Laing D5 pump stops/starts, runs slow

TheSmJ

2[H]4U
My trusty D5 pump is failing (I think). It stops/starts a few times a minute, and when it does start, it runs slow.

I've tested the PSU power connector it's on, and it tests fine. I've checked the speed setting and it's still on the highest available (5).

I drained the system and opened up the pump. I don't see anything wrong. The impeller looks fine, as does the ceramic bearing the impeller spins on, and the impeller spins freely.

Do these pumps normally fail this way, or could something else be the culprit here?

How old is it? The pcb could be faulty, but it's basically the most important part in your wc loop, so I'd just toss it and buy a new one. I've had a pump melt in my loop before after reusing it 5+ years on like 3 builds, f that happening again. I'm probably going to start keeping a spare pump in my wc parts box because of how annoying it is when a pump dies.

Time for a new one.

That behavior sounds electrical.

If you have good contact from the PSU to the molex, nothing is loose, and the pump wiring is fine, then it's the pump and it's terminal.

Go to Sidewindercomputers.com Gary has the lowest prices on pumps anywhere.:D

I was kinda peeved until I realized that the pump is ~10 years old and these things tend to take a dump at around 7 or 8.

Unfortunately the price on these things hasn't changed much at all within the past decade. A part of me wanted to throw in the towel, get an air cooler and be done with it. But, I sucked it up and bought a new D5 locally at Microcenter.

I was kinda peeved until I realized that the pump is ~10 years old and these things tend to take a dump at around 7 or 8.

Unfortunately the price on these things hasn't changed much at all within the past decade. A part of me wanted to throw in the towel, get an air cooler and be done with it. But, I sucked it up and bought a new D5 locally at Microcenter.

Swap the guts and return the old internals with the new externals :p

Back