will connect fine for a while but after about an hour the connection goes out (using ethernet, not wireless)
We have tried different cables, using her computer in another network jack in her apartment, but still the same problem. Right now I am typing on it and it is fine, but it may go out before an hour's time. I redownloaded the NIC drivers from Dell's site as well. I'm scratching my head on this so any insight would be appreciated. The internet in the apartment is DSL but the apartment complex manages it, so each room just has a cat 5 jack in the wall. No access to the router or anything. They get a 12.x.x.x IP which comes from at&t.

dell likes to turn stuff off to save power, go into the properties for the nic and uncheck let windows turn off to save power. do this in the dell settings too, sorry can't remember where they are on dells :( but there should be some kind of dell utility of some sort.

You say the apt. complex manages it. Any chance they disconnect people after a certain amount of time, you know, like some wifi spots do? And like utshost said, I'd check your power settings to make sure your LAN port isn't being put into "sleep" mode.

OK well oddly enough, I took the laptop to my house, plugged it in to my internet connection and used it for an hour or so. It worked fine. When my friend took it home, it ended up working and did not drop the connection. Weird? I think so.

Back