Laptop as HTPC?

An HTPC should be compact, quiet, and able to blend into a home theater system without looking out of place. A laptop with HDMI output seems to be a perfect solution. Not counting tuner cards, what are the disadvantages to using a laptop as an HTPC?

I would say that price would probably be a disadvantage, although having a portable HTPC would be very nice. The 17" notebook in my sig has worked great with occasional htpc use. Its got HDMI out and is veyr quiet. I had to look quite hard to find an internal PCI-E tuner card but did find one. I suppose you could use a usb tuner if that fit your bill.

Besides the tuner issue, sound output is big hurdle. I can't think of ANY laptop model with either analog 6 channel audio or optical/coax SPDIF output, so you'll have to get a external USB soundcard for it, and there are only few models of that.

Besides the tuner issue, sound output is big hurdle. I can't think of ANY laptop model with either analog 6 channel audio or optical/coax SPDIF output, so you'll have to get a external USB soundcard for it, and there are only few models of that.

The last few Dell laptops I've owned all have a Coax out with a $14 dongle. Thats how my laptop is plugged in right now. I can't imagine Dell are the only ones that do this.

As for the second part, there are many USB audio adapters out that work great. I have a Turtle Beach Audio Amigo that works like a champ and has an optical out, plus it was only about $40.

I still wouldn't do it but it all depends on what you're trying to use it for; not too many laptops come with HDMI out on then and not too many laptops have HDCP on their DVI out port either. Second is that most IGPs suck in laptops unless you go for a midrange option (those tend to come with either 8600 series or 2600 series GPUs); while you don't need a hefty GPU for HTPC tasks you do want something that is above the regular Intel IGPs that is kind of ubiquitous on an entry level laptop. Either way you're still spending $1000 or more for a laptop that has the right mix of gear for an HTPC which is about the same you'd spend if you had built your own HTPC (you'd see more value for the money if you built it though).

I still wouldn't do it but it all depends on what you're trying to use it for; not too many laptops come with HDMI out on then and not too many laptops have HDCP on their DVI out port either. Second is that most IGPs suck in laptops unless you go for a midrange option (those tend to come with either 8600 series or 2600 series GPUs); while you don't need a hefty GPU for HTPC tasks you do want something that is above the regular Intel IGPs that is kind of ubiquitous on an entry level laptop. Either way you're still spending $1000 or more for a laptop that has the right mix of gear for an HTPC which is about the same you'd spend if you had built your own HTPC (you'd see more value for the money if you built it though).

HDCP capability is pointless if the laptop doesn't have a Blue-Ray or HDDVD drive. As for IGPs, most Core/Core 2 CPU in laptops can handle HD formats easily. If it's chocking slightly, just get CoreAVC codec. You don't need a powerful GPU if you're willing to sacrifice slight image quality for speed. With sufficient external drive storage, even a $500-600 laptop can serve as HTPC pretty well.

HDCP capability is pointless if the laptop doesn't have a Blue-Ray or HDDVD drive.
You know, you can buy external HD DVD/BR drives (or potentially pop an LG dual format drive into an external enclosure) and use that. The drive doesn't need to be build into the laptop in order for someone to actually make use of one. That has to be one of the stupidest reasons to do something that I've ever heard. :rolleyes:

As for IGPs, most Core/Core 2 CPU in laptops can handle HD formats easily. If it's chocking slightly, just get CoreAVC codec.
What does the CPU have to do with the GPU? No body is saying that a C2D isn't able to handle VC-1 content (you're joking if you're suggesting that one can easily handle H264 though) so that isn't the issue.
You don't need a powerful GPU
Since when has a 8600/8500 series GPU been considered "powerful?"
if you're willing to sacrifice slight image quality for speed. With sufficient external drive storage, even a $500-600 laptop can serve as HTPC pretty well.
..... You're fucking joking, right? Whats the point of going with an HTPC if it's going to look like crap? You might as well just buy an upconverting DVD player or just stick a 360 under the TV and use the dashboard to playback videos. That was the worst post of "suggestions" ever. :rolleyes:

Back