laptop for Entertainment @ the Airport

logan1

Gawd
Hi guys,

Well my Job requires me to do a lot of travelling; which in turn means i spend a lot of time in the airport just waiting around for my flights. I would like to buy a nice compact laptop to help me pass the time.

I would like to be able to watch movies, surf the internet, and do a little gaming. Battery life is an important factor here. The laptop should be able to run atleast 5hrs on battery between charges. Also i'd like to have a good size HDD for all my movies and music.

Since this is just a travel laptop for me. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible($500 or less).

Please provide me with a few selections of laptops that will be an awesome fit for my needs.

thanx

HP DM3. They go for $549 on the site, but you can get them cheaper elsewhere.
I have the intel version and it's advertised to go up to 10hours on a charge, real world usage with web browser, and medium low brightness gives me 4:30 hours.
It's small, 13in, weights 4.2lb and looks great and most prebuilt models come with a 320GB harddrive.

Also which processor should i go buy? Intel i5 or i7 or AMD Phenom II?

Also which processor should i go buy? Intel i5 or i7 or AMD Phenom II?

I think in general Intel's seem better for mobile computing. I'd get an i5 since by the basis of your requirements you aren't doing anything particularly thread heavy (encoding mostly) and with i5 you can get switchable graphics which helps battery life greatly. I5 is sort of out of your 500 dollar range though...Could try refurbs from dell or hp or something?

I'd wait for the notion ink adam to come out soon this year. Its not exactly a laptop, it has 16 hour when watching HD video or searching the web. It is also can be cheaper than your price range. $399-$499. depending if you want 3g or pixel Qi screen.

But it has not come out yet so if you don't mind the wait (2 months), I'd say grab the Ink.

if you can wait a bit.....AMD is releasing BobCat soon, which should blow the Atom/ION's out of the water performance wise...

HP DM3. They go for $549 on the site, but you can get them cheaper elsewhere.
I have the intel version and it's advertised to go up to 10hours on a charge, real world usage with web browser, and medium low brightness gives me 4:30 hours.
It's small, 13in, weights 4.2lb and looks great and most prebuilt models come with a 320GB harddrive.

my dm3t gets 6hrs and i have 2 batteries.....SF to Bejing watching 4 seasons of Weeds on 6 batteries :D

i also own an iPad and as a travel companion they are both great..

games = iPad
Movies = Dm3t for sure...

the iPads lack of video codecs and small storage limit it too much..... i even have a usb portable 1tb drive that i have almost 400 movies/tv shows ripped it

a CULV intel CPU gets my vote....

Back