Lan wednesday

Superfly3176

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I decided on a Lan for wednesday and I figured I'd get more looks in here then in networking so here goes. I have a wrt54g router. All PC's will be wired, trying to get some routers etc. Will I have to do anything to let them see the game besides connecting the cables?

I'm looking at possibly 10 people so it might even be more than one router.

Just go to a local frys or something similar and pick up a cheap 10/100 16 port switch. Shouldn't be *very* expensive, and will get the job done.

Better yet, see if any of your friends have a switch or two. Free is better.

What's a good price for switches? My CS clan will pretty much LAN during scrims at one of our players house, but since most routers (if not all) only have 4 ports, we didn't know how to stick in the 5th guy.

Last time we didnt have this problem because we only had 4 people but this time its supposed to be big. So we dont have a local frys, maybe I could go to Wally world and pick one up.

ekorazn said:
What's a good price for switches? My CS clan will pretty much LAN during scrims at one of our players house, but since most routers (if not all) only have 4 ports, we didn't know how to stick in the 5th guy.

according to outpost.com 16 port 10/100 can be had for less than $100.

10/100/1000 can be had for 300 or so

Well I was up at the girlfriends today so I sprung on a Linksys EZXS88W at staples. She lives near Harrisburg so they have everything there. It seems to work the router is downstairs and the switch is up here.

I plugged the cable from the router into the uplink port and than ran one from my switch to my pc.

What is the drawback of plugging a router into a router as opposed to running off of one switch?

The depth of my knowlege on this is that routers only route traffic so say you have a 4 port router and 4 computers pluged in. It will divid the bandwidth by 4 so each gets 25%. A switching router is smarter and will divid up bandwidth on a as needed basis so if 1 computer is idel it wont get any bandwidth so the others will have more available. The whole point of lans is the social factor but also NO lag and real real low latency. the router would work but you wont have as good a connection. Are you in college? This is a prime reason to be friends with your admin/networking people.

No not in college. I don't know the only routers I've ever used have been switching ones as I think most newer ones are. Its to my knowledge and that hubs divided bandwidth if you have 4 computers on a 4 port regardless of what they are doing they all get 25% bandwidth.

But I did go out and buy a switch so problem solved.

Back