Laptop for college

Asulc

n00b
I am going to be attending Oregon State University in fall of 2010, and I will need to purchase a laptop before doing so.

I was looking at the Mac Book Pro 17inch, but the OSU website says that I need to have Windows for my Engineering program.

Can someone recommend me a windows equivalent of the MB Pro for less than $2300?

I really like the high resolution that the MB Pro offers, as well as the very minimalistic looks of the laptop. I also would like the laptop to stay quiet, and it does not need to play games.

Thank you for your help!

P.S. This is the website that says what the laptop needs to have for my program:
http://engr.oregonstate.edu/students/wireless/recommend.html

voodoo envy ... hands down in my opinion, all black, same "look" as mack...bit more square....has slightly better computing power, runs windows/linux, and is about 2k

Keep in mind that apple offers bootcamp.. If you are really set on that macbook pro, then go for it. You would of course have to purchase windows on top of that, but again, if you are heartset on a mac (i know a lot of college kids are (not me)), then go for it.

Are you looking for a large screen? or just a high resolution? Any brands you really despise? Do you want it to be portable or are you gonna leave it on your desk?

I can tell you that, as a Mech. Engineering Junior, my new laptop (Asus ul80vt) is going to fulfill all my laptop needs. I do have a desktop for gaming, but the asus is super thin and portable, and with 11-12 hours of usable battery life, it definitely comes in handy throughout a day of taking notes or long nights at the library writing code. With the switchable graphics, I am able to get phenomenal battery life for classes, then switch to the G210m and game at full resolution. I can't believe how great this laptop is. I have been waiting for this for 4 years :)

My friend has a 17 inch laptop and she absolutely hates carrying it around or to the library. I highly recommend the ul80vt if you are looking for a powerful thin and light comp, but it seems the 14 inch screen may dissuade you. Do you already have a desktop? Are you just going to use the laptop for engineering hw and class notes, or are you going to game at all, watch videos, etc?

Anything more than a 14" laptop for college life is gonna be annoying. Trust me, don't go above 14". 15" can be tolerable, but ANYTHING more than 15 is plain and simply dumb.

Anything more than a 14" laptop for college life is gonna be annoying. Trust me, don't go above 14". 15" can be tolerable, but ANYTHING more than 15 is plain and simply dumb.

I came from a 15.4 inch 6 year old compaq (which was awesome while it lasted by the way!) and yes it was rather large. I set my GF up with a 15.4 laptop and it is the perfect size for her, but for me i like the ultra portability of the 14". I think the 13" are a little too small, and i had my eye on the new 1201N from asus, but again, the screen size didn't impress me. 14-15 is perfection for college life.

the new asus ULV thin-and-light series look very nice.

Or the Dell XPS Studio 13 looks to be a strong notebook.
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/dell-xps-13.aspx

The new HP Envy 13/15 look nice. The touchpad isnt great as per reviews but it has a better screen than the MBP, faster CPU and can have a intel SSD for under $2300

I just bought a HP dm3t which gets 10hrs of battery...
I bought mine for $1000 with intel CPU, Nvidia 105m, 4gb DDR3, 160gb Intel X25-M G1 SSD, Wifi N and bluetooth.

But as was stated prior..... if you want a MBP get it and bootcamp to W7

These are the minimum specs that I care to have

120gb or larger hard drive, 7200rpm or Solid State, will have a 500gb external HDD to put files on
2.1ghz C2D or equivalent/faster
DVD drive, doesn't need to be built in, won't use it often

The reason I would like a high resolution, not necessarily a large screen, is because I will be getting rid of my desktop computer and using a laptop as my primary computer. I don't want to lose the real estate that my 1680x1050 monitor gave me, but I want to sell the monitor for money or give it to my parents.

Are you looking for a large screen? or just a high resolution? Any brands you really despise? Do you want it to be portable or are you gonna leave it on your desk?

Do you already have a desktop? Are you just going to use the laptop for engineering hw and class notes, or are you going to game at all, watch videos, etc?
I don't necessarily need a large screen.
I want a high resolution.
No brand preference.
This will be replacing my desktop.
I will be using the laptop for hw and notes in class.
No games.
Probably will use for movies if I go on a trip or a plane.

I won't need the desktop for gaming because I won't be gaming anymore. Fact is I haven't bought a new game since christmas last year, and I haven't played a game since early this last summer. So I won't be missing anything by not having the ability to game.

I was looking back at laptops again, and I think that by using boot camp to boot windows, the base model of the 15 inch Mac Book Pro with the 2.53ghz processor will be ideal for my needs.

I will upgrade the laptop on the Apple Website to have a 500gb 7200rpm HDD, that way I can have plenty of room for any applications that I need to install for college and still have room for music on the OS X install.

Does this seem like a good idea, or are there still better options for a laptop computer less than $1800? I am intrigued by the Mac because my windows computer, while running great for the first 8 months or so I owned it, has given me nothing but problems in the last year and a half...

Hey, im off to college next year too. Seniors of '10! :D

The 15in Macbook Pro I have is incredibly small. Working with Dreamweaver and surfing the web is annoying. I know bigger laptops are annoying but with Mac's it's the only way to go. :(

Otherwise I would look at this http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-15-4-Inch-Black-Laptop/dp/tech-data/B002SG7LWY/ref=de_a_smtd

I see that the T500 is being talked about on another thread... The Thinkpad I had, back when it was IBM, was great. I would assume the quality has continued even though it's Lenevo.

GL.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I hear that from everyone i know that has considered a mac:

"My computer isn't as fast as it used to be! Macs are different, they will always be fast!"

Fact is, no matter what operating system you choose, it will bog down. People will claim that their install of windows ME is still chugging alone at warp speed, but they are either not using the computer, or it is not connected to the internet :p I usually do a fresh install of windows once a year, just to get all the clutter out. Windows, being the more widely used for programmers and generally having more users, will get bogged down faster because you are putting more user made content on it. Like when you really need to burn an iso, so you install a one-time-use program to do it. Or if you need to change a wmv to a .mov, etc. This clutters pc's. Apple has done a great job of keeping the clutter out, mainly by shutting out these user made programs / content, but keep in mind if you buy a mac you are buying a super expensive operating system and getting mediocre hardware thrown in at a premium price.

That is why I don't buy mac's. You get a 800 dollars (or less) worth of hardware for 2000 dollars, with a shiny blanket over it. OSx is great, but apple hardware is not.

That being said, if you are set on a mac, go with one! There is definitely way better options out there in pc land in terms of hardware, but if OSX is your thing, go for it!

Graduated college in '06, in law school now. Trust me when I say that I know a thing or two about college laptops.

You should get a 15" notebook that is thin and light. Don't worry about the resolution, because you are going to go buy a 22-23" 1080p monitor for when you are at home. This will give you a great balance of decent resolution for in class and the library, and an awesome resolution for the studying and entertainment at home.

You might even consider a 13" as it is nicer on the back when carrying it around. Battery life is also key. No point in any laptop if it's dead in class.

Mac/PC. If you just compare the processor/ram/video card/hdd on the mac and pc, it appears as though the mac is outrageously more expensive. The key to the mac's value is its portability. Show me a laptop that is the same size as the macbook pros (width and weight) with the same hardware for the same price. It looks like your school will let you run a mac in windows, which isn't the greatest experience in the world, so consider that as well.

Dell Studio 16 with the 2.53 C2D and 9 cell battery for $1,344 is a great value performance wise, and has a huge resolution, but is also pushing 7 pounds.

Compared to the 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 is $1,700 and is 5.5 pounds, plus the aluminum body, and .95in thickness.

Just remember, battery life, portability, and money you can save to pimp out your dorm room!

well you are right at 17" with the size and power of the MBP v all PC notebooks...

but at 13" PCs have many that compete with the MBP.

HP Dm3 T or Z, Dell studio 14z, Dell XPS studio 13", Asus ul30a ? and soon to be released ul30ut and thats not including sony, lenovo and others...

17" nothing compares to the 1" thich MBP.... but I dont want a 17" notebook.... I have a 19" LCD and a 23' LCD at home to work on.

17" nothing compares to the 1" thich MBP.... but I dont want a 17" notebook.... I have a 19" LCD and a 23' LCD at home to work on.
Thanks for sharing, but this thread is about what the OP wants, not what you want.

w00t Seniors 2010!

OP, might look into some Thinkpads. I'm debating between the T400 or the T500.

The T500 has a 15.4in @ 1680 x 1050
The T400 has a 14.1in @ 1440 x 900

So both models have extended resolution.

but keep in mind if you buy a mac you are buying a super expensive operating system and getting mediocre hardware thrown in at a premium price.

That is why I don't buy mac's. You get a 800 dollars (or less) worth of hardware for 2000 dollars, with a shiny blanket over it. OSx is great, but apple hardware is not.

That being said, if you are set on a mac, go with one! There is definitely way better options out there in pc land in terms of hardware, but if OSX is your thing, go for it!

Mac OS X is cheaper then Windows. It is not a super expensive OS lol. Your paying for the Mac Apple Symbol, aka the name.

Yea in PC Land terms. This is laptop Island. You don't go shopping around for a laptop because one doesn't have the motherboard you want. They are all Intel based boards. The only difference is the memory.

w00t Seniors 2010!

OP, might look into some Thinkpads. I'm debating between the T400 or the T500.

The T500 has a 15.4in @ 1680 x 1050
The T400 has a 14.1in @ 1440 x 900

So both models have extended resolution.

T500 ftw

As was mentioned earlier, you're definitely better off buying cheaper and smaller and just making up for the smaller screen (or smaller resolution) by plugging it into your 22" while in the dorm.

It also feels more comfortable (for me) to plug in a laptop rather than use it as is for more than a few hours at a time. Laptops are fast enough nowadays that you'll literally feel like you're on a desktop with your keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

I think the general consensus is that if you REALLY want a macbook, then you can just bootcamp it. Someone mentioned that you'll have to buy windows. This might not be true if your school has MSDNAA. http://engr.oregonstate.edu/computing/msdnaa/

However, it's also true that for the equivalent hardware, a windows based machine will cost 1/2 as much (except for maybe battery life).

Mac OS X is cheaper then Windows. It is not a super expensive OS lol. Your paying for the Mac Apple Symbol, aka the name.

Snow leopard is 30 dollars on the apple site, and it is only an upgrade. I couldn't find the price of OSX Leopard (Actual OS) after a quick browse, so i can't comment on that. The thing you are missing is the little line underneath the flashy pic and words on apple's site:

Snow Leopard is an upgrade for Leopard users and requires a Mac with an Intel processor.

So you need a Mac to run it?!?! Mac's certainly aren't overpriced are they? hmm, odd that to run a "cheap" OS, I need to purchase expensive proprietary hardware.. You are certainly not paying for premium hardware, so what you are buying is the OS (and the apple symbol) when you buy a mac. Whether the os is worth the premium is up to the end user.

The "Laptop" is a PC. Laptop Island is definitely located in PC land.
They are all Intel based boards. The only difference is the memory.
[sarcasm]
Yep, only difference in memory.
And CPU.
And GPU.
And HDD.
And Screen.
And Touchpad.
And Wireless.
And *add any other laptop innard*
[\sarcasm]

The beauty of the pc (I am talking laptops for those who think pc=desktop..) market is the competition (read: the choices). If you have a problem with windows, buy a Mac or an ubuntu powered lappy. If you like Windows (if you haven't, try windows 7. it is honestly a good os), then you will have more choices and lower prices. You can tailor a PC (laptop) to your needs much more than you can a Mac or an ubuntu box.

Not sure if you have already made your choice yet, but I recommend looking into a Clevo W765TUN, 15.6" screen is a little big but it's very wide rather than tall and if you go for the higher priced display it has a 1600x900 resolution.

I find the image on it to be very crisp and bright, so bright that I rarely if ever turn the brightness all the way up, most of the time I have it turned all the way down.

The power consumption is pretty good, I have not really tested exactly how long it lasts(for some reason my XP 64bit refuses to give me a battery estimate...) but it can last me through my four hour programming lecture without any problems, and that is with wireless turned on and the screen brightness turned up a bit.

Best part about it is the low price, you can get one with 4gb 800Mhz, 2.53Ghz 25w CPU, G105M 512mb Graphics, and a 500gb harddrive for around $1000 depending on what else you decide to include.

It also has a very nice keyboard, similar to the one on a mac(with the raised chicklet key thingies) and the touchpad is alright, if a bit overly sensitive.

You can take a look at one over
Here at RJTech

Snow leopard is 30 dollars on the apple site, and it is only an upgrade.

The $30 disk installs a full version of Snow Leopard. Seeing as how you are so anti-mac, I could understand how you would be mistaken as to that fact.

@Tommygun, stop trying to start a mac/pc flame war. Yes, macs cost more money than equivalent PC's, that's old news. To some people, it is worth it. Given the fact that OP is considering a mac, i think it is safe to assume he is a person that might find the style, form factor, and other advantages the mac has to possibly be worth the extra money. Obviously, you disagree about that, which is fine. Stop trying to argue that macs are the devil because they cost more, your point is moot.

Instead, why don't you compare some laptops on a more even basis to the mac, so that the differences are highlighted. If the mac is SOO overpriced, please show us a laptop or two that competes head on with the mac. That is actually helping the OP in making a decision.

Remember, this is about OP picking a laptop that suits HIS NEEDS for HIS PROGRAM at HIS SCHOOL. Keep your advice tailored to that, don't start another (useless) mac/pc debate.

I'm not sure why people are arguing about snow leopard vs. windows.

His school has MSDNAA which means he gets windows for free. Regardless of the cost of snow leopard, the real cost is buying a mac, so who cares? It's really a non issue. They literally don't compete with each other individually since OSX does require you to buy a mac.

I think more importantly, the OP is about to spend $2300 on 17" MBP. Even as far as macs go, that's VERY pricey. Make damn sure you *really* want that 17" screen, or else just get a 15" or a 13" MBP and hook it up to your 22" in your dorm and call it a day. This seems to be the best solution since outside of your dorm, a 13-15" would be much more portable than a 17" laptop.

On the PC side there are a boat load of laptops with similar specs and half the cost if that's what you care about. If you want to go beyond simple specs then you'll have to dig into the *luxury* laptop lines such as envy.

I am going to be attending Oregon State University in fall of 2010, and I will need to purchase a laptop before doing so.

I was looking at the Mac Book Pro 17inch, but the OSU website says that I need to have Windows for my Engineering program.

P.S. This is the website that says what the laptop needs to have for my program:
http://engr.oregonstate.edu/students/wireless/recommend.html

Are you going to be using any cad software for your engineering classes or labs or projects?

If so there are options out there that contain a bit more graphic power than the 17" mbp. Add in greater cuda/stream/opencl support in the future and you are looking at much more longevity and performance down the road.

Not to mention apple has not yet refreshed their mbps to the newer core i7 quad core chips. I think they will early 2010 when the 32nm variants hit, so if you are getting it after that you should be ok on the cpu front.

But if you need something now, there are more powerful options now.

The $30 disk installs a full version of Snow Leopard. Seeing as how you are so anti-mac, I could understand how you would be mistaken as to that fact.

@Tommygun, stop trying to start a mac/pc flame war. Yes, macs cost more money than equivalent PC's, that's old news. To some people, it is worth it. Given the fact that OP is considering a mac, i think it is safe to assume he is a person that might find the style, form factor, and other advantages the mac has to possibly be worth the extra money. Obviously, you disagree about that, which is fine. Stop trying to argue that macs are the devil because they cost more, your point is moot.

Instead, why don't you compare some laptops on a more even basis to the mac, so that the differences are highlighted. If the mac is SOO overpriced, please show us a laptop or two that competes head on with the mac. That is actually helping the OP in making a decision.

Remember, this is about OP picking a laptop that suits HIS NEEDS for HIS PROGRAM at HIS SCHOOL. Keep your advice tailored to that, don't start another (useless) mac/pc debate.

Not trying to start a flame war here, just trying to bring valid points to the table, which is why I said if windows and linux aren't for you, go with a mac. [H] users are usually concerned with hardware, and when you buy a mac, you pay more for a set of hardware then if you purchase that same set with a pc.

I have never purchased OSX, and from reading the apple page where it is for sale it says "Upgrade" several times. I just assumed it was an upgrade... because it says it is..

Macbook Pro 15" (middle option) $2000
2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
* 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs)
* 9400m + 9600GT w/512mb vidram
* 320gig hdd (5400 RPM)
* 7 hour battery life in OSX

Here are some examples of pc's that can compete with macs:

Dell Studio XPS 16 $1329
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8800 (3MB cache/2.66GHz/1066Mhz FSB)
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms)
320GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
ATI Mobility RADEON™ HD 4670 – 1GB
84 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
-5 hours on power saver, 2.5 on high performance

Asus N61Vn $1122
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 2.00GHz Processor
6MB L2 Cache, 1066 FSB
4GB PC3-1066MHz DDR3 RAM
320GB (7200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
nVIDIA GeForce GT 240M with 1GB GDDR3 VRAM\
6 cell battery - about 3 hours on power saver?

HP dv4t $979
• Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8800 (2.66 GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
• FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 2GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
# • FREE Upgrade to 500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive from 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
# • 512MB NVIDIA GeForce G 105M
# • 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery - about 6-7 hours?

HP dv6t Quad edition $1050
* • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
* • FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 2GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* • FREE Upgrade to 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
* • 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
* • 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery - about 5 hours?

HP Envy 15 $1800
* • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
* • 6GB DDR3 System Memory (3 Dimm)
* • 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
* • 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4830
* • 6 Cell Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - about 7 hours

To name a few. There are so many options!

Again, if you are into OSX, like the way macs look, and don't mind the premium, then buy a mac. If you are a windows kinda guy or gal, start by defining what you will use the computer for, then look into a budget, then look around :)

+1. Great post above. Actually kinda helped with my upcoming laptop purchase

I am glad I could help. Make sure you do your research :)

My Ul80vt i just got was bought after weeks of exhaustive research. I couldn't be happier with it.

+1. Great post above. Actually kinda helped with my upcoming laptop purchase

Yes, very detailed. And for what it is worth, the 16" dell gives an option for a 1920x1080p rgbled backlit display.

That is better than ANY other laptop manufacturer at that screen size (that I know of), including the mbp, and they also have nicer panels, but not that nice, for less money, and less power.

Back