Lair got a 4.5 on gamespot.

lol, i know what kind of gamer you are now, no need for you to say anything else. if any game on the Wii is a 10, anything on the PS3 and 360 breaks the scale.

hell, why dont you just watch techdemos then? i mean you obviously dont even play the game, you just jerk off to the gfx.

lol, i know what kind of gamer you are now, no need for you to say anything else. if any game on the Wii is a 10, anything on the PS3 and 360 breaks the scale.

I don't need to reiterate what everyone else just said.
Go play with your screensavers. You're digging deeper down the hole at this point.

Wow. Absolutely hilarious.

And what happens if they do a patch for Lair and it does make it a lot better? How many will change their minds? I see people here that rant about games that they say are horrible, but others like and vice versa for all 3 consoles.
There are people here who want to see the PS3 fail, and others who want the 360 to fail or the Wii. And no one will shake their beliefs no matter what you say or post. All 3 consoles will be around for a few years, so better to just pick the one you like, and not worry about which has the best games or the controller with the .000000001 better response time.
But that's just my opinion tho....

And what happens if they do a patch for Lair and it does make it a lot better? How many will change their minds
Wont matter, this set of flaming and arguing will be over by then and everyone will be on to the next game.

It's just the way it works.

And what happens if they do a patch for Lair and it does make it a lot better? How many will change their minds? I see people here that rant about games that they say are horrible, but others like and vice versa for all 3 consoles.
There are people here who want to see the PS3 fail, and others who want the 360 to fail or the Wii. And no one will shake their beliefs no matter what you say or post. All 3 consoles will be around for a few years, so better to just pick the one you like, and not worry about which has the best games or the controller with the .000000001 better response time.

And there are people here like me who own all three consoles, and just want to play good games. If there are people here who are turning this into a console war thread, they're off-topic. This thread is about Lair (and how much it sucks, of course ;)).

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that Lair will be patched to the level it really needs to be for its sales to recover. Lair is a great concept, I think everyone would wish it was better.

Some people jump in to defend consoles, and some actually like to talk about the market and what they think is going on. Sometimes over excited "fans" of particular consoles ruin the fun for the rest of us by bringing their passiononate company loyalty into it and turning the threads into flamefests.

Laff! I really did fall into Wiiville here. It is a fact that the Wii has the only games you don't have to try at to be good at. Do you really think it matters how you waggle the Wii controller? NO, you just have to waggle it and it plays for you! So when a game comes out with more complicated motion controls, it sucks? Which by the way, lair has the TIGHTEST motion controls ever seen to date. I hope your other consoles and PCs die and your stuck with cooking mama for the Wii as that seems fitting punishment for the blatant hypocrites here.

So here, let me not apologize for Factor 5 for not dumbing down the controls and adding a win button for all you crusty jugglers out there. i'm out.

Some people jump in to defend consoles, and some actually like to talk about the market and what they think is going on. Sometimes over excited "fans" of particular consoles ruin the fun for the rest of us by bringing their passiononate company loyalty into it and turning the threads into flamefests.

Theres no talking here, there was never any discussion going on. You have nothing but people who never played the game taking a review by people who aren't fit to review games and running with it. Who are you kidding?

I could care less what any game gets, as long as the score is fair. The 4.5 scores do not bother me, its the reason the score was given, that no one will admit to. Lair got low scores because people didn't put the time in required to play the game. period.

So here, let me not apologize for Factor 5 for not dumbing down the controls and adding a win button for all you crusty jugglers out there. i'm out.

No, their "win" button is the targeting system that an ape could learn to use in 10 minutes.

Stop acting as if Lair is hard because Factor 5 wanted it that way. It's hard to actually accomplish anything because the framerate, controls, and camera suck ass. The only thing that makes the game managable is the ridiculously dumbed-down targeting system that requires absolutely zero skill to use.

Theres no talking here, there was never any discussion going on. You have nothing but people who never played the game taking a review by people who aren't fit to review games and running with it. Who are you kidding?

I could care less what any game gets, as long as the score is fair. The 4.5 scores do not bother me, its the reason the score was given, that no one will admit to. Lair got low scores because people didn't put the time in required to play the game. period.

You are absolutly hilarous. I've seen that excuse given alot. I've played the game for about 6 hours. I'm not bad at the game. Its just not that good. Sorry to break it to you but many of the people that have bought the game aren't saying great things about it. Your rediculous attack on everyone, however, is very entertaining. I guess if you can't contribute anything decent, at least you can keep the rest of us amused.

Laff! I really did fall into Wiiville here. It is a fact that the Wii has the only games you don't have to try at to be good at. Do you really think it matters how you waggle the Wii controller? NO, you just have to waggle it and it plays for you! So when a game comes out with more complicated motion controls, it sucks? Which by the way, lair has the TIGHTEST motion controls ever seen to date. I hope your other consoles and PCs die and your stuck with cooking mama for the Wii as that seems fitting punishment for the blatant hypocrites here.

Actually, I think I would rather play Cooking Mama after recently playing Lair.

Your parents really shouldn't allow you to make game purchasing decisions.

I read about that earlier.

Think about it for a minute... It takes at least a month to compile a 20+ page booklet, design it, print it, and mail it off. Six weeks is more likely.

Which means that Sony and Factor 5 knew that Lair sucked and were preparing this booklet to sway reviewers in their direction. This is only reaffirmed when you realize that last week Lair's street date was broken and that the booklet arrived this week, right when Lair's original street date was set.

I think that makes it final:

Every gaming reviewer in the world, excepting Play and SDF, are completely biased against the PS3.

Or, Lair could, you know, just plain suck. :p I know it's hard to believe the PS3 would have a really bad game on it, but I would like to remind you that 9/10 of all games on every platform in existence pretty much suck.

Very easy to control to me... no problems at all.

IGN also gave super rub-a-dub a 1.2 or something, saying it had the worst controls ever. My kids do well in it.. my 8 year old daughter has gone thru the 20 easy, and 20 tricky maps. On map 8 of the hard. Maybe they just dont like the sixaxis at all, or maybe they just suck at it. :shrug:

Very easy to control to me... no problems at all.

IGN also gave super rub-a-dub a 1.2 or something, saying it had the worst controls ever. My kids do well in it.. my 8 year old daughter has gone thru the 20 easy, and 20 tricky maps. On map 8 of the hard. Maybe they just dont like the sixaxis at all, or maybe they just suck at it. :shrug:

Did you get the 1.92 firmware update? Just curious.

Yes, I didnt try Lair with the 1.90 firmware, just with 1.92. Its honestly so easy to control for me, I cant understand why some people think its hard. If you look at comments by people (not reviews) who have actually played it, most say its not hard.

I downloaded 1.92. It does improve the quick motions a bit. It still isn't 100% though. I never found the controls to be that horrible, except for the quick motions. Now the 180 works a bit more reliably. Dash still is flakey. Still, though, the controls were not the biggest problems of Lair. A little playing and you can get used to the controls.

If any of you have seen the picture of "Greg" that reviewed Lair... it doesn't even look like he can hold much of anything, probably why he can't get the hang of the SIXAXIS. :rolleyes:

If any of you have seen the picture of "Greg" that reviewed Lair... it doesn't even look like he can hold much of anything, probably why he can't get the hang of the SIXAXIS. :rolleyes:

What a stupid thing to say. I suppose that all the poor reviews are due to writers who are too undersized for the sixaxis :confused:

Yeah, I've seen the picture. He looks like the type of guy who could hand you your ass in pretty much any online game known to man. I wouldn't make too much fun of him when it comes to gaming, he looks like he was built for it (because he sure wasn't built to procreate).

I wouldn't knock him for giving the game a bad review just like everyone else did.

Yeah, I've seen the picture. He looks like the type of guy who could hand you your ass in pretty much any online game known to man. I wouldn't make too much fun of him when it comes to gaming, he looks like he was built for it (because he sure wasn't built to procreate).

I wouldn't knock him for giving the game a bad review just like everyone else did.

Actually he looks like quite the opposite. He looks pretty much like he failed at everything he tried, hence why he is a "reviewer." Now looks can be deceiving and I don't really judge people by the way they look. But I just have sense about the guy.

The more I look at the editors though, the more they look like just a bunch of douche-bags.

I saw the video where the guy uses the SIXAXIS like a fuckin mad man... and my first thought was "Is this guy a mental patient or what?"

Seriously... Has anyone tried Sky Oddysey for the PS2 ? Fantastic flight sim with skin tight controls... but if u just went mad at the analogs like the fucktard did on the SIXAXIS, u would have gotten no response at all almost

Only Flying games this moronic abuse of the control is possible is on Star Wars games (that i played of) since they have absolute no flight physics... u can just 180 on the spot

ps: Dont own a PS3 so im not a fanboy ... or maybe i am a poor fanboy :p

I saw the video where the guy uses the SIXAXIS like a fuckin mad man... and my first thought was "Is this guy a mental patient or what?"

Seriously... Has anyone tried Sky Oddysey for the PS2 ? Fantastic flight sim with skin tight controls... but if u just went mad at the analogs like the fucktard did on the SIXAXIS, u would have gotten no response at all almost

Only Flying games this moronic abuse of the control is possible is on Star Wars games (that i played of) since they have absolute no flight physics... u can just 180 on the spot

ps: Dont own a PS3 so im not a fanboy ... or maybe i am a poor fanboy :p

I wouldn't be surprised if most people expected it to respond like that.

I think people want the Warhawk experience from Lair. Perfect, smooth, responsive and very fast controls. They want Ace Combat with dragon skins.

If they calm down and play it for what it is, giant animals flying, as that video shows it is actually a very enjoyable game with good controls.

I think people need to get the hang of the Sixaxis before we start seeing some good honest reviews. On Motorstorm the controls are great if you take 20 minutes to get used to them, yet they were labeled an afterthought. On Excite Truck for Wii, same controls, same sensitivity, they were labeled as "awesome" because Wii reviewers are willing to get used to the experience of the Wii motion controls. In Lair they forced you to play with motion, exactly because it allows it to convey that sense of scale, of large lumbering flying dinosaurs, not fighter jets that ought to turn at the slightest jerk of the joystick.

People keep saying that Lair only got bad reviews because the reviewrs didn't like the controls. I'm quoting myself here from another thread since I don't feel like rewording the entire post.

Killing troops on the ground is fun, but the camera for it is pretty bad. The biggest problems that I saw with lair, in addition for to the framerate drops, was the constant cut scenes and the annoying mechanics for initiating dragon to dragon combat. The "Dragon's Lair" control options for doing Takedowns and the method for initiating dragon to dragon melee combat was obnoxious. Constantly, I felt like I was being pulled out of the game to play little minigames. It makes it difficult to really get immersed in the game. I think that the "Dragon's Lair" controls dumb down the experience and substitute for more well thought out controls. The quest arrow is probably the least useful I've ever seen and the lock on animation and behavior feels like an afterthought. I found the most fun of the game was just being in the massive battles and either taking out the ships or being on the ground ripping through troups. I found dragon to dragon combat to be more of an exercise in quickly performing dog tricks. I compare it to a game like God of War that actually had button combos and controls for grabbing and killing enemies in entertaining ways and it's minimal use of the "Dragon's Lair" button matching. Lair could have done most of the fun takedowns and dragon combat initiation with button combinations and it would have kept more fluid gameplay. The gameplay is not fluid and I think that is its biggest problem.

The missions are well designed, the game looks beatiful, but the game play is just disappointing. I really wanted to like this game. I didn't find the game difficult. I just found it boring.

Almost everyone at Penny-Arcades forums loves the game. They said that the motion controls isn't controlling the dragon, your controlling the guy on top, which "inspires" the dragon to do the things it does. Some people in general just don't know how to use the SIXAXIS controller, but for those that can use it, fully enjoy this game. I've also heard frame rate drops sometimes because there’s TONS of things going on. I plan on picking this one up off another guy off craigslist at a discounted price, but I still hear its a good game, just a bit short. But I'm one of those guys that likes to get all the gold medals, so I'll prolly spend more than 6 hrs playing this one. :D

Thread is back from the dead with some new info :D

Lair 2.0 on the Way?
Factor 5's president hints at a possible control tweak to the PS3 flying game.

So I played Lair, and didn't get past the 3rd mission. The controls weren't that bad, but I kinda got hit by a few other titles, such as Ratchet, then Uncharted, then Assassins Creed and skate... but if what this article says is true, then I might have to revisit the land of dragons.

Thanks for bringing back a dead thread for a good reason!

:)

Good to hear Lair might get retooled for all of us who bought it only to find out how bad we suck at controlling things with the Six Axis, only to find out it's just the game.

Unfortunately, what needs to be fixed, in my opinion, is the dragon to dragon combat and targeting. The lockon targeting makes that aspect too easy and the button matching sequences to takedown dragon riders is just not fun.

I would like to see Lair done right because I know I could get into it if it is, but I'd have to wait for Lair 2 which isn't likely considering how Lair sold.

Back