Laptop GTX 1050Ti with Optimus - cannot force Vsync on

stashix

Limp Gawd
I've recently bought a new Dell Inspiron G5 laptop with the GTX 1050 Ti.
Today I wanted to play Dead Space 1, which is notorious for only having half-refresh Vsync built in while the game physics and controls break while running unlocked on modern GPU's in excess of 300 FPS.
So I've tried leaving the in-game Vsync off and forcing a full refresh (60 Hz in my case) Vsync from the Control Panel - to my surprise this has absolutely no effect with the game still running at over 300 FPS.
I've tried the same on my desktop with a 1080Ti, where it works as expected. I remember this exact trick working way back when the game was new as well as on my old laptop with a Radeon 6470m.
Forcing Vsync on in the Intel driver didn't help either, still running full tilt.

Is this a known bug? After googling for a while I've read that this apparently happens due to Nvidia Optimus.

Anything else I can try? I realize that I could cap the game at 60 using RivaTuner, but that produces some annoying tearing.

Can you try enabling Fast Sync in Nvidia settings? You can leave V-Sync disabled in game and I believe this should stop the tearing.

Back