Laing-Delphi DDC 12V Pump Startup Issue

kbong

n00b
I've just killed another DDC12v pump and I need help and feedback from other DDC12v pump users.

Last month I purchased a DDC pump from DangerDen that after two days of leak testing would not startup with I hit the power switch. I returned the pump for a refund and bought a non-rebadged version from a Laing-Delphi distributor. Yesterday I had the pump going for about 20+ hours for leak testing. It worked fine (*silent*), but I turned the pump off overnight and when I tried to start the pump again this morning it refused to start. I tested the PSU and nothing wrong there.

This is the second DDC pump that has died on me after working fine for a couple days and it's not only annoying but frustrating :( . It's been 3 months since I bought the first pump and still no W/C in my comp.

What I'm hoping for is that someone else has experienced similar problems and knows of a fix, but any comments and suggestiongs are welcome.

*I want W/C~*

Here is a flow chart of my leak test setup:
Pump-> Swiftech MCW6000 CPU -> Maze4 GPU -> Dtek Heatercore -> Bay-Res ->Pump

PSU is a Sparkle FSP-520 (Great PSU)

Thanks!

Yeah, that happened to me for a bit where the pump just wouldn't start up.

Ummm, are you using any additives? If so, what kind?

See, I was using methyl alcohol (blue fluid stuff), blue dye, and water. My pump shut down on me and wouldn't start back up, so I got pissed off. I took it out, was going to RMA it then I said "Its probably jammed." So I went inside of the pump and cleaned it out, replaced the fluid in my system, and BANG, it works perfect again.

So maybe, just try that.

I've got a question for you guys regarding this issue and the Athlon 64 (venice in particular).

If the processor isn't cooling properly will it shut its self down, or will it just blow up? My 3000 Barton gave a bios alarm after I accidentally knocked the HSF loose. It would be nice to know that if my pump fails to start he computer will shut its self down before anything gets damaged.

MikeyB said:
I've got a question for you guys regarding this issue and the Athlon 64 (venice in particular).

If the processor isn't cooling properly will it shut its self down, or will it just blow up? My 3000 Barton gave a bios alarm after I accidentally knocked the HSF loose. It would be nice to know that if my pump fails to start he computer will shut its self down before anything gets damaged.

Most modern BIOSs have a setting for shutting down when you hit a certain temp. I don't see why the boards for the Venice core would be any different than boards for older newcastles.

As for additives, I was using plain drinking water for leak testing.

Maybe I'll try bashing the pump with a wrench like in Armageddon or maybe just RMA.

I'm wary of opening up the casing becuase it voids the warranty.

No, no it doesn't void the warranty. I checked that before opening it, lol. There was no sticker or anything on the casing of the pump.

I have the polar flo branded delphi. About a week into setting up my system I found my self in your situation. Pump just wouldn't start. Verified voltage to the pump, tried a different PSU, etc.

emailed tech support, let them know what I tried, and they told me they would get it resolved.

I read around about someone who had a similar problem that was able to start the pump by hitting it with a screwdriver or other tool. sure enough, if i had the PC powered on and hit the pump a couple of times, the pump would start right up. It would then run for days on end, as long as i didn't turn the power off completely.

when i eventually got around to changing out my tubing, water wetter had turned them chaulk white, i replaced the fluid with some fresh distilled water and the pump worked like a charm. added zerex at a much more controlled amount and have been running that ever since. Pump starts every time like a dream...

never heard back from tech support, i suppose they figured I fixed it myself.

give running it with plain water, or hitting it, a try...

I think it has to do with air in the pump. I had this problem also where I had to hit it to make it start. To fix it what I did was to shake it to get it going.... then keep shaking it to get the air bubbles out. Ive drained/filled my system 3 times now and it was the same everytime. It works flawlessly once you get the air out.

I tried shaking the pump and it seems to do the trick. Go figure.
However I think I'll still RMA it for one that doesn't require smacking.

Back