LAN Speed Test

Chimay

Limp Gawd
Just curious what kind of numbers people are putting up in their home using just a standard PC (no raid or SSD) to PC (no raid or SSD) test via gigabit switch? I understand both NICs have to be gigabit and cat6 cables should be used as well to optimize the speed. I'm just curious if 7200 HDs in the PCs could contribute to slower transfers as well.

SSD - Raptor drive I was getting 75MBs sustained.

7200 - 7200 I was getting about 43MBs sustained

edit: I think it was 5400RPM to 7200 not 72-72. WD Green 1TB - seagate 250GB. Still 43MB

This is all separate PCs

from whs2011 to my desktop (m4 128gb) i can max out a 1gb connection (100-125mb/s). both pc are directly connect to a netgear 3700.

ws2012_network_file_xfer.png

WS2012 -> WS2012 via pair of SG-500's through 5Gbit stack cable

The destination was a 240GB intel 520 the source a 12TB 8 drive RAID-6 array, looking at the CPU graphs I might have been CPU bound, I was copying VMs over after a host reinstall and hadn't installed or tweaked latest NIC drivers yet

Edit: Yeah I just checked it again with proper drivers and it was bouncing around 220-250 which is probably around the limit of the RAID (the backups are located on the "slow side" of the raid since it was on the last ~3GB of space)

Last edited:
I easily get 110 MB/s with regular 7200 RPM 7200.11 500 GB Seagate drives. It's all about good NICs and good switches.

Appreciate all the replies. Looks like I'll be doing some shopping.

I was debating on picking up a Netgear WNDR4000 @ Costco. Can't beat the Costco return policy!

You should be able to do 90MB/s sustained from a decent PC-PC transfer over GbE. CAT6 over 5e will give no measurable improvement in most situations. 7200 RPM drives should be able to do in excess of 100MB/s. My 4-drive WD Black Stripe0 will do 300MB/s using the on-board RAID.
You might want to make sure flow control is off on your equipment (cards and switches).

Jperf is just the java frontend for iperf, although I've never used it, I've heard it works well enough. iperf works great on windows, and more importantly, it's interoperable between other OS. The CLI is simple enough though, iperf -s on one end, and iperf -c x.x.x.x (IP of -s host).

Back