Laptop gaming question

Swede88

Lurker
My school issued us a laptop that doesn't have an internal CD-ROM drive. Instead they gave us an external one.

So here's my dilemma: my friend/fellow student and I are looking at picking up one or two bargain bin games that we can play online together. However, we don't want to lug around external drives in our crammed backpacks.

So...is there a way to see which games require the CD to play online and which ones don't?

Just ask here. Most people know if it requires the cd (or an... ahem.... other method).

If you download the game from steam for example, you will never need a CD to play it.

There is also many ways to get around having to have a CD. I wouldn't feel bad about it if you aren't doing anything illegal :p I know Alcohol 120% has been mention here many times.

Because gaming with CD images will be a RIOT to explain when you get caught playing games. Absolutely terrific idea.

Ever think of...I don't know, using the laptop for school and playing games at home?

This all started when I installed BF 1942 onto my laptop using the external CD/DVD ROM drive. I updated it with the patches and then played it, which worked fine. However, i then realized I don't want to lug around the external drive, so I installed a "Game Fix" (not sure what is appropriate/inappropriate, but I assure you I own this game so please don't discipline/ban me). I then disconnected the drive and tried playing it with the fix and it did not work. For some reason I thought since the computer knows I don't have a CD/DVD ROM, then the "Game Fix" or using Alcohol won't work. However, this may be a testament to my lack of computer knowledge. Therefore I just decided for simplicity sake (or laziness) to look for a game that doesn't require the CD lol.

Unreal Tournament 2004 doesn't need the disc in the drive to play. The first patch they released for the game removed the disc check.

Although the BF42 fix should work. Do you have the fix that matches the version you're patched up to?

Although the BF42 fix should work. Do you have the fix that matches the version you're patched up to?

I believe so. I installed the game, then updated to patch 1.6 then to patch 1.61b. I installed the fix for patch 1.61b and every time I click the desktop icon the hourglass would come up for 3 seconds and then disappear. In other words, nothing happens.

I'm pretty sure I installed the fix in the current directory. Plus one of the fixes does it automatically for you. Neither of the two worked. The game runs on patch 1.61b using the CD, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

RTS games by Relic do not require the discs to play. In the case of Company of Heroes, you'll have to log into Relic Online first, however.

Back