lag running windows and games

dhodson66

Weaksauce
Im not sure why this is happening but on a regular occasion especially after the computer wakes from sleep, i have ridiculous lag with the mouse. Ive also notice a substantial lag in games and cant figure out why?

I dont seem to be using more than 50% of my resources via task manager ever and im not running anything special in the background although of course there is always a bunch of little things running. I have a 5900x, 64 gig mem, radeon 6900xt. I am running at 4k resolution but it says 60fps which is what the monitor will do.

what is the best way to trouble shoot this?

Run something like HWinfo and check temps, CPU/GPU frequency, voltages, etc to make sure nothing is out of place. Check for constant frequency changes, especially when gaming.
Run a few benchmarks like 3dMark and CineBench to put a load on the hardware and check stability. Compare results with either a baseline you made when you got the system or compare with similar systems. Make sure your Temps are within limits.
Update drivers
Try a different mouse
Boot into Safemode and see if the mouse behaves the same.
Test if this happens when shutting down instead of sleep mode.
Make sure your monitor is running at optimal refresh rate. Seems unlikely it would have defaulted to something out of spec but who knows.
Try different USB ports.

If it were me, I'd probably start with these.

What hard drive do you have? an SSD?

also 4k is the resolution - 60FPS is the refresh rate and the limit of your monitor.

Does this only happen after sleep I presume? Not from a clean reboot?

Do you have the latest bios update? How about the latest AMD chipset driver? (I'm wondering if this is TPM stutter or the old USB dropout issue).

Last edited:
I have the same issue after a reboot. Happens for about 20 minutes and then goes away. Still haven't been able to reproduce it.

Any events in the event logs?

I had to change AHCI link power management on a Ryzen 3900x system, from HIPM to DIPM. Otherwise the SSD would randomnly hang, several times per day. You can also change the AHCI power management to "Active". But, I think that removes most of the power saving states for the SSD. Shouldn't be a big deal for a desktop, however.

Regarding the mouse stutter: Are you using a USB hub for your mouse? If so, try plugging directly into the back panel of your PC instead of the hub. Had intermittent mouse unresponsiveness with a R5 5800X that sounds kind of like what you are having, and taking the hub out of the equation seems to resolve the issue.

So I made sure to update the chipset drivers, video card etc

The problem onky occurs after waking from hibernation. Everything runs fine on initial boot up or a restart.

If I try to even hit ctcl alt del, it takes like 10 seconds for it to appear on the screen.

Back