Laptop for college

DarkStar02

2[H]4U
I know there have been a million threads about this, but I need updated news. I want to upgrade from my first gen c2d macbook before I leave for Portland State. However, I don't know what I want. I'm thinking I want an ultraportable like the new Inspiron Mini 12, but it uses an Intel Atom processor and probably won't be useful for anything but taking notes. My next option is the new revision of the macbook air, because it has an integrated 9400m video card and it's sleek design, but I'm not sure if I want to spend $1700 on a laptop. The new macbook could have been an option as well but they decided to use a gloss screen (My old inspiron 9300 had a gloss screen... never again) Also, I've always wanted a tablet PC (i.e. the HP tx2500z), but they tend to be relatively thick and have poor battery life (My current macbook can push 4 hours). I like the new Voodoo 133, but I can't afford something like that. The Dell M1330 is appealing as well, but I'm having mixed feelings. Any other recommendations?

. Any other recommendations?

Really can't make any recommendations without knowing exactly what YOU want or need.

A few questions to help us out:
- Is your current Macbook actually slow for your needs/wants? In other words, what are you doing now on your Macbook that you feel that warrants a replacement laptop?
- What are you planning to do with this laptop? In fact, what major are you?
- Do you want portability above all else?

I use a new MacBook -- the gloss hasn't really been an issue for me. You'd probably have to have particularly distinct, bright lighting behind you for the gloss to really be a problem. The LED backlighting helps solve that.

Also, if you're using an original MacBook, you already have a glossy screen. The aluminum MacBook's display is better than what you have now.

The MacBook Air is good, but the main advantages are the weight and the better color accuracy in the display. Definitely consider it if you travel often and don't need your notebook to carry a lot of expansion, but the regular aluminum MacBook isn't exactly heavy.

Also, I've always wanted a tablet PC (i.e. the HP tx2500z), but they tend to be relatively thick and have poor battery life (My current macbook can push 4 hours).

That is incorrect information. My tablet gets 6+ hours with wifi on and half screen brightness, much better than most notebooks. If you are interested in a tablet check out http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ it offers a plethora of information. A good tablet that gets great battery life can be had for under $1k. The HP stuff tends to be pretty bad in terms of tablets (except for the 2710p/2730p).

Is this going to be a do-it all machine for a dorm room or will it be a strictly on-the-go computer. If its the latter, I would look for one of the 12.1" or 13.3" laptops that are sub 4 lbs.

I love the m1330 and with the extended battery i get 5 hours no problems.

Lenovo T400 is my college laptop, just started as a freshman and plan on keeping it all four years, with maybe an upgrade to 4GB or 8GB DDR3 from 2GB and some kind of SSD drive. Standard 6-cell battery lasts 5.5-6 hours with normal power saving options and the 1440x900 LED screen. It's supposed to get 9-10 hours with a 9cell which may also be an upgrade at some point, but at this point I feel that it's unnecessary weight and I'm very happy with my 5+ hours.

Really can't make any recommendations without knowing exactly what YOU want or need.

A few questions to help us out:
- Is your current Macbook actually slow for your needs/wants? In other words, what are you doing now on your Macbook that you feel that warrants a replacement laptop?
- What are you planning to do with this laptop? In fact, what major are you?
- Do you want portability above all else?
My macbook does tend to lag a little when I'm listening to music, have firefox open, and am working in photoshop. Also, it doesn't have a dvd burner and I burn too many dvd's to not have one. In order of what I'd rather have: Battery>Portability>Power, but I'm trying to find a happy medium. I'm an agribusiness major btw.

Is this going to be a do-it all machine for a dorm room or will it be a strictly on-the-go computer. If its the latter, I would look for one of the 12.1" or 13.3" laptops that are sub 4 lbs.
Both. I'm limiting it down so far to the Fujitsu T5020, a Fujitsu T2020, or an HP 2710p. Right now I'm leaning towards the T5020 because it is the most powerful, but it doesn't fare as well in the battery life department. The T2020 gets up to 11 hours of battery life but it doesn't have an optical drive so I'd have to carry one around with me. I also like the 2710p because of it's size and weight, but I don't know if its processor is strong enough for me and it also doesn't have an optical drive. Opinions?

Back