Laptop battery life: 55Wh vs 93Wh

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
I know this is a tricky question as the use of a laptop can very greatly. But is there an average? If I'm getting about 3 hours and 20 minutes out of a new laptop and battery with a 55Wh and I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade to a 93Wh considering the cost.

It's disappointing to see this info out there about a laptop being able to get 6-6.5 hours on a battery. Especially a 6 cell. When I can get 50% of that and that's not even doing all that much on the laptop. There is a 7200RPM drive in the laptop which I'm fine with and I know that's part of the equation. But such a discrepancy.

Anyway... your feedback is appreciated.

If I can get 3.33 hours on a 55Wh would I get something like 5.62 hours on a 93Wh? 93/55 is 1.69. 3.33 x 1.69 is 5.62. My math is pretty good but my calculating ratios can suck.

Most batteries that ship with laptops are pretty bad. The durability, especially the last two years on HP 6-cells, is horrible.

I would always, always, always pay to get the upgraded high capacity 9 cell batteries. It's the heart of the laptop.

Okay... but my what an estimate of how much more time based on switching to that size of battery? I don't have much of a budget at all but this is somewhat of a PITA.

And do keep in mind that while doubling battery capacity doubles battery life, it also doubles battery charging time. My MBP gets about 3 hours, but takes 5 to charge up, so even with plugging it in during the day, it usually limps home running pretty low. If I added 50% more capacity, it wouldn't even charge overnight.

I got a dell studio 1558 with dedicated graphics and i get 5 hrs run time out of 83W/hr. Charge time is not very long at about 2.5 to 3 hrs as I have a 90W adapter to go with it. IF you get the larger battery, get the larger adapter you need to properly charge it.

Back