LAN party in Millville NJ

SJConsultant

2[H]4U
Now I am not much of a gamer myself, I figure this may be of some interest for those in the South Jersey Region. I posted the article in its entirety since the Atlantic City Press annoys readers with registration before viewing articles.

Computer gamers to converge on Millville Rescue Squad

By JOYCE VANAMAN Staff Writer, (856) 825-2303

MILLVILLE - With the reputation the Millville Rescue Squad has for tackling all kinds of challenges, Brian Bohanna and Louis Vitiello have no qualms about using its facility for the huge ATI GXL LAN Party.

"Our goal is to have 560 participants," said Vitiello, 22, of Cape May, the event coordinator.

"We already have around 500 for the event, which will be held from 3 p.m. Oct. 22 to 5 p.m. Oct. 24," added Bohanna, 31, of Vineland, the event facility manager.

The Millville Rescue Squad will be the beneficiary, as it was for a similar but smaller computer gaming tournament in February that raised $1,337 for the squad, according to Bohanna.

First, let's start with unscrambling some of the letters for the nongamers.

ATI is ATI Technologies Inc., the major sponsor for the event. Its specialty is graphic cards for computer games.

GXL is an acronym for Gamers of Diverse Strategy, Xtreme Players and Lansynergy, explained Vitiello.

LAN stands for local area network, which refers to the system through which the various computers are connected, he said.

Bohanna, who works part time as the director of management information systems for the Millville Rescue Squad and also is employed by Diamond Technologies in Delaware, said: "The squad has contributed so much to my growth and learning, I wanted to do something to help it. They are a great bunch of people."

"We have two goals," Vitiello said. "We want to provide financial support for the Rescue Squad, and our personal goal is be best at what we do in computer games. It also provides a chance for gamers to meet other gamers. We try to bring people together to have fun with those who share the same interests."

Besides arranging tournaments or playing himself, Vitiello is manager for Sunoco in Fairton.

The games will be played in the 44,000-square-foot bay that ordinarily houses the ambulances and other vehicles, Bohanna said.

The vehicles will be parked outside, and participants and visitors will be able to park in the grass area that has been graded for parking.

Bohanna explained that there will be drills for the squad before then so they can practice accessing the ambulances that are being moved from the bay.

"Jim Cieman, who owns an electronics business in Runnemede (Camden County) and was involved in setting up the Rescue Squad's radio communication, is setting up the power infrastructure for the event," Bohanna said.

"A surreal environment will be created," Bohanna said.

National Cyber Gaming of Toms River, (Ocean County), will set up the video and sound production.

And who will participate?

Mostly men in their 20s and 30s, though it's not unusual to find some in their 40s and 50s and some under 17.

"We do have a team of women who have signed up," Bohanna added.

Of the approximately 560 participants expected, probably 20 will be women.

Participants will come primarily from the tri-state area.

"One man from Arizona is shipping his computer," Bohanna said. The participants must bring their own computers, monitors, keyboards, mice, network cards, network wires and the latest copies of the games that they wish to play.

Vitiello said the games are "Quake 3," "Call of Duty," "Battlefield: Vietnam," "Counter Strike" and "Unreal Tournament 2004."

It costs $40 to participate for the entire weekend. There are 16 teams per tournament, with up to six players on a team. Those under 17 must have their parents sign a waiver. Those under 13 must have a parent or guardian present.

It is not necessary to belong to a particular team. Individuals can come in and be part of pick-up teams.

Spectators can purchase a weekend pass for $15, or a one-day pass for $10. They can watch the event on three big-screen monitors. Ike's Crab Cakes will sell food.

Those wishing to register for the event can do so online at www.thegxl.com

To e-mail Joyce Vanaman at The Press:

[email protected]

Holy Fragfest, Batman! That's right down the farking street!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

*gets cash to go :D *

LB

Back