lapped my q6600 (pics and temp results)

I have 3 setups, each with GA-EP35-DS3R, Q6600 G0 (stock clock), Zalman 9500's...

On one, I lapped CPU/HS and used AS5.. temps identical.

On second, I lapped CPU and used AS5.. temps identical.

On third, I left both stock and used the thermaltake white tube.. temps identical..

My idle temps average between 30-35c and 100% load temps are about 50c. This is using CPU ID HW Monitor, which uses a TMAX of 100c. Core Temp shows the same #'s as well. Room temp: 22.2c

I also know how to lap as on my Pentium D 930 I shaved about 10c or so off of my full load temps. I'd also like to add I tried various methods of AS5 application, all of which resulted in the same temps.. Even tried using the white thermal paste that comes with the zalman 9500, same temps as the AS5.

On one of the tests I ran no thermal paste.. my idle temps were 2c higher, but full load temps went up to 64c, about 16c higher than when using thermal paste.

The two Q6600's I did lap were convex, which is why I think I may not have shown any gains.. I lapped them all the way to 2000 grit too..

Its really frustrating going through the work of lapping and not gaining anything.. especially when others are showing so many gains..

@MDX - maybe your chips weren't very bad? Did you noticed material came off the sides or center first like in my pics?

Ya, i wrote that they were convex.. so the material came off the middle first.. it looked like a gold pea, then penny, then dime, then quarter.. until it got all the way to the edges..

I'm definately not lapping my third setup, lol.

I read your post.

What are your full load temps? What do you use to measure those temps?

Forgive me for being ignorant, but why would you wet anything? And how do you stabilize the sandpaper exactly (assuming that the CPU/HSF is the item that is in motion, whereas the sandpaper is stationary)? Thinking of doing this mildly on a desk, once I get an E8400.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but why would you wet anything? And how do you stabilize the sandpaper exactly (assuming that the CPU/HSF is the item that is in motion, whereas the sandpaper is stationary)? Thinking of doing this mildly on a desk, once I get an E8400.

Ideally, you'd want a piece of metal or glass--anything flat, really--to adhere the sandpaper to. I used tape to stick some sandpaper to a piece of glass, I believe, when lapping my E6600.

Are we talking PERFECTLY flat, or just visibly flat? Could I tape the sandpaper to a table, and scrub the proc on that?

Perfectly flat. Glass is usually your best bet. Put the sandpaper on a piece of glass, tape around the edges so it won't move on you. Flip your processor IHS down against the glass with sandpaper up, and move the processor back & forth.

Like someone else mentioned about 10-20 times one way, turn 90 degrees, repeat, keep doing it over & over.

You can start with something like 200 grit, then 400, then 600, etc.. you can use water too by putting it on the sandpaper, with the ultra fine stuff if you want.

The orientation of the processor should keep water from getting on anything other than the IHS.

Yes, you do loose your warranty. If you look at the rate of return on processors, it's staggeringly low. I work at a service center repairing computers. By the time they get filtered down to me it's almost definately a hardware problem. I replace maybe one processor every other month. I go through roughly 200 computers a month. Thats about a .25% failure rate for processors. Yes I realize that this isn't a concrete statistic, it's just an abstract. But I'm sure anyone who works on computers for a living can corroborate the fact that processors rarely go bad anymore.

in your warranty return experiences, have you come across any lapped processors?

If so did they result in a voided warranty? :eek:

Nope, shaving off bits of an extremely sensitive piece of electronic equipment actually lengthens the warranty period. Manufacturers strongly encourage it.

Or not.

Man, I'm seriously considering lapping my Q6600 or E8400 (depending on if i trade in my quad for the E8400 or not) before I setup my Shuttle again.

So, how does one lap a HSF like TRUE or XIGMATEK S1283? I'm afraid there will be more damage to the fins than there will be gain from making the contact surface super flat ... and if I hold it by the pipes I'll e definitely putting more pressure on one side than the other.

I would buy a used lapped Q6600... as long as they at least guaranteed me it would work on arrival and not just be a DOA.

Ditto, hell ill even pay the same price or 10 bucks more if its a decent stepping and its lapped. Win/win right there. I think intel does not replace chips if you overclock, not sure, but if so, its already not a factor

Back