laptop gets random bluescreen then reboots?

wudini

[H]ard|Gawd
hey whats up fellas? i just installed xp pro with sp1 on my friends laptop (Compaq Presario 2100 (2165US)) and he's getting random blue screens. when he gets the blue screen its only up for about a second then the laptop reboots automatically. what could be causing this? any ideas?

side notes:
i installed drivers straight from the compaq website
hardware=
512 ram
athlon xp-m
radeon mobility
40 gig hd
integrated 802.11g

heat?

driver conflict?

what does the event viewer say? Check that to see if there are any clues as to what is causing the crashes.

Run memtest86

scan for viruses(longshot)

write downt the stop code and research it on MS website.

Good luck!

well like i said the bluescreen is only visible for a second or less so its kind of impossible to write anything down. and viruses are out of the question, it was doing this on a fresh format/install. drivers are a possibility. i'd like to add a problem to the mix and see if this may tip anyone off as to a possible problem. before the lappy was formatted and xp pro w/sp1 was installed there were no problems with the internet connection. granted my friend has time warner cable internet which relies on AOL to be connected in order to use the connection. (is there a way around this?) but now since we formatted and reinstalled xp/drivers/aol he constantly gets booted off aol (i know i know it's aol, but i'm talking obnoxiously booted off after 5 minutes of being on) then when he tries to reconnect it wont initialize the modem. he has a cable modem/dlink 802.11g router to which he connects via the integrated 802.11g. unlike my aol which connects via tcp/ip his actually initializes his cable modem, im guessing because he has time warner cable.

Did you ever try starting up in safe mode? if it doesn't crash then, i would point at a driver..

I would definitly look at heat issues especially if a fresh windows install doesn't fix it

Most definitely a driver issue.

Your best bet is to go into your System options in the Control Panel, click on the Advanced tab, then Startup and Recovery. Uncheck "Automatically restart" under System Failure so you can see what little .dll file is the culprit.

Good luck.

Back