Laptop came with single 8GB stick.. 8+4 or 4+4?

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
So I got a cheaper laptop on sale this weekend for some light games that I don't have to sit at the desk for like swtor. Its an MSI and came with 8GB of RAM in a single stick. I don't really want to buy anything else for this machine, but I happen to have two 4GB sticks of samsung 2666 RAM from a different laptop that have identical specs to the 8GB module. This has a 9300H processor. Would it be better to run 4+4 in dual channel or add a single 4GB to the existing 8GB for 12 total?

stick a 4GB in and check the bios. if it still say its running in dual channel youre gtg. realisticly you probably wont notice much difference between 8 and 12. so if it drops out of dual channel then just run the 2x4.

stick a 4GB in and check the bios. if it still say its running in dual channel youre gtg. realisticly you probably wont notice much difference between 8 and 12. so if it drops out of dual channel then just run the 2x4.

I was thinking to just try it but the case on this thing is so damn fiddly (I've taken apart a LOT of laptops and this is one of the worst) I don't want to open it twice. Maybe I'll just pick up a good 16GB kit and call it a day.

I was thinking to just try it but the case on this thing is so damn fiddly (I've taken apart a LOT of laptops and this is one of the worst) I don't want to open it twice. Maybe I'll just pick up a good 16GB kit and call it a day.
you dont have to take it part twice, just once and test both ways with it torn open.
that would work too.

Last edited:
you dont have to take it part two, just once and test both ways with it torn open.
that would work too.

I feel fully tarded now, why didn't I think of that. I'll give it a try when the windows updates finish.

8+4 is fine if it works in dual channel (check CPUID or other similar program). You'll only run into performance issues if you are using over 8GB since that would be the point where it's all being mapped to a single stick.

Back