Lapped Quad turning blue?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a lapped quad with a lapped TRUE and my temps have always been great. I have never seen them over 63C after hours of Prime. I took apart my system today to get ready for a new mobo and noticed a wierd blue edge on my cpu and it left teh same blue imprint on my cooler. It almost looks like heat but not sure how this could be. I use CoreTemp to check my temps along with my mobo software. Both show good temps. System has always been very stable. I was gonna re-lap them both before re-building. Anyone else run into this? I know the cooler isn't very flat. CrazyPC did the lapping and its not as flat as I would like. The CPU is fairly flat checking with a razor blade. I am wondering if its just some reaction and not heat related.

EDIT: Adding a pic although the dark areas are actually blue in color they seem to show up more dark in the photo.

bluecpu.jpg

Doesn't copper oxidise to a blue color? Maybe it had some contamination on the surface when your seated it last time. Possible that the edge had the most force on it and the heat was more concentrated in that area causing the discoloration. I'd do a very fine lap on both and make sure they are totally clean before applying the next TIM. Make sure that the TIM covers the whole surface of both and no trapped air. Try to get even mounting force on the heatsink install.

Copper oxidizes to a black colour actually, but it could appear blue depending on the light. This type of corrosion is actually fairly common, and it's most likely caused by the thermal paste. However, it's really nothing to worry about. Just clean it off and remount everything, and you'll be golden.

I can't really tell by the photo, but it looks like a ring (of copper oxide) around where the CPU contacts the HSF base, heat only serves to speed up oxidation. I would also be sure to remove it before reseating the HSF.

Thanks for the replys.. I am thinking the same thing and will just double check the lap job they did on the HSF and go ahead and clean up the CPU also.

On a side note, are you running with your multi at 8?
I have the same mobo & quad & am running mine at 9 at 3.6.
Just curious is all.
Waiting for the day I try for 3.9/4GHz.
My quad isn't even lapped & my temps are low. 27 26 21 22. That last part is odd that the 4th core is a tad higher than the 3rd.

Copper oxidizes to a black colour actually, but it could appear blue depending on the light.

Or if it gets wet/absorbs water.

Sounds like corrosion to me. It's possible it wasn't cleaned well after lapping. You might try a different thermal paste after cleaning it up if you're sure it was originally clean.

Or if it gets wet/absorbs water.

Sounds like corrosion to me. It's possible it wasn't cleaned well after lapping. You might try a different thermal paste after cleaning it up if you're sure it was originally clean.

After lapping I cleaned the whole CPU in Alcohol and then used a hair dryer. I let the cpu sit for a while and then used arctic clean on the surface. It seems like it has more to do with the paste then anything. Who knows. Its humid as hell in Texas :).

On a side note, are you running with your multi at 8?
I have the same mobo & quad & am running mine at 9 at 3.6.
Just curious is all.
Waiting for the day I try for 3.9/4GHz.
My quad isn't even lapped & my temps are low. 27 26 21 22. That last part is odd that the 4th core is a tad higher than the 3rd.

I can hit 3.6 but only get a couple hours of prime stability. I can run 3dmark and games but if I can't pass prime for 8 hours I wont run it 24/7 like that. The bump in voltages it takes to get 3.6ghz create more heat then my cooler can keep up with. I am running 8x425 = 3.4ghz @ 1.38V. After this it takes massive voltage increases to get it stable. Its just not worth the extra heat and noise from fans to keep it cool. My system is silent with this setup. If I was on Water like you it might be a different story :)

Back