Laptop died on the eve of my new build. Need data. Suggestions on how to proceed?

semisonic9

Gawd
This is my old Inspiron 9300, which was a great little laptop with an uncanny gift for killing graphics cards.

First, it killed a 6800go. That I replaced under warranty, but that cost me a month's worth of wrangling with Dell's incompetant tech support. They sent the wrong card...three times. :rolleyes: My second card lasted until the warranty was up, then promptly bit the dust. No biggy. The laptop was getting a little long in the tooth anyways, so I started planning the new build and got by on the onboard graphics for awhile. But...now I'm pretty sure my onboard graphics card is dying!

I've got about 8-9gb worth of music and probably another 2-3 gigs of data on the hard-drive that I'd like to pull off. I ran Vista XP Pro on the laptop, but am planning to run Vista on the new desktop I'm putting together this weekend. If I just pull out the laptop card and plug it into the desktop rig, will I be able to access the files at all. I believe it's a SATA drive...but I'd probably have to look it up to be sure.

I usually can get a few minutes out of my laptop before the onboard graphics gets too hot (fan issue, I think). I might be able to disassemble the thing enough to get some airflow going in there manually, but that's kind of a PITA. If it's just the screen going out, I may be able to back up to a friends back-up drive and cart the data over that way.

-S

Just take the HD out the laptop and and either put it in a IDE or SATA External enclosure they cost like £15, and to top it off you've then got a extrernal harddisk. and yes you will beabel to access the files unless you turned on bitlocker.

BTW that was a long post for such a simple question.

That's because I wasn't sure what I was asking. That gets you a sitrep.

Thanks for the info, though.

-S

Back