lapped my q6600 (pics and temp results)

i remember i lapped my Geforce 1 GPU, never try to sell it since it stop working after i tried to do some extreme overclocking :(

i didn´t measure the temps so i couldn´t say if there was any noticeable temp difference.

Well, never mind...

I asked then answered my own question. After about 4 hours I've got almost all the nickel plating off my A64 3000+.

-V

Cool man, did you take any pics along the way? What about before and after temps?

ahhh ... didn't get any pics along the way... Pretty much looked like yours through the lapping process. I'll snap a few once I put everything together.

Just got finished lapping and putting a mirror finish on it, I'm currently waiting for my new water cooling set up to get delivered, old one had it. It was my first set up, and wasn't as good as I could've made it.

This new rig will go on an E6600 tied into a ASUS P5N32-E SLI intended for a crazy OC. While I'm finishing buying the components for that system, I'm going to see what I can do with this outdated A64 3000+. Who knows maybe I'll get a sick over clock!!

So give me about 2 weeks, and I'll let ya know what happened.

-V

I measured my Celeron D 356 and the edge has a thin line (or higher level) all around the CPU. This line creates a gap for the inner IHS. I was just experimenting with a sand paper on this edge alone, but somehow I also accidently sanded the inner CPU inprinted (or whatever you call it), so I said to myself "Here I go" and sanded the whole thing. Now, no warranty if the CPU ever dies. But it's a cheap CPU, so I could careless. I lowered the temp from 42 (idle) and 60 (loaded) to about 37 and 52 respectively.

I lowered the temp from 42 (idle) and 60 (loaded) to about 37 and 52 respectively.

An 8 °C drop in load temps is nothing to sneeze at... is your HS lapped as well? If not doing it may yield a further decrease.

An 8 °C drop in load temps is nothing to sneeze at... is your HS lapped as well? If not doing it may yield a further decrease.

Yeah, I lapped both the HS and CPU at the same time. I will let it break-in for a few days and see if it improves or not.

Very cool results.

The last CPUs/HSs I lapped were my old Celeron 400's. You can get 500/1000/2000 grit sand paper for pretty cheap in the auto section at Wal-Mart. You can get machine glaze (at Napa auto parts) or swirl mark remover (at Wal-Mart) if you want to remove the 2000 grit swirles. (just apply it with flannel or microweave with the same motions as the 2000 grit sand paper).

A piece of glass makes a great surface to do the lapping.

Thanks for taking the time to graph/document your results!

21-May Update: Re-ran the benchmark since it's been about 300 hours after the heatsink was seated on the AS5. You can see the temps have dropped by another 2-3 °C from when I initially seated it, so I guess the "break in" period is real.

Lapped my E6300 and slapped on a Fuzion CPU block (over my lapped and modified TDX)...

10c drop!

Wish I had a straight lapped temperature delta, but my TDX shattered :eek:

Very nice results guys...this really makes me want to grab some sand paper and lap my E4300 while under the stock cooler. Aside from having a better temperature comparison, I have a really bad feeling that this thing is horribly concave...and I've always lapped my CPU's...but being my first LGA775 chip it should be that much easier...I remember how paranoid I was about bending pins on my 3.4E back in the day. :p

I'm planning on lapping my Q6600 as well after reading your thread.

Just wondering, did you find out anything specifically related to lapping this chip?

If not, what guides did you use before getting started? Links if you please? ;)

I'm planning on lapping my Q6600 as well after reading your thread.

Just wondering, did you find out anything specifically related to lapping this chip?

If not, what guides did you use before getting started? Links if you please? ;)

I did, but I no longer have them bookmarked. Only thing to know about quads is to watch out for that little space in the chip (see the first post of this thread.. all my pics show this space in the bottom of the chip. Make sure you don't get moisture or debris in there. Beyond that, it's pretty much as I described it.

Thanks for the pointer. After putting "lapping q6600" I've found just about every copy/paste you did to just about every hardware forum on the net. You have a Google bomb of a copy/paste job when searching using those two terms. I've been trying to some links related to q6600 lapping that aren't what you've reiterated elsewhere, but it has been hard. You're a darn fine spammar! :D ;):p

The proper way to lap something is to use a figure - 8 motion. This way all the surfaces have forces applied evenly. If you just go back and forth the surface will never be truly flat. Rotating it 90* is a little better, but if you want truly flat the 8 motion is the only way to go. Unless someone wants to try the surface grinder?

13% temp difference or adding better cooling to my case and not voiding my warranty lol. More power too ya looks like a good job anyways.

Oh my GOD!

I JUST grew the balls to lap my Q6600, and MAN what a difference! Before I was loading at:
C1: 69
C2: 60
C3: 57
C4: 55

Now I'm loading at:
C1: 63
C3: 48
C4: 42

So, At least a delta of 6c on the hottest running core, and a delta of 13c on the already cool cores!

Wow!

Oh my GOD!

I JUST grew the balls to lap my Q6600, and MAN what a difference! Before I was loading at:
C1: 69
C3: 57
C4: 55

Now I'm loading at:
C1: 63
C3: 48
C4: 42

So, At least a delta of 6c on the hottest running core, and a delta of 13c on the already cool cores!

Wow!

nice going. looks like you could even out those numbers with experimenting on the mounting of the heatsink
edit: waterblock. was going to say, 48/42 is real impressive for air.

what are your ambients? i was getting decent temps for a week or so when cold weather first struck. now the landlord's got the heat on and temps are back up to what they usually are. guess in a few weeks, i'm going to buy some more tubing and hang my rad out the window

nice going. looks like you could even out those numbers with experimenting on the mounting of the heatsink
edit: waterblock. was going to say, 48/42 is real impressive for air.

what are your ambients? i was getting decent temps for a week or so when cold weather first struck. now the landlord's got the heat on and temps are back up to what they usually are. guess in a few weeks, i'm going to buy some more tubing and hang my rad out the window

My current ambient is 25.8c according to both my thermometers :)

As for evening out the temperatures... not possible. I've mounted this block, remounted it, hardmounted it, you name it... Nothing helps. Must be bad contact with the IHS. Oh well, I'm not complaining. 3600mhz at 1.5v and loading at ~64c?

And, me too... It's freakin hot in here.

What do you guys think the best way is to apply thermal compound to these lapped processors? I see in original post that he just put a thin line down the center and then seated his heatsink on top of that. I have always used a razor blade to evenly spread a think layer across the whole top of the cpu before seating the heatsink. Wouldn't this make more sense so it gets dispersed more evenly? Wouldn't one line down the center, even after it squishes out, cause there to be more compound in the middle than the edges?
- Mike

Good god this thread has been resurrected like 5 times. Just do the grain of rice trick.

Good god this thread has been resurrected like 5 times. Just do the grain of rice trick.
You have to admit though that its a good thread. Shows how a little sandpaper can go a long way in reducing temps without spending a lot.

@ThePGuy - Have a look at my overclocking guide in the temp management section. For quads, you wanna do the thin line method like this:
line800qe9.jpg

You actually wanna use less then that photo but you get the idea.

@skizzled - thanks, once people grow the balls to lap their processor, they find that it isn't so bad and their temps drop like a stone.

Hah, yeah. Although I haven't actually done it myself (I don't have the cahones right now, still searching for them), it seems to really help especially with how current heatspreaders are basically set in stone and are very risky to remove. Thanks for the informative post.

i willnever lap my cpu..
never

i will never be able to sell it to anyone else if i do that to it..:(

Exactly, plus it kills your warranty, this isnt a mod for the average user, just those well off enough to not really give a rats ass about there warranty and resale value.

I just lapped my true and q6600. It took a really long time too... I did it over the course of 2 afternoons. Temps stayed the same.. if not.. maybe 1-2c better.

I wasted my time =\. Used 220, 400, then 800 grit on both cpu and heatsink, then applied ceramique with a thin line, and even used the washer mod on my true, but temps are still the same. At least it isnt worse... I suppose.

@finala - are you sure you finished? How did you test both components for flatness? Look carefully along the edges of the IHS, do they appear to be totally flat? I had to go back and do mine a few times to get it right. Also, are you sure your vcore is manually set and that you're making a valid comparison? I haven't seen anyone lap a quad and not lose at least 5 °C.

Lapped a e6750 -

It was still concave towards the outer edges, but temps still went down... from 58 load, to 52 load.
I'll probably re-do, but I can't figure out if it's the cpu that's concave, or the heatsink..

I have got to get around to lapping my Q6600.

But before I do, I need to get an orbital sander. Lapping goes so much faster if you use an orbital sander. Gets it just as flat also.

I wanna break 3.7Ghz and know it should be easily possible once I lap this CPU.

@finala - are you sure you finished? How did you test both components for flatness? Look carefully along the edges of the IHS, do they appear to be totally flat? I had to go back and do mine a few times to get it right. Also, are you sure your vcore is manually set and that you're making a valid comparison? I haven't seen anyone lap a quad and not lose at least 5 °C.

I used a razerblade and flash light to test for flatness. The edges weren't perfectly flat for both the cpu and hs, but majority was. My vcore is 1.4625 before and after @ 3.6 ghz. My ambient temps were the same each day.

I would end up lapping more, but i felt like i "overlapped" or did too much lapping. I spent more than 12 hours lapping both the hs and cpu all together... Would you suggest I keep on lapping?

I used a razerblade and flash light to test for flatness. The edges weren't perfectly flat for both the cpu and hs, but majority was. My vcore is 1.4625 before and after @ 3.6 ghz. My ambient temps were the same each day.

I would end up lapping more, but i felt like i "overlapped" or did too much lapping. I spent more than 12 hours lapping both the hs and cpu all together... Would you suggest I keep on lapping?

Dunno without seeing your hardware honestly. If you remove the HS from the CPU, is the TIM more or less evenly distributed or is it pooled in one area? That can be a clue that you still have uneven surfaces.

Have you tried the marker dot method? Make a 3x3 grid of dots across the processor's IHS with a sharpie marker:

Code:
|            |
| X    X    X|

Now use your high grit (800 or 1000) about 10x in one direction, rotation 90 degrees and repeat. Did they wear evenly? You can do the same thing w/ the base of the HS.

How much TIM did you use? It doesn't take much at all with lapped surfaces. Did you apply it using the line method and if so did you get the orientation correct? Quads and duals are offset by 90 ° relative to each other. In other words, make sure you put the line over the cores. See the documentation on AS5's website.

But before I do, I need to get an orbital sander. Lapping goes so much faster if you use an orbital sander. Gets it just as flat also.

You're crazy to put a power tool to a precision item like a processor. I think you'd have an extremely tough time ending-up with a flat product when you're finished if you use an orbital sander, but to each his own.

Exactly, plus it kills your warranty, this isnt a mod for the average user, just those well off enough to not really give a rats ass about there warranty and resale value.

Seriously, does anybody who takes this stance actually research this?

Resale value
Used lapped q6600 - $209 (not even a very good lap job)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Q6600-w-S...yZ141323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Used/new non-lapped - around $210
http://computers.search-completed.e...2QQfromZR10QQguestZ1QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZ141323

------

Used lapped e6550 - $115.77
http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Core-2-Du...yZ141323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Used/new non-lapped - around $115
http://search-completed.ebay.com/se...&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=2&fgtp=

This was just a quick search too. I've seen lapped processors sell on ebay/BST forums/craigslist go for around the same price, if not more, than similar non lapped ones.

Warranty
Yes, you do loose your warranty. If you look at the rate of return on processors, it's staggeringly low. I work at a service center repairing computers. By the time they get filtered down to me it's almost definately a hardware problem. I replace maybe one processor every other month. I go through roughly 200 computers a month. Thats about a .25% failure rate for processors. Yes I realize that this isn't a concrete statistic, it's just an abstract. But I'm sure anyone who works on computers for a living can corroborate the fact that processors rarely go bad anymore.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I decided to lap my TRUE and q6600 after reading this thread, and I'm very happy with the results. After lapping and the washer mod, my temps are 8-10 degrees cooler. Thanks a lot for posting the overclocking guide and lapping results.

Back