Laptop ~$1k- what are my options?

masteraleph

Limp Gawd
So I'm looking for a laptop for about $1k. This is not going to be my primary computer (that honor will still reside with my desktop, which will hopefully limp along through next year). I need something that's relatively portable, as I'll probably be carrying it around quite a bit. 12.1" is to be avoided (too small), and obviously 17" as well (too big).

With that, I've been looking at the following sorts of systems:

Dell- E1505 and B130. I'm assuming some fairly heavy couponage, such as the $450 off of $1499 going on now (and which is not excessively unusual). With that discount, the B130 ends up configured like Pentium-M 735, XP-Pro, 1GB and 80GB, a/b/g wireless, 2x6 cell batteries, 2 year warranty, integrated graphics, 15.4 WXGA screen. The E1505 looks about the same, except CoreDuo 1.66, Mobility X1300, 9 cell battery, and 1 year instead of 2. Oh, and both with DVD+RDL burners.

Then, of course, there are other companies, which don't tend to have such discounts. Lenovo's Thinkpads (formerly IBM) seem out of reach, but their Lenovo 3000 C100s seem doable. Is anyone familiar with their quality? FWIW, the Lenovo ends up looking like:
Pentium-M 740, 15.0"XGA, 1GB RAM, CDRW/DVDROM, XP Pro, A/B/G wireless, 8 cell battery, 1 year warranty. Obviously not up to the Dell specs, but if the standards are up to Thinkpad quality, it might be worth it. Roughly equal tax to the Dells. There's also about an $80 savings against the Dell.

There are of course HP and Toshiba, neither of which I've particularly researched, but if you think something's better, I'm open to suggestions.

Either the dell you were refering too (Which I recommend) or a Kit computer based of the Unwill model that is like the sentia from alienware, I think the kit # is 2332i or 3223i something like that...

The dell with coupon = awesome... especially since you'd get duo core. Yummy.

I setup 3 b130s at a church and they seem to be pretty good but I would go with the E1505 as it just would be a better unit because of the dual core chip. I will say if you order a dell check the memory out. A lot of times you can save some cash by buying the unit with the least amount of ram and buying the ram off the net somewhere elce. Hell one of my friends bought the ram seperate from the notebook from dell(ordered it at the same time) because it was cheaper and that way they would warranty the entire thing with the ram in it.

where could i pick up at 450 of 1500 coupon? i'm planning to make that exact purchase (the e1505) this week, so i'd love to get in on the savings (also aiming for $1kish)

bensbargains.net, there was a $300 off coupon earlier this week. Almost went for the E1505 but waiting to see new ibooks/macbooks 1st.

The E1505 was going for near $650 last week. I would hold off buying until another deal like it comes up.

I have to purchase this laptop within the next 2 days - whats the best deal i'm going to get on a 14-15.4" for 1k? I'm shopping around but i'm curious if anyone else has spotted any deals

I'm looking at the e1505 and 6400 at Dell Home and Small Business respectively. These seem to be pretty nice laptops for the money and I will probably end up buying one. You can configure them to meet your $1k budget. The 6400's are $400 off of $1300 right now, I don't know if the e1505's have the same deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834146127

Just bought that model yesterday and had it overnight shipped and I am currently typing on it now.

WOW, I mean, this is my frist laptop and I decided to go with this over a Dell because of the many reviews I have read about the R52. Very sturdy feeling and good selection of pre-installed software (none of that crappy bloatware). Has performed very well. I was even playing Half-Life 2 on it earlier (dedicated 64mb ATI X300). It wasnt cranked all the way up but it definitely wasn't unplayable. The only recommendation I can make it get another 512 or 1 gig of RAM for it. Wireless has been excellent for me. QUIET! With default settings this thing is whisper quiet. The keyboard makes a bit of a tickety sound when you click but it doesn't bother me at all. I would look into this model especially if your looking into a 1k or less lappy.

Its 849 (after rebates) + shipping.

Back