LACP Config

Modus

Weaksauce
I have a synology DS1513+ and a HP Procurve 1810G-24 Switch. They both are up to date with the respective software/firmwares, i setup the LACP so i can have the highest throughput i can on the synology DS1513+.

HP Procurve 1810G-24 Switch Config

On the HP Procurve 1810G-24 Switch i have created a trunk (which is not
static) and i have placed the 4 ports from the DS1513+ in that trunk, the trunk has been
configured for LACP.

Synology DS1513+ Config
On the DS1513+ i have created a bond with all 4 interfaces in it and i'm using the 802.3ad
Dynamic Link Aggregation mode with a static ip and gateway set.

For whatever reason I had a thought to take one of the 4 links out of the bond and place it on thevlan where the bond/trunk exists for connectivity to function, if i unplug that one cable it seems to kill the connection to the DS1513+. It seems like that is the feed for the bond,can anyone explain this? Has anyone come across this?

It sounds like it could be an LACP negotiation issue. It could be that one side is trying to negotiate a link and the other is not. You can have static 802.3ad where they don't negotiate.

The other possibility is that you have the bond up and running but when you remove the one link it form some kind of loop and is shutting down the other port(s). Difficult to say based on your description of the situation. Actual configuration or pictures would help.

Last edited:
Here is the gateway config on the synology

2014-07-14_08-10-13_zps403ff055.png

Current network config on the synology

2014-07-14_08-10-00_zps2b4662ca.png

Trunk config on the hp switch

7-14-20148-18-54AM_zps9862c74e.jpg

Trunk membership

7-14-20148-19-32AM_zpse38deed9.jpg.html

Security Config

7-14-20148-20-11AM_zps449caf1c.jpg

Loop Protection

7-14-20148-20-42AM_zpsffd54761.jpg

Last edited:
I'm assuming there should be pictures? I can't view them, at least not at work. I don't see anything but we have stupid proxy servers at work that could be blocking them.

I'm assuming there should be pictures? I can't view them, at least not at work. I don't see anything but we have stupid proxy servers at work that could be blocking them.

I uploaded the pics to another site, hopefully they are visible now:)

#1 Your Trunk membership picture isn't working
#2 I don't see the config for the NAS bond? All I see is that it's "bonded" there is more than one Bond method so we need to see that part too.
#3 I'm not familiar with the HP switch so I don't know what "Trunk" means to that switch, is it a static ether-channel or is it an LACP link?

On the trunk membership pic it just shows what interfaces are members of the trunk and it also shows that all interfaces are set for LACP

There really is no config for the NAS bond, 3 interfaces on the NAS are in the bond and its set for LACP that it.

In the Hp world "Trunk" allows you to assign physical links to one logical link (trunk) that functions as a single, higher-speed link providing dramatically increased bandwidth. This capability applies to the connections between the backbone devices as well as to the connections in other network areas where the traffic bottlenecks exist.

The NAS is suppose to only work with dynamic LACP

Depending on which version of DSM (that looks like 5.0), you should be able to select an option for non-LACP/non-802.3ad environments, but you're reduced to failover only aggregation.

Do you lose connection if you unplug any of the ethernet cables on the Synology? Or just one in particular?

I have upgraded the DSM to the latest, I have 3 ethernet cables in the bond. The forth ethernet is not in the bond or the trunk on the switch but on the same vlan, it seems to be the feed for the bond so if i un-plug it i lose connection all together.

Can you better define "lose connection"? The bond has 1 IP, the 2nd link has a 2nd IP. If you unplug the .3.14 cable, you'll of course lose connection over that port. If you run a ping -t to both of those IP addresses, and unplug the .3.14 cable, the 3.13 should still reply, where as the 3.14 will drop. I believe you should also be able to connect to the web UI via either IP, so if 3.13 stops working, 3.14 should be an alternative.

If i un-plug the 3.14 i can't ping the 3.13, its almost like its feeding the 3.14 for some reason. I also tried adding that other Ethernet to the bond and it was un-available, which is the reason why its setup the way it is now.

ok i just tested the above, so if i do a continuous ping on the 3.13 and un-plug the 3.14 i don't get any response. I have my laptop on the same vlan.

oddly enough plugging it back in does allow it to be assessable either...nothing in the switch log as to why either:(

I never left it for more than 3 mins, where did you the loop prevention timer of 3mins from?

In the switch log it didn't say anything about a loop, i have also tried this all those features turned off and ended up with the same result

Ok timeout you said:

I have placed the 4 ports from the DS1513+ in that trunk, the trunk has been
configured for LACP.

On the DS1513+ I have created a bond with all 4 interfaces in it and i'm using the 802.3ad
Dynamic Link Aggregation mode with a static ip and gateway set.

Notice here how you say FOUR ports are in the bond, but...

When I look at your actual configs though that doesn't seem right:

The current Synology config shows a "Bond 1" containing 3 ports: LAN 2, LAN 3 and LAN 4 followed by another LAN 1 connection.

In the next image your Trunk 4 config shows 3 ports in the trunk.

What exactly are you trying to do? Do you actually want a 4 port bond or do you want a 3 port bond and a 1 port alternate link?

So why is it configured with 3 links in and 1 link out? You need to configure the NAS correctly for a 4 port bond and you'll probably drop its connection when you do until you correct the config in the switch.

Its that way because if i do the 4 port bond on the NAS and do the trunk, LACP etc i lose access to the NAS. I can't ping it or get to the web interface at all.

I had a thought which was to try and setup the bond with all 4 ports and on the switch remove the lacp,trunk etc then leave the 4 Ethernet cables on the right vlan and see what happens.

That is why you configure the NAS first...the connection will drop but once the switch is configured correctly the connection will come back up...you're only having problems because you're configuring it incorrectly. You always configure down stream devices first. If you configure the switch first you can't get to the NAS to configure it. The fact that you'll loose access to the NAS is completely moot if you configure it correctly.

The problem you are experiencing is almost certainly because you have a Bond 1 and a LAN 1 separate connection. If you'd just configure the 4 port bond like you intend to you'd probably be fine.

What should happen if you configure a 4 port bond but the switch isn't working is that the 4 port bond will disable 3 of the ports not negotiating with the switch and use 1 link for communications.

Back