LAPD's New High-Tech Police Cruiser

HardOCP News

[H] News
Don't let the wimpy looks of the LAPD's new high-tech police cruiser fool you, this thing is pretty bad ass. The units have Infrared night vision camera, automatic license plate reader, touch screen dash...the works.

The car can exchange data via thumb drives, WiFi and an experimental wireless-mesh network, which the video tour below curiously does not explain in detail. It can even pick up suspects’ footprints in the dark, for crying out loud.

Due to spending $1 million dollars per car on footprint detection technology, LAPD will now have to layoff the entire department. Chevy hopes to install an AI to the new cars so they can do the police work themselves in a future update.

So basically what that video just told me, is don't move to LA. Cool, thanks for the information Steve.

Cops don't prevent crime, they respond to it. What a colossal waste of money.

Cops don't prevent crime, they respond to it. What a colossal waste of money.

The automatic license plate readers are actually really cool, and they could certainly help a cop prevent further crime.

Say what you will about the LAPD, but they get some cool toys. They really seem to love their helicopters too.

Wow. The local governments in LA must be just loaded with money if they can afford to spend that much on cop cars...

So now the cops have a car that will make them more efficient at eating donuts. Hmmm.

Wow. The local governments in LA must be just loaded with money if they can afford to spend that much on cop cars...
The county budget is over $3.3 billion, with nearly half going to police ($1.77 billion) services (including county jails). The po-po have a very powerful lobby.

LA County alone has a population higher than all but 7 states. The county spending reflects that.

Better response to crime always lowers crime. Always has.

and you've got some statistics on that, right? seems like LA has always been a forerunner in "crime response" and yet they maintain high crime rates.

places where people are allowed to defend themselves, on the other hand, traditionally have less law enforcement and less crime. statistics: http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=41196

The automatic license plate readers are actually really cool, and they could certainly help a cop prevent further crime.

It also reads plates of parked cars (as it rolls by) to see if there is unpaid tickets/regisration!! :eek::eek:

So basically what that video just told me, is don't move to LA. Cool, thanks for the information Steve.

No kidding. I'm far more concerned about criminals with badges and connections than run-of-the-mill lowlifes.

Wonder what the mpg will be with that 6.0 in it

Better than you might think. The engine is similar to the LS2 in my GTO. The Caprice weighs a bit more than my car does but the engine is a bit newer. I get 28MPG+ on the highway and I can get up to 16MPG in the city though I don't personally as I have a bit of a lead foot. :) And I believe their version of it will be a flex fuel engine.

and you've got some statistics on that, right? seems like LA has always been a forerunner in "crime response" and yet they maintain high crime rates.
Actually LA County has pretty average crime rates compared to the US on average. That is except for murder, which is higher in any major metropolitan area. Sorry to burst the TV and movie "grittiness" bubble that people think of when they hear L.A.

Despite the rhetoric, gun ownership doesn't have an overall large effect, if any, on preventing crime (FBI stats, ranked by municipalities... Los Angeles ranks 100th in crime overall, a little above the national average): http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009/MetroCrime2009_Rank_Rev.pdf Even amongst major cities, it ranks somewhat low. The next year after those stats, Los Angeles had its lowest crime rates in 50 years, with categories falling 8%-20%.

BTW, the plural of anecdote is not data. ;)

Better than you might think. The engine is similar to the LS2 in my GTO. The Caprice weighs a bit more than my car does but the engine is a bit newer. I get 28MPG+ on the highway and I can get up to 16MPG in the city though I don't personally as I have a bit of a lead foot. :) And I believe their version of it will be a flex fuel engine.

Nice. What year is your goat? 05, 06? Got a 2010 Chally myself.

They are friggin BROKE. This is one of the many reasons why.

I know that the money invested is to help them write more tickets which generates most of the income for the local government these days.

LA is not a nice place to live these days. Ask Adam Carolla about that. Actually don't, he might never shut up.

How long do you think it will take for hackers to have these things driving in circles? High end technology is not always the best option. Who is smarter in that arena, traffic police or your average 12 year old?

Waits for the headline, "12 year old with USB thumbdrive cripples LA police department", followed by "LA police department hires 12 year old hacker".

Actually LA County has pretty average crime rates compared to the US on average. That is except for murder, which is higher in any major metropolitan area. Sorry to burst the TV and movie "grittiness" bubble that people think of when they hear L.A.

Despite the rhetoric, gun ownership doesn't have an overall large effect, if any, on preventing crime (FBI stats, ranked by municipalities... Los Angeles ranks 100th in crime overall, a little above the national average): http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009/MetroCrime2009_Rank_Rev.pdf Even amongst major cities, it ranks somewhat low. The next year after those stats, Los Angeles had its lowest crime rates in 50 years, with categories falling 8%-20%.

BTW, the plural of anecdote is not data. ;)

hey, i agree with you - more guns doesn't mean less crime. consequently, you must agree that it also doesn't mean more crime. evidence suggests it's more about wealth than gun ownership. ironically, L.A. is both very rich and very poor. averages out real nicely, indeed ;)

Sorry, not impressed. Where's my shark with lasers on its head?

Actually, it would've been cool to have that stuff when I was a cop 10 years ago. Good for them.

700+ RWHP 04 owner here :)

You on any GTO forums?

Are the pigs driving those going to be worried about denting or scratching the vehicle while chasing a high speed car on pursuit?

California is in debt. Their prices are through the roof. They are retarded enough to elect Arnold Schwollenpecker for Governor... Now this.

Not surprising. Instead of spending money on more ways to act lazy (90% of which technology won't be used), try actually policing.

Wait WiFi and mesh network updates? Anyone want to start a betting pool on how long till someone hacks an LAPD car?

Wow, what is with all the snarky names for police here? Usually only hear that from lowlifes, which I thought wasn't this forum's clientelle.

I hear these also have 360' CCD sensors that alert them to when it's safe to beat up black people or not

I have a question for the Mods on this forum. Why do you post a link of a link to the article? Why not just post a link to the actual article? Is it because the first link we go to is filled with advertisements and that's how you get money?

Sorry, instead of buying them new toys. How about we buy them cheap smart cars and use the savings on gas and over priced gadgets to get the budget in line.

Wow, what is with all the snarky names for police here? Usually only hear that from lowlifes, which I thought wasn't this forum's clientelle.

this forum's clientele is mostly people who are capable of critical thinking. people with this capacity generally realize that a police force is mostly useless.

Back