LAN Party Games - Suggestions Needed

NobleX13

Supreme [H]ardness
I am having four friends over tomorrow for an impromptu LAN party. We normally end up playing StarCraft 2, Overwatch, Halo Online (ElDewrito) and maybe some CS:GO or UT2003.

I'm looking for suggestions to freshen up the lineup this year. Offline versus modes get old fast, so something either co-op or online matchmaking would be great.

Killing Floor 2 is still being updated, haven't played for a while but it's a lot of fun for coop, and supports up to six players. Several different classes (ignore survivalist) to pull their role in a party, keep the difficulty down until you get a feel for it.

Flatout 2 if you want a racing/derby type switch up, and you might find the party mode more entertaining where you have ragdoll competitions doing things like darts and the high jump. Well known for its vehicle destruction model, the sequels (3 and wreckfest) aren't as fun.

My friends and I have had a lot of fun with sins of a solar empire, though those games can take a very long time and the ai can be very annoying. Real time strategy in space, tech tree upgrades and planet control expansion.

Killing Floor 2 is still being updated, haven't played for a while but it's a lot of fun for coop, and supports up to six players. Several different classes (ignore survivalist) to pull their role in a party, keep the difficulty down until you get a feel for it.

Flatout 2 if you want a racing/derby type switch up, and you might find the party mode more entertaining where you have ragdoll competitions doing things like darts and the high jump. Well known for its vehicle destruction model, the sequels (3 and wreckfest) aren't as fun.

My friends and I have had a lot of fun with sins of a solar empire, though those games can take a very long time and the ai can be very annoying. Real time strategy in space, tech tree upgrades and planet control expansion.

I have not touched Killing Floor in a long time. Thanks for the tip.

Flatout 2 looks good also. A nice racing game would definitely be a good change of pace

Borderlands

I considered that but I think this particular friend group played the crap out of that with me back in college. Not sure they are ready to revisit Bordlerlands 1 or 2, and 3 is still a bit much on the Epic Games store.

hmm, maybe left for dead 2? Also apex legends, it's free and you can play in groups of 3.

hmm, maybe left for dead 2? Also apex legends, it's free and you can play in groups of 3.

Yeah, I'm definitely down for Apex. And Left 4 Dead 2 was a staple in years past. I'll give it another go.

GTFO but not cheap.

There is a recent co-op thread on here that had excellent suggestions.

Sonic Racing Transformed

Goldeneye Source

Payday 2

UT2K4 has a lot more modes than UT2K3. Also, try some mods.

Quake 3 Rocket Arena, can make drinking games out of the 1v1 tournament style play :)

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Quake 1-4 of course. ;)

My house is a constant LAN party with my kids and I these days, but we typically play the Borderlands games or Terraria. I keep a dedicated Terraria server online at all times actually, so we can jump in and out at will.

Left for Dead 1 and 2 are great too as mentioned above.

Check out Monaco too. It's a class-based heist game that's a TON of fun with a few people, and it's also inexpensive. Don't be put off by the retro style. It's very well done, has some good humor, and the game play is spot-on.

Some of the classics like Heretic and Hexen are always fun too. Especially if you have a modern source port to add mouselook and proper networking.

If you're looking for something to play between matches (locally) Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime or CRAWL are pretty fun.

I really don't play too many modern games on the LAN, because most of them have limitations that I'm not willing to live with where hosting/joining is concerned. I was hoping that Quake Champions would add in some private match hosting, (and maybe they have as I haven't played in over a year) to make LAN play easier. If they did put that in, then I would recommend QC as it's actually a lot of fun when you get the right mix of players. (not internet randos) It might be worth looking into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Age of empires 2 remastered that just came out.

I tried that game, had it refunded after 19 min of play, stuttery mess, even with only 1 char on screen if paused every couple seconds while playing. And judging from my google searches this is a pretty common problem with the game.

Damn, that hasn't been my experience at all. It's smooth as butter.

If you're planning on drinking Farm Similator 19 is free on epic games store and it's hilarious to check out with friends together.

Ark Survival - create a custom server, all chip in a few bucks to get a quality private server or join a good one.
Rust - great custom servers with boat loads of people still
The Forrest - not online, but worth an hour or two
7 Days to Die - we've all played this of course, but it's good fun
Diablo 3
Borderlands 3
Escape from Tarkov
Company of Heroes 2
Battlefront 2 - Heroes vs Villains is great for lanning
Civilization (seriously, a room full of friends playing this? Doesn't get much better.)

Last edited:
While a bit late for the OP, head over to GOG and pick up the original Diablo. Includes Hellfire and ipxconfig to allow LAN play via IP.

Nice to hear people still have LAN parties. Been a long while since I've done one but those sure were the days...

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Back