LAN Organizers. Questions...

fubar569

[H]ard|Gawd
How do you set up your network infrastructure for the larger LANs you host? like what equipment and configurations?

I've come across a Catalyst 5505 pretty cheap for my home CCNA/P lab but in the downtime i wanted to get a boatload of people together and make some magic happen.

2004-lan-setup_01.jpg

2004-lan-setup_02.jpg

so a simple PC active as router assigning addresses and managing traffic through a 48 port switch.

i'll assume the ports off to the left are gigabit to the server below?

so a simple PC active as router assigning addresses and managing traffic through a 48 port switch.

i'll assume the ports off to the left are gigabit to the server below?

Yup...but more specifically an Extreme Networks managed 48 port gigE switch with a fiber connection to another Dell 24 port gigE switch...just in case.

Man, those must be old images. How likely is it that in the last 5 years that there were that many CRTs at a LAN?

i looked up extreme networks switches on the egg.

WOW. sticker shock. srsly. :eek:

I'd say you have a VERY robust setup. don't think you'll outgrow that ANYTIME soon.

These are the kind of things i'm looking at though. I got such a killer deal on this purchase i couldn't turn it down. Catalyst 5505 with supervisor engine and (4) 24 port 10/100 cards plus 2 2613 routers and their associated WIC's and modules. 80 plus shipping. the 2613's are token ring but can support the standard expansion cars that the entire series supports. they won't max out with as much memory as say a 3640 or better so some of the newer iOS's are out of the question but for the basics it's all i need.

I figure in the catalyst's downtime i could host up a pretty large LAN Party. i haven't seen many instances where gigabit proved to be an absolute requirement or provide a very large difference for gaming and i would hope that once loaded to capacity this switch could handle that traffic without issue.

i looked up extreme networks switches on the egg.

WOW. sticker shock. srsly. :eek:

Keep in mind that all you really need (pending on how many people you have at a lan) that you dont really need high end managed switches. Just a robust router distro on an old computer and enough 10/100 switches is all you really need.

Management is just for making sure bandwidth is prioritized for your needs as the number of users grow. PDXLan in Portland Oregon uses 10/100 switches at the tables and as lan parties go...they are second to none.

So something like ZeroShell would be great? i downloaded that and am trying to get it configured on a P3 800EB with 256mb RAM and 2 NICs - i would think that would work. if not i can always take a 2613 and pop a couple 1 port cards in it and let it do the work.

Just go with what ever you have on hand that you know works and gives the least amount of headaches. There'll be plenty of other technical issues to fix at a lan. :eek::confused::mad: ;)

We normally setup with a Cisco 3600 series router, and a Cisco 4006 series switch. As far as lan parties go, for the most part the only things that require gigabit are servers, maybe your router. Always have attendee's set for 100meg. Never had a problem on any game, Always remember simplicity is key.

Honestly I just use my internet router as a DHCP server make sure it's enabled for enough addresses, and then extend the number of ports from that router with an old 10/100 switch, usually works OK although we have occasional networking issues like some people not being able to see certain peoples games when they host

This is about 8-10 people max though, I don't know how well this scales, works well on my Virgin Media router though.

We normally setup with a Cisco 3600 series router, and a Cisco 4006 series switch. As far as lan parties go, for the most part the only things that require gigabit are servers, maybe your router. Always have attendee's set for 100meg. Never had a problem on any game, Always remember simplicity is key.

I happen to have (2) 3640's as of today along with my (2) 2613's - the 2613's are only 10mb via a NM-4E so they're relegated to frame relay/terminal server duties. the 3640's however will work well i have a feeling.

Did some research on the 4006 switch. what modules are you using with that? what all do you have setup on gigabit links? cause the switch supports 240 10/100/1000 ports but the 1000base-tx 48port modules are effin expensive. the 6 port GBIC gigabit seems like a better option at the expense of LAN ports cause you can use 1000base-T GBICs with it for essentials like servers and the like and still maintain something like 192 10/100 ports. more than enough for all but the biggest gatherings really.

for lans 5-24 people I run a single Switch, I run a 3COM Baseline 24 port gigabit Switch, and for additional people I have a 16 port netgear ProSafe Switch!

File Sharing is inevitable, so I would encourage going Gigabit if possible!

Fine sharing might be inevitable but for gaming there really isn't a pure need for everyone on gigabit. if they're lagging i guess they should quit file sharing til after the tourney ;) lol

I have a few other ideas on how to utilize this hardware outside of lab duties. the LAN party was presumably the best and could almost fund more hardware if the craze caught on around here. one can hope.

Are there built-in features of windows that will allow one of my computers to act as a router (or at least provide internet to the other computers on the network)? Or do I need a program?

ICS will work for basic internet needs on windows platforms. never used it though.

i have zeroshell set up on an OLD pc that can now act as a router/gateway. to go this route you'll need a PC with 2 NIC's and a CDROM drive. it's not hard to setup at all. the entire live cd is only about 150mb IIRC...

Back