LANParty with a Webstar DPX2203 - do I need a router or a switch?

knopflerbruce

Limp Gawd
I'm going to visit a friend in Germany soon, and we're going to arrange a small LAN party. However, he has a Webstar DPX2203, and neither of us know if we need a router or a switch to be able to be connected tot the web at the same time. It would be GREAT if someone would help a poor network noobie with this!:cool:

From the looks at the crappy manual, I don't believe that modem does any routing, so it definitely wouldn't be able to NAT.

Unless you have a L3 switch with NAT capabilities, you'll need a router in order for multiple machines to access the Internet, unless you're given multiple static addresses by the ISP (doubtful).

Although I highly recommend against it, you could also make one of the systems serve Windows ICS, if it had 2 NICs. You'd plug the one NIC into the webstar modem and the other NIC into your switch, and then give the other hosts the default gateway of the Windows ICS box.

Yeah, that should work without a problem. Just make sure you connect the modem to the dedicated WAN port.

Yup, router of some sort and most will allow up to 254 (/24) IP's behind them so you should be good to go.

Back