LAN\WAN desktop video conference software

Tink

Weaksauce
Does anyone have any recomendations on desktop video conferencing software that runs on a server locally (I don't want a hosted solution), can use off the shelf web cams with audio, white board, text chat, can have "chat rooms" that are either open or require a password to enter, and will run over connections ranging from 256k Frame to DS3 WAN connections.

The only product I know of is MS Office Live meeting, I was hoping that people would have other products they have used that work. It must be pretty straight forward to use, requiring less than a page of instructions for people to setup and hold a meeting after it is properly configured. I am open to open source solutions if they exist.

Google search hints would be appreciated also, it seems I can't find anything but hosted services when I search, obviously the terms I am searching with are not correct.

You can either deploy on premise web conferencing appliance such as RHUB appliances or can even use webinar tools such as WebEx, GoMeetNow, gotomeeting etc. in order to conduct desktop video conferencing, webinars, web conferences etc.

sipXecs used to, but SalesForce.com gobbled up the bit that made it available. You'll probably want to focus on SIP/VoIP technology, either to integrate into your existing Telecom or for future planning.

Office Live is now Lync, the new Lync server has just launched. The resources to get it running are fairly intense for a small business (Complete AD integration including Exchange).

An XMPP product may get you what you want; knowing what your current server infrastructure is may help.

Holy Necro Thread Batman!

As long as we are discussing it, I used either a Polycomm or Panasonic system that we used a desktop PC, a TV, a Logitech HD camera and a microphone to do Video conferencing. I can't remember exactly which one it was a this point.

It worked well, it cost us all told around $2K for everything.

LOL, I didn't even see the first two post dates.

Just to be clear, 2-party video conferences have many choices for software, from self-hosted to cloud-hosted.
Multi-party video conferences with control over meeting rooms, participants, quality, etc has many cloud-hosted options but fewer self-hosted options. The big players are integrated with existing IP Telecom products, such as Polycom, Cisco, Avaya, Lync, and more.

You can deploy on premise RHUB desktop video conferencing appliances. It provides you with LDAP Integration wherein, you can use your own LDAP or Active Directory for the user authentication and facilitate the deployment.

Does anyone have any recomendations on desktop video conferencing software that runs on a server locally (I don't want a hosted solution), can use off the shelf web cams with audio, white board, text chat, can have "chat rooms" that are either open or require a password to enter, and will run over connections ranging from 256k Frame to DS3 WAN connections.

We use RadVision and it accomplishes everything you are looking for. We have "meeting rooms" that can be sheduled, impromptu rooms that can be spun up instantly, desktop clients, room systems, and an iOS app.

Back