Lamborghini Reveals New Hybrid Concept Car

HardOCP News

[H] News
While I'm not too impressed with the way they come up with the "910 horsepower" rating, this hybrid beast is still a beautiful car.

Lamboghini has announced its first plug-in hybrid showpiece, and it's quite beautiful. The Asterion LPI 910-4 packs in a 5.2-liter V10 with 610 horsepower, and its trio of electric motors beef up that latter figure another 300 (hence the 910 moniker). Those numbers puts the hypercar in the same neighborhood as McLaren's P1 and the LaFerrari hybrid.

I always wondered if it's a conscious decision by car manufacturers to make hybrids ugly compared to other models they produce.

looks like a Ferrari 430 crossed with a Dodge Dart

Car looks good and easily fits in with Lambos current design themes.

Car is a Grand Tourer and a natural choice to expand to a 3 car lineup. Looks great for what it is.

Wow, they're like waaay behind the rest of the world. There have been hybrid cars forever and these people are only just starting to make a concept car? LOL...they could just, IDK, buy one from anywhere. How are they even in business?

Wow, they're like waaay behind the rest of the world. There have been hybrid cars forever and these people are only just starting to make a concept car? LOL...they could just, IDK, buy one from anywhere. How are they even in business?

Yeah, you're joking...right? :confused:

It being hybrid all but assures there will not be a rwd version, unless they take out the hybrid stuff but then its left with the V10, which im sure would not live up to Lambos standard for a GT car. Not enough torque, if they were to dip into the Audi parts bin again and throw a turbo on ala RS6 from a few years back then we'd have something bonkers

Doesn't look like a typical Lamborghini car

This is a different kind of hybrid car. If I understood it correctly, the electric motor is there to boost the performance, similar to what you will see in Formula 1 cars. They don't switch off the combustion engine and go purely electric at cruise mode, but the electric is used as a booster. (Though the article mentioned it could hit 78mph on electric alone, who drives a Lamborghini at that speed :p )

AFAIK, the only other company that have done such hybrid concept is Ferrari, but they have the experience from their F1 development.

It's a fricking Lamborghini. I'm surprised they are even making a hybrid in the first place.

This is a different kind of hybrid car. If I understood it correctly, the electric motor is there to boost the performance, similar to what you will see in Formula 1 cars. They don't switch off the combustion engine and go purely electric at cruise mode, but the electric is used as a booster. (Though the article mentioned it could hit 78mph on electric alone, who drives a Lamborghini at that speed :p )

This is not a Prius......
Most production Hybrids are designed for mileage, like the Prius. They use the electric motors at lower speeds to make up for the poor low end on the gas motor which is tuned for mileage.

Some of the higher end Hybrids from Toyota/Lexus (Camry/Avalon/etc) are tilted a little more toward performance. The 4 cyl Camry has 178 HP , while the Hybrid has 200 HP.

There are some Porsche and BMW Hybrids that can turn in impressive 1/4 mile numbers.

Most cars are hideous looking, like a basketball sneaker had sex with optimus prime

Yeah, you're joking...right? :confused:

It being hybrid all but assures there will not be a rwd version, unless they take out the hybrid stuff but then its left with the V10, which im sure would not live up to Lambos standard for a GT car. Not enough torque, if they were to dip into the Audi parts bin again and throw a turbo on ala RS6 from a few years back then we'd have something bonkers

He seems pretty accurate.

Its a hybrid which has already been proven can perform but they are retaining the engine in the car to keep to have the best of both worlds. They wouldnt put turbochargers on a car they are making a hybrid. The torque spikes alone would cause issues with the hybrid but its the opposite of eco or what hybrid marketing goes for. Not to mention they would have to redesign the engine. They are late to the game and the car likely wont perform with the 918 Spyder or the P1 when it comes to performance. I think it looks like way to basic compared to its competitors.

Isn't there a law that for a car manufacturer to sell in CA they have to offer alternatives energy (hybrid/electric) vehicles in their lineup? I remember reading that FIAT was pissed they had to offer the 500e at all, but did it in CA just to comply. They could be doing this to comply.

It reminds me of a number of other cars, I wouldn't have known it was a lamborghini without the thread title. Disappointing.

Seriously. Why can't they make hybrids that look like regular cars?

They have. Nobody buys them. Honda for a time made a better Hybrid than the Prius around 5-8 years ago. Their Sales were dismal in comparison because it was just a variant of their civic.

People who drive Hybrids want everyone to know they're driving a hybrid but a label that says such is too gouache so the car needs to be distinctive and immediately recognizable as a different and immediately identified as a hybrid by the circles in which these buyers exist.

Beautiful? It's ugly as sin. It looks like a squat version of Lamborghini's SUV, the 2017 Urus. They stole a lot of design cues from Porsche, it seems.

This isn't a typical hybrid. The technology in cars like these (LaFerrari, McLaren P1, Porsche 918) had to be developed in race cars first. The hybrid system and electric motors have been added purely as a performance supplement to the traditional systems. Hybrids from other manufacturers have been all about mileage up to this point. The entire system is completely different from those you will see in economy cars like the Prius.

Lamborghini has always been a low-volume car maker. In the past decade they have average 1,822 sales per year. Prior to the Volkswagen acquisition they only sold around 200 vehicles a year since the marque's inception in 1963. They have done just fine with those kinds of sales for 50 years, beyond their bankruptcy in 1978.

He seems pretty accurate.

Its a hybrid which has already been proven can perform but they are retaining the engine in the car to keep to have the best of both worlds. They wouldnt put turbochargers on a car they are making a hybrid. The torque spikes alone would cause issues with the hybrid but its the opposite of eco or what hybrid marketing goes for. Not to mention they would have to redesign the engine. They are late to the game and the car likely wont perform with the 918 Spyder or the P1 when it comes to performance. I think it looks like way to basic compared to its competitors.

I should have been specific. If they decided to turbo the engine, it would be without the entire hybrid system.

This car is in no way meant to be a competitor to the P1, 918 or the LaFerrari. Lambo is a "hyper" GT car. The others are hyper sports cars. They all just happen to be expensive, very fast and hybrid.

If Lambo was building a competitor to the others, you'd hear about it :p

No, I'm serious. Hybrid cars really have been around for like a long time. They've been around for like tons longer than anyone here has even been driving.

I know they have been around forever. I've been following just about every one and have driven a few. But if you mean the mass produced hybrid cars than no, not longer than everyone here has been driving.

"go buy one somewhere else"
Lambo wouldn't make a hybrid car if they didn't think it was going to sell. This thing will vanish off dealer lots with a markup no doubt.

Lambo isn't doing this to compete with Ferrari, McLaren, or Porsche. All of whom have high performance hybrids that boost performance over a typical IC car, not as a gas saving measure.

It appears they are doing this because of upcoming EU regs.

Yes, the Asterion is a hybrid because the EU will introduce new laws in 2021 and they simply can't ignore that. If it makes it into production (and I would bet on it), those 31 all electric miles and the reduced emissions will allow them to build the next generation of blood boiling supercars, while in the meantime the Asterion's raised roof, luxurious interior and 3 second acceleration to sixty will attract a whole new type of customer to the brand. People who like to go for a nice long drive without catching fire.

http://jalopnik.com/the-910-hp-lamborghini-asterion-is-the-most-desirable-c-1641563201

They have. Nobody buys them. Honda for a time made a better Hybrid than the Prius around 5-8 years ago. Their Sales were dismal in comparison because it was just a variant of their civic.

People who drive Hybrids want everyone to know they're driving a hybrid but a label that says such is too gouache so the car needs to be distinctive and immediately recognizable as a different and immediately identified as a hybrid by the circles in which these buyers exist.

About the only thing Honda did better with the Civic Hybrid when compared to the Prius, was the looks.
The Prius got better mileage, and didn't have the problem with the batteries going bad after a few years like the Civic. Honda issued a fix for the problem (software update) which just cause the car to use the batteries less and lowered the mileage. Honda has yet to build a car than can compete with the Prius.

As for your 2nd statement, I would agree if you stated "Most people who drive Prius Hybrids"

I looked at the Prius when I bought my last car because I wanted something with better mileage. But they where too underpowered, cramped inside, and I really hated the odd digital dash.
The Camry Hybrid looks and drives like a standard Camry. Only minor differences in the dash, and a slightly smaller trunk due to the battery. No belts to replace (everything from the water pump to the Air conditioner is electric), no need to bring it in for smog every 2 years (they don't have the equipment to test a Hybrid), and almost double the city mileage compared to my last car (which was a regular Camry).

I literally thought this was the next Z car from Nissan when I first saw it. Had to read lamborghini to notice it wasn't.

I was pretty happy for Nissan,, but Lambo? Hmmm

Maybe it's a Lamborghini Urraco redo prototype.

It reminds me of a number of other cars, I wouldn't have known it was a lamborghini without the thread title. Disappointing.

I agree. Little to no distinction like too many other cars these days.

Hood and headlights by Ferrari, Lotus roofline, overall shape is pure Honda CR-Z. The only thing "Lambo" about it is the front air dam. It's a good looking car but too derivative.

Lambo isn't doing this to compete with Ferrari, McLaren, or Porsche. All of whom have high performance hybrids that boost performance over a typical IC car, not as a gas saving measure.
It appears they are doing this because of upcoming EU regs.
http://jalopnik.com/the-910-hp-lamborghini-asterion-is-the-most-desirable-c-1641563201

Finally someone that gets it. That and the fact that when you make a high performance car like this, you end up benefiting from all the R&D that has gone into it down the line. That would include the entire V.A.G.

Seriously. Why can't they make hybrids that look like regular cars?

Because the entire point of a hybrid is to try and save gas, so 2 major issues come up, first is weight, second is drag. Once they try to tweak those 2 issues and make the care more efficient so the hybrid gets as many MPG as they can get you end up with an ugly and often small car.

Why are they advertising that it can get up to 78mph on only electric if the electric motors are pumping out 300 horsepower. Should be able to get up to 160mph on only electric, no?

Back