Laptop Batteries ... Not Charging ... Creators Update

jimh425

Gawd
My HP x360 Spectre stopped charging a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, that also makes it not usable plugged in once the battery is dead. I found conflicting info, but a new battery fixed my case. It was 2 1/2 years old.

Along the way, I noticed the new setting in the Windows 10 Creators Update. Has anyone here played around with the settings? It's apparently only active on some versions of intel processors.

so you got a new battery and its not charging?
what setting? post a pic.

It wasn't charging with the old battery. Now, I have a new battery. It says it is alternating between a discharging and charging now.

The setting is in a popup window from the battery icon.
20180112_184351_resized.jpg

are you talking about the slider or the settings button? the slider is the same thing as the power plans just easier. the settings I can remember and will need to fire up a laptop to look at...

exit windows and load the BIOS does it charge there? If so, you got a windows settings problem

Just an update, charger didn't help. Next up DC plug adapter. Another common failure point.

sound like the charge circuit had packed it in. when you were in doing the socket change was it on a separate pcb or on the mobo?

if its a known issue and people have gotten DOA replacements I'd just replace it. its only gonna happen again unless they have made revisions to the mobo design. you could call hp parts as a last resort, they might have more info.

The issue is $400 or more for a motherboard for a 2 1/2 year old laptop. HP doesn't sell the motherboard any more.

I meant replace the whole thing not the board. its not worth it in my opinion. it'll be a crap shoot if you get a good mobo from who-knows-where and even then its only a matter of time before it fails again. I'd buy new and sell the old for parts/part it out.

That's what I was thinking, too.

I'm not really sure how much I need a laptop since things have changed with my usage. I've been playing with an Ipad Pro 10.5 which is ridiculously fast with Keyboard and Pencil as a replacement. It's pretty good although quite a lot heavier with the keyboard all of the time.

I still have my gaming desktop that has 3 monitors for real PC work.

It doesn't turn on.

if the laptop does not turn on, then it is the power circuitry. remove the battery and try to power it up, if that does not work, you are going to have to replace the power board if separate or the entire mainboard...

Good luck with that...

Back