LAPD: Stolen Tesla Involved in Police Chase Splits In Half

As we know, gasoline powered cars never catch on fire after splitting in half in a 100mph+ crash. NEVER.

:rolleyes:

You've been here how long and you still don't know that we DON'T write the headlines to these articles. :rolleyes: Then again, it would probably help to actually click the link / read the article before trying to make witty comments / insult people.

KTLA 5 headline: LAPD: Stolen Tesla Involved in Police Pursuit Crashes Into Cars, Splits in Half in WeHo; 7 Injured

KTLA 5 E-mail AP/newslink headline: LAPD: Stolen Tesla Involved in Police Chase Splits In Half

I used the latter because it was the shorter of the two.

I've been on this forum for 10 years and I didn't know this lol!

Yeah, that's true. The Tesla was never designed to be a fast car so it shouldn't be built to meet any sort of safety standard at all.

And that's why Paul Walker is still alive. The built to be fast Porsche totally did not catch fire after hitting that tree. Because it was "built to go fast" and apparently was built to some "safety standard that only fast cars have to meet.

:rolleyes:

Me neither I always thought they were from a sweaty dude in the backroom.
Who says the titles being written aren't from some sweaty dude in a backroom somewhere. Just shove the intern into the unventilated converted closet space to write titles all day.

Haven't decided on electric or fusion but Elon Musk seems like a respectable and humble guy having started from bottom and now at the forefront of automobile and space technology.

http://youtu.be/TQ6tZtGrShg

Love how Texas-based [H] HATES non-oil technology. :rolleyes:
The car has plastics 10:1 says it's petroleum based plastics, be in dashboard, body, enamel etc. Same with any foam used in the car, hell the car's batteries probably has some plastic lining somewhere inside of it. Then there are any lubricants used in the car i'm sure there are some

Even if we stopped using gas powered cars there would still be plenty of oil demand just not as much but hell it would probably mean the US would stop importing oil from canada and opec.

Cool news, but Elon Musk is crapping his pants!? For what? Judging by how long it took GM to finally come clean about millions of defective cars, I doubt you'd see action successfully taken against tesla anytime soon.

Judging by how long it took GM to finally come clean about millions of defective cars, I doubt you'd see action successfully taken against tesla anytime soon.

What type of action would that be? Failing to circumvent physics? If we had a material the could resist a 100mph impact with a huge metal pole tesla would be getting to space via an orbital elevator.

Yeah, that's true. The Tesla was never designed to be a fast car so it shouldn't be built to meet any sort of safety standard at all.

I cant wait to attend your graduation ceremony when you get your degree in mechanical engineering.

Cars split in half during high speed accidents all the time. A quick YT search will confirm.

Imagine showing up at a tesla crash with a standard neighborhood fire truck and they start pouring water on it... :eek:

That's what you're supposed to do. It cools the batteries.

Exactly how did you think fire departments handled gasoline fires all these years?

A gas car can catch fire, so they all almost always do. Nice logic skills.

The guy asked how many gas cars one might have seen catch fire in an accident in the past year. I was just answering that question. In any case, I said nothing that would imply what you seem to be. Nice reading comprehension skills, jackass.

This is bullshit because you compare old shitty cars to new luxury cars. New luxury cars do not catch fire after they run over a trailer hitch. A couple Teslas did.

Your comment made me laugh. You seem to imply that luxury cars are somehow immune to gas tank punctures and other fuel system damage. So are you saying its impossible for a luxury gasoline vehicle to drive over a trailer hitch and puncture the gas tank?

Indeed they do catch fire, just as frequently as non-luxury cars, for all the same reasons. A simple internet search will prove my point. I don't care how expensive the car is, or who made it... if you put gasoline in it, it has the potential to catch fire, explode even.

There was a kid in Toronto that got all shit-faced with his buddy and split his Range Rover in half length ways, killing his friend. That's way more impressive than splitting a sports car.

Funnily enough, I just played someone named "Elon Musk the Science guy" :D

Your comment made me laugh. You seem to imply that luxury cars are somehow immune to gas tank punctures and other fuel system damage. So are you saying its impossible for a luxury gasoline vehicle to drive over a trailer hitch and puncture the gas tank?

Indeed they do catch fire, just as frequently as non-luxury cars, for all the same reasons. A simple internet search will prove my point. I don't care how expensive the car is, or who made it... if you put gasoline in it, it has the potential to catch fire, explode even.

Depends. If you remember the old tank aka 90s S-class, the tank was between the C pillars, so very low exposure risk. However, Teslas did admit to a fault on the underbody, where road debris could ruin the vehicle. Solution was to install a titanium grade underbody skid plate.

Again nothing is impervious to road debris danger but, yes Tesla`s a WIP vehicle that has an excellent design staff always working to make the car better (heck you get free lifetime OTA system updates, local dealership only does that when HQ orders them with a Recall).

Depends. If you remember the old tank aka 90s S-class, the tank was between the C pillars, so very low exposure risk. However, Teslas did admit to a fault on the underbody, where road debris could ruin the vehicle. Solution was to install a titanium grade underbody skid plate.

Again nothing is impervious to road debris danger but, yes Tesla`s a WIP vehicle that has an excellent design staff always working to make the car better (heck you get free lifetime OTA system updates, local dealership only does that when HQ orders them with a Recall).

Forgot to add the S-class of the 90s the tank was between the c-pillars inside the vehicle.

Love how Texas-based [H] HATES non-oil technology. :rolleyes:

Love how people assume stuff like this :rolleyes: 10 years here and you don't know I have never stepped foot in the state of Texas. But hey, why let facts get in the way of insulting an entire state of people.

Cool news, but Elon Musk is crapping his pants!? For what? Judging by how long it took GM to finally come clean about millions of defective cars, I doubt you'd see action successfully taken against tesla anytime soon.

What action? I'm talking about Elon seeing his car embedded in a building on the 5 o'clock news. NO car maker wants to see their car in a scene like that. ;)

Steve IS a sweaty dude in the backroom.... :p

:D

Running away from the police is really dumb. Running away from the police in that everyone already knows is cheaply made, but overpriced a battery-operated, fireball-in-the-making death trap is a total Darwin Award waiting to happen.

Yes. That's why I don't buy anything made by GM.

ITT: That car had a huge battery in it! Obviously this makes it unsafe when hitting a pole at 100mph! Better to be safe and crash a fossil-fuel based car!

I'm saying that a new car of high quality does not have many problems of weak and worn hoses, missing and broken structural parts (belly pan), rust, etc that are more likely to fail during impact and cause a fire.

I wouldn't trust my new Ford Fusion to resist damage better than a real car. I scrape the belly pan of my car pulling onto highway onramps. It's a piece of shit, but still better than an old piece of shit.

Forgot to add the S-class of the 90s the tank was between the c-pillars inside the vehicle.

I'd bet good money that the 80s era Volvos had a greatly superior fire incident rate when they were new than the Tesla does.

I'd bet good money that the 80s era Volvos had a greatly superior fire incident rate when they were new than the Tesla does.

If you can post some stats ill happily accept that, but thats a bit outrageous without stats

im really impressed that the driver isnt dead. the front of the car was impaled in a building?!

thats fucking awesome.

Whatever. I know everyone has seen the episode of most extreme car chases where the guy in the black corvette hits the back of a semi trailer doing over a hundred MPH. The car explodes into thousands of small pieces and spits him out on the dirt shoulder.

Seems like the Tesla did just fine for T-boning a pole. Is the guy dead? That is the real issue here. The car's job is not to look good after a crash. It is to keep the occupants alive. I must admit that I didn't read the article. If the thief was mangled then they might have something to worry about.

Then again, if we have to wreck a Tesla every now and then to delete a car thief from existence, well, you know what they say about omelets and all that.

im really impressed that the driver isnt dead. the front of the car was impaled in a building?!

thats fucking awesome.

Why?? Were you cheering for the guy trying to outrun the cops and endanger thousands of peoples lives?

I like how people always talk about how the batteries are dangerous when they're on fire.

So is gas. :D

Sadly I can see the government (which is pro oil and anti green energy) try to use incidents like this to try to kill the electric car again.

Though if electric cars do become more common firefighters may need to be more aware and equipped to fight lithium ion battery fires as they probably do require a different method to fight. Same way grease and electrical fires require different approaches than regular fires.

Though knowing Tesla they may find a way to make the batteries safer even in crazy extreme situations like this.

If anything this shows the Tesla has better safety since the driver is still alive.

Back