Lame Sauce! No Forced Unleashed for PC

consider the possibility that due to the way the storyline and gameplay is set up, you HAVE to have full physics enabled for things to make sense. did that ever occur to any of you?

Do you honestly think that the Wii version will be having these full physics? I'd also like to point out that any medium-range computer you can buy today would be able to handle the physics of the game way better than a 360 would.

A low end dual core CPU would be more than enough. Probably even a reasonably fast single core CPU. The 360 and PS3 CPUs are not that powerful.

If the PC can't handle it then the worst that's going to happen is a drop in frame rate. I'm not seeing the problem.

Well PS3 CPu might be more powerfull but since there will be PS2 and Wii versions too we can throw it out of window as reason for console only.

consider the possibility that due to the way the storyline and gameplay is set up, you HAVE to have full physics enabled for things to make sense. did that ever occur to any of you?

The nintendo DS has mad physics capabilities

Yeah I was really disappointed to read such bs coming from this company.

Yeah, my ($250) quad-core, my ($150) 4GB of RAM and my ($160) 8800GT aren't strong enough to keep up with the XBox360's 7800GTX or the Wii's piece of crap video card and single-core CPU...right. Yeah I need a "$4000 computer" to keep up with consoles. It's bad enough these people are sell-outs but to mislead people with dumb comments like that is just sinking to a new low.

well what i mean by full physics, is the maximum a certain platform can do. Full physics is one configuration. and full physics on the wii of course isn't going to be on par with full physics on a ps3. but the point is, its one config that each development team programs for. That's the big strength of the console, streamlined development on one set of hardware.

I think the reason they aren't making a PC port is because any way they do it, a large part of the PC gaming crowd is not going to be able to play it.

If they make a wii-powered version, all PCs will be able to play it, but the high end PC users will complain and why would they spend their money on a watered-down version? If they have full physics, and heck make it even better than xbox360 and ps3, then mid-to low end users won't be able to play the game at all, IF physics are closely related to gameplay and story.

Now the big question after all that is:

Why not just make the PC version scalable?

Maybe thats the whole problem, maybe they can't without spending the massive amount of development time to do so, which considering the game is focused on the power of the force, it could be like making a new game for each configuration from low to high. THAT is why I think they are doing this, because why else? the PC's greatest strength IS also its greatest weakness in this case.

Simple Fix:

Give us a good port that is equivelant to the 360 version with better textures etc...

Only make the options available for asthetics (ie. turn down textures, change resolution)

Give the consumer REAL minimum requirements so noone goes bitchin'

problem solved

Simple Fix:

Give us a good port that is equivelant to the 360 version with better textures etc...

Only make the options available for asthetics (ie. turn down textures, change resolution)

Give the consumer REAL minimum requirements so noone goes bitchin'

problem solved

but your fix only works if you beleive its your god given right to have a copy/port of every game a dev makes. they are making a game and putting it into the market that they beleive will give them best chance a huge profits.

i am sure putting a port of the 360 version would be something they could do, but at what cost to them, and if because it is a port and it doesn't run well on a lot of peoples systems then in turn those people are unhappy customers, which loses them more money.

sure the chances are there that the game could have problems with any of the consoles, but by making it for very specific hardware (PS3/360/Wii) they are at least able to prevent the same kinds of performance issues that could come up with making it work on a million different pc configs. Greas of War is a great example, a game exclusive to the 360 and when the pc port came out it ran like ass, install times of 20-30 mins i bought when it came out for the pc (i didn't have a 360 then) and it was great game but the performance issues were to much of a pain in my ass and never did finish it on the pc, wrapped on my 360 not long after i got.

i like to game on everything, but sometimes its just bad biz to port a game.

Mac[X-D];1032510005 said:
but your fix only works if you beleive its your god given right to have a copy/port of every game a dev makes. they are making a game and putting it into the market that they beleive will give them best chance a huge profits.

i am sure putting a port of the 360 version would be something they could do, but at what cost to them, and if because it is a port and it doesn't run well on a lot of peoples systems then in turn those people are unhappy customers, which loses them more money.

sure the chances are there that the game could have problems with any of the consoles, but by making it for very specific hardware (PS3/360/Wii) they are at least able to prevent the same kinds of performance issues that could come up with making it work on a million different pc configs. Greas of War is a great example, a game exclusive to the 360 and when the pc port came out it ran like ass, install times of 20-30 mins i bought when it came out for the pc (i didn't have a 360 then) and it was great game but the performance issues were to much of a pain in my ass and never did finish it on the pc, wrapped on my 360 not long after i got.

i like to game on everything, but sometimes its just bad biz to port a game.

Even though ports suck, they're making like 6-7 for this game alone. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult to make one more.

The reason people are bitching is because the company is lying through their teeth. Some finance nerd probably brought up piracy in the boardroom and said it would be a mistake to make for the PC because piracy will cause the company to lose money. :eek:

And saying that a PC can't handle this game... FUCK!!! If the DS and PSP can, my computer sure as hell can.

original link said:
Suey believes that developing the game to reach a more mass market will hinder the potential of killer rigs. Therefore, no matter how you cut it, only "a select few people" can enjoy the game as it was intended.

While Suey said the team will continue to support the PC with future releases, he did cite the variance from low-end to high-end PCs as a bigger problem than it has been in the past. When asked if the game will ever come to the PC, Suey said there are currently no plans to bring the game over to the platform.

This makes perfect sense. You can fill in the blanks with this information.

Now the theoretical PC port they are talking about is ONE physics/graphics configuration. It's a given because they speak of it as something only a 'select group of people' could enjoy as intended.

So if they aren't even mentioning a scalable port for PC, well that means they don't even consider a scalable version an option. that tells us it must take a lot of time to change configurations to suit the gameplay. time is money. so it comes down to the fact that they don't think its worth the money.

its not about piracy, its not that they hate PC gamers, its not that PCs can handle it, its just the above. This isn't something new. This is happening all the time with developers. you can blame all you want in frustration, but it comes down to money.

At the very least, I'm sure they could port the Wii version to the PC... Surely THAT would work on 99% of PCs? Not even doing that is really stupid and makes their whole stance on the PC market a farce. I just don't understand their arguments at all.

Dozey, a long time fan of Dark Forces / Jedi Knight games and all other Star Wars games for the PC :(

They haven't made a good star wars game since Jedi Academy anyway. Ever since that Asshat Julio Torres took over he's run that half shit company into the dirt. Seriously, Lucas Arts is irrelevant as a pioneer any more. They just clone good genres and tag star wars models on them then rush them out the door.

its called force unleashed, and might as well be called physics unleashed. unlike other games, it's not an afterthought in this game. So programming for different configurations could be like programming multiple games.

the guy in the article said it himself, it would be a different game.
well what i mean by full physics, is the maximum a certain platform can do. Full physics is one configuration. and full physics on the wii of course isn't going to be on par with full physics on a ps3. but the point is, its one config that each development team programs for. That's the big strength of the console, streamlined development on one set of hardware.

I think the reason they aren't making a PC port is because any way they do it, a large part of the PC gaming crowd is not going to be able to play it.

If they make a wii-powered version, all PCs will be able to play it, but the high end PC users will complain and why would they spend their money on a watered-down version? If they have full physics, and heck make it even better than xbox360 and ps3, then mid-to low end users won't be able to play the game at all, IF physics are closely related to gameplay and story.

Now the big question after all that is:

Why not just make the PC version scalable?

Maybe thats the whole problem, maybe they can't without spending the massive amount of development time to do so, which considering the game is focused on the power of the force, it could be like making a new game for each configuration from low to high. THAT is why I think they are doing this, because why else? the PC's greatest strength IS also its greatest weakness in this case.

Originally you said that it might be the case that the physics is necessary as part of the storyline/cinematics etc. If they have to take into account lowering the physics for the less powerful consoles such as the Wii then they essentially would have to make a different game for each platform. I somehow doubt that would be cost efficient to do.

From a pure business standpoint, they would still turn a profit even if they did a real sloppy port of the Wii version to PC.

They haven't made a good star wars game since Jedi Academy anyway. Ever since that Asshat Julio Torres took over he's run that half shit company into the dirt. Seriously, Lucas Arts is irrelevant as a pioneer any more. They just clone good genres and tag star wars models on them then rush them out the door.

Jedi Academy was enjoyable however it was really missing the heart that accompanied the Dark Forces series. The character customization was extremely limited and the missions really felt disjointed and unnecessary.

Republic Commando was certainly good.

Was it? It looked nice graphically. Otherwise it was a short, run of the mill , gimmicky shooter.

Originally you said that it might be the case that the physics is necessary as part of the storyline/cinematics etc. If they have to take into account lowering the physics for the less powerful consoles such as the Wii then they essentially would have to make a different game for each platform. I somehow doubt that would be cost efficient to do.

From a pure business standpoint, they would still turn a profit even if they did a real sloppy port of the Wii version to PC.

bottom line: a different game for any of the console platforms is going to sell more than any ONE configuration of the PC. That is why they dont' think it's worth the time and money.

bottom line: a different game for any of the console platforms is going to sell more than any ONE configuration of the PC. That is why they dont' think it's worth the time and money.

So do you think they are actually making a different game for each console?

So do you think they are actually making a different game for each console?

depends on how you define 'game'. itll be force unleashed, but the physics(which will affect gameplay) and graphics are catered to a specific hardware set on a specific console, so theres work to be done on developing each one separately.

just keep telling yourself that pc gaming is not dying...:p

just keep telling yourself that pc gaming is not dying...:p

I'm still waiting someone to present concrete facts that actually back this up. I know I'll never see it.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking of how many WoW players are out there right now. That's pretty impressive for a dying platform, I must say...

This is disappointing news in any event but I guess I can take some solace in the likelihood that this game will probably end up not living up to some of the hype and expectations. It'll probably be good, but not great.

Even though ports suck, they're making like 6-7 for this game alone. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult to make one more.

The reason people are bitching is because the company is lying through their teeth. Some finance nerd probably brought up piracy in the boardroom and said it would be a mistake to make for the PC because piracy will cause the company to lose money. :eek:

Ding ding ding! There is your real reason right there. Releasing a PC version for people to pirate just cuts into console sales (likely PS3 and XBox 360 sales). These companies are not stupid, its better to piss off a few PC gamers than it is to have a good PC version of their new game up on every torrent site 24 hours before it even gets to stores.

Ding ding ding! There is your real reason right there. Releasing a PC version for people to pirate just cuts into console sales (likely PS3 and XBox 360 sales). These companies are not stupid, its better to piss off a few PC gamers than it is to have a good PC version of their new game up on every torrent site 24 hours before it even gets to stores.

Ever wonder how the pirates get the code on their hands before it reaches stores?

Ever wonder how the pirates get the code on their hands before it reaches stores?

I work at a software company, I know exactly how pirates get the final releases before the stores get the discs :rolleyes::(

It almost always happens from one of two things. Disgruntled employee (rare), or during disc duplication (common). Once we have a gold master, we need to send it off to a third party who will then stamp out 50,000K+ discs in the first run. Disc duplication contracts are usually handed out to the lowest bidder so we can save money. Now the disc duping company has to save money, so they pay the people in the factory minimum wage. These 50K+ discs get made over a week before we hit retail, so there is a lot of time for one to go missing. Now you have warez sites/groups paying people for early disc rips, and some factory workers can make a months salary just by jacking one single disc from that initial 50K. Also you have some people that just do it for the rush of stealing something so they can fuck someone else over.

UPDATED: grammar/spelling

It almost always happens from one of two things. Disgruntled employee (rare), or during disc duplication (common). Once we have a gold master, we need to send it off to a third party who will then stamp out 50,000K+ discs in the first run. Disc duplication contracts are usually handed out to the lowest bidder so we can save money. Now the disc duping company has to save money, so they pay the people in the factory minimum wage. Now you have warez sites/groups paying people for early disc rips, and some factory works can make a months salary just by jacking one single disc from that initial 50K. Also you have some people that just do it for the rush of stealing something so they can fuck someone else over.

^^ Sounds about right, sadly.

Yeah because you can't pirate console games :rolleyes:

It almost always happens from one of two things. Disgruntled employee (rare), or during disc duplication (common). Once we have a gold master, we need to send it off to a third party who will then stamp out 50,000K+ discs in the first run. Disc duplication contracts are usually handed out to the lowest bidder so we can save money. Now the disc duping company has to save money, so they pay the people in the factory minimum wage. These 50K+ discs get made over a week before we hit retail, so there is a lot of time for one to go missing. Now you have warez sites/groups paying people for early disc rips, and some factory workers can make a months salary just by jacking one single disc from that initial 50K. Also you have some people that just do it for the rush of stealing something so they can fuck someone else over.

UPDATED: grammar/spelling

I wonder if the money saved on the lowest bidder is offset by the lost sales?

Yeah because you can't pirate console games :rolleyes:

I think you would find that fewer people pirate console games compared to buying them, while the opposite is true for PC gaming. No one is saying that console games do not get pirated (look how easy it is to pirate a DS game :eek:).

the force is strong with game consoles. and no pc gaming isn't dying, the thing force unleashed doesn't have going for it as a potential PC title is the fact that it's not an MMORPG. lets face it, the mmorpg is the only way to defeat piracy on the PC.

Back