Lapping Radeon VII stock cooler to improve temps?

nazaag

n00b
Hello everyone, im new over here.

I been reading but cant find much info, i've read some people say that the heatsink cooler of the RVII is a bit concave, and i was wondering if i could do some lapping with some fine grit sandpaper and patience to improve its surface.
The reason why i am interested in doing this is because my GPU reachs 115 degree on its hottest spot and games start crashing. I cant even maintain it properly with the A/C pointing at my open case computer. I can only play 4k on winter, right now i am playing 1080p60 on my 4k screen so it doesnt overheats.
I know the GPU has a custom thermal pad, but i also have some liquid metal around or even some good thermal paste (cm mastergel maker nano, about 12 w/mk)

PS: I am literally not able to sell this card or buy a new one. In my country we are facing really bad economics and my salary right now is about 200 usd, so you can imagine i dont have too much to spend on tech.

I been reading but cant find much info, i've read some people say that the heatsink cooler of the RVII is a bit concave, and i was wondering if i could do some lapping with some fine grit sandpaper and patience to improve its surface.
The reason why i am interested in doing this is because my GPU reachs 115 degree on its hottest spot and games start crashing. I cant even maintain it properly with the A/C pointing at my open case computer. I can only play 4k on winter, right now i am playing 1080p60 on my 4k screen so it doesnt overheats.
I know the GPU has a custom thermal pad, but i also have some liquid metal around or even some good thermal paste (cm mastergel maker nano, about 12 w/mk)

PS: I am literally not able to sell this card or buy a new one. In my country we are facing really bad economics and my salary right now is about 200 usd, so you can imagine i dont have too much to spend on tech.
If you can find one: EK Quantum Vector Radeon VII water block and a 45mm x 420mm copper rad. Temps, fugotaboutit.

How long have you run this card? The fans and fins could be covered in dust and dirt. Smoking puts a sticky surface on those fins and you get more dust. Contact cleaner will fix that but do it with the cooler removed from the gpu. In some parts of my country rental pc's come back dead and they are full of cockroaches. Take the case outside in the sun light to open it. Best wishes, max

How long have you run this card? The fans and fins could be covered in dust and dirt. Smoking puts a sticky surface on those fins and you get more dust. Contact cleaner will fix that but do it with the cooler removed from the gpu. In some parts of my country rental pc's come back dead and they are full of cockroaches. Take the case outside in the sun light to open it. Best wishes, max
i've been running it since april 2020. drivers were shit back then now they're ok. the card is clean, i dont smoke and i guarantee you i dont have cockroaches on my computer lol. the only thing that helped me was undervolting to 1000mv. it runs cool at that voltage and seems quite stable, havent had crashes, maybe once a month or so, even less, and temps are ok now not even reaching 105 degree on the hottest part of the core.

Back