laptop battery conditioning

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
What is the point? I do what is said and doesn't seem to do any good right now I have an Asus NJ 550 JK which does not want to charge. It hasn't been used for around a month it was shut down with about 70 percent charge. However when I powered it up today the battery was totally discharged. Why bother conditioning for storage if the charge is going to be gone in a week or two?

I just looked that laptop up - it says it's from 2014? The fact that your battery lasted this long is pretty good. A replacement battery is $20.

Nope just had to disconnect the battery internally. Hooked it backed up now it's working ok

Lithium batteries don't "condition" the way the older NMH and NiCad ones did.

With Lithium, once it's dead, it's dead.

But they do get confused. I have a yoga that would not even turn and a friend said try totally unhooking it internally and it also came back to life.......and it is a 2013 model

I just looked that laptop up - it says it's from 2014? The fact that your battery lasted this long is pretty good. A replacement battery is $20.
3 years isn't that long for modern lithium ions. It won't hold 100% of it's new capacity, but shouldn't be dead. A good lithium can last 2000 cycles - that's 5.4 years if you cycle it once every single day. I have a 3 year old laptop that just died for other reasons - it's non removable battery was still working for at least 4.5 hours, when it was new it would only last about 5 hours. It would still have many years left in it if other parts of the laptop hadn't died...

Same goes with my phone battery. My phone is almost 3 years old, still going strong on the original battery that I cycle almost completely every day. I even have an original Galaxy Note that I occasionally use with the original battery still working - not sure how old that is but I think at least 5 years. Not full original capacity but still usable.

Back