Laptop Hard Drive

ng4ever

2[H]4U
Would a new laptop hard drive give me faster transfer rate ? Right now we get 20 to 35 MB/sec when transfering over the local 1 Gbps network. I would like to transfer at least at 50 MB/sec with anymore being a extra surprise bonus is this possible? What laptop hard drive would you recommend or should I just get a external hard drive for more space ? Our current laptop hard drive is 1 TB.

Over what connection? It depends on where the "bottleneck" is. If its a sequential read, even spinner hard drives should be capable of transfers faster than that - so changing it shouldn't make a difference.

Tried tweaking your Ethernet port or wifi settings in Device manager? Sometimes the defaults a bit on the safe side. Best if you have a Intel setup for that kind of thing. If it's Realtek then not much you can do.

A new SSD would very likely help. A new hard drive probably not that much. Also the drive on the other end of the gigabit network could be part of the bottleneck.

are both systems 1Gb? whats type of drives are on both ends? i can copy at ~110MB/s from a 7200rpm drive over my network to my ssd but only ~50 from 7200 to 7200. so like mentioned check all you config, make sure nics are actually at 1Gb and check hdd speeds. going from 5400 to 5400 drives might just be that slow. so in the end a ssd as the destination drive would help.

For copying files if they are not large (possibly GB sized files) don't expect 100MB/s+ performance. Small files require many seeks which will reduce your throughput.

A new SSD would very likely help. A new hard drive probably not that much. Also the drive on the other end of the gigabit network could be part of the bottleneck.

I agree with drescherjm. I have an old Asus from 2008 and after I put in an SSD it was almost like i had a brand new laptop.

What is the speed of the current drive? A lot of laptop drives are optimized for low power instead of high speed. 5400rpm or even slower is common. Are these the only two devices on the network during the xfer? Other devices chatting can significantly slow down a copy.

If this copy is going to be an ongoing issue where speed is helpful, 2nd the thought of a SSD.

Doubtful an external drive would speed things up. A lot of the portable drives are in the same speed class as laptop drives. Plus you would be hoping that the USB connection would keep up.

What is the speed of the current drive? A lot of laptop drives are optimized for low power instead of high speed. 5400rpm or even slower is common. Are these the only two devices on the network during the xfer? Other devices chatting can significantly slow down a copy.

If this copy is going to be an ongoing issue where speed is helpful, 2nd the thought of a SSD.

Doubtful an external drive would speed things up. A lot of the portable drives are in the same speed class as laptop drives. Plus you would be hoping that the USB connection would keep up.

A lot of older ones even have the acoustic management turned on fully. I always check a customers laptop if it has that enabled with Crystaldisk Info. I also ramp up the power option too. Mainly to improve data transfer for the cloning to the new SSD.

I'd still look at the networking side to though. I had a case of a PC that would only transfer at around 40MBps on the network as standard. I then tweaked the Ethernet settings on the NIC and it hit 90MBps. If that side inst right then no new superfast SSD will make much difference.

Back