Lack of glossy gsync and other gaming monitors

IDK why my whole previous thread was deleted when i asked for couple of my individual post to be removed but what ever hear it is again..

First let me say i know why people prefer one panel type over the other and this post isn't about that.
Its more so to get companies to start giving option between panel types for their gaming monitors.

I personally cant stand matte displays. Its been well over a year now and every gsync monitor is matte panel same for normal 144hz displays all are matte and people are reverting to dematting *voiding warranty and possibly damaging panel just to get rid of the matte layer for better IQ.

Anyways I voiced my suggestion over at acer since they seem to have been on roll with gsync monitors.
And they want to hear more on this from others. I know its shot in the dark but better than not saying anything at all.

Anyways here is the link takes less than minute to join.
Also make sure you thumb up so gains more attention.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-Ideas/Glossy-panel-G-sync-monitors/idc-p/350982#

Last edited:
i'm not really particularly picky about this, but what's the logic in using a matte film rather than a semi-glossy one like we see on tvs?

I thought I was the only one that liked gloss displays. What I would like is for manufacturers to explicitly say whether the monitor is gloss or matte. I feel like that is one of the hardest things to find for a monitor.

Glossy displays are better in every way except you need to avoid reflections.. I have no idea why 95% of monitors are matte. Maybe the manufacturers are "playing it safe" and if you have no choice other than matte then you don't have much choice but to buy matte or not get a new monitor!

They should just stop with the matte on gaming monitors.
Make then semi and full gloss. Even TV are doing without full mate for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Probably just a poor market research done by the monitor companies that produce displays for entertainment purposes, because the 98% of tv's are non reflective glossy, and the older ones were using the true semi gloss, that is completely different compared to the "semi glossy coating" used on the new ips panels. And, for example the thunder bolt display is a horribly reflective edge to edge glass panel, but everyone who buys them is alright with it, along with the older imacs.

But the good news is, Dell already entered the competition with Apple by introducing a PDC 5k IPS to counter the 5k imac, which also uses a pdc coating. Now we may just hope that they will switch to pdc for their other offerings, considering that it's not really expensive to implement seeing how it's being used on some of these cheap Korean monitors.

I can understand the use of a matte coating on something like 1200p IPS displays, because these are probably primarily aimed at offices. But seeing a matte film as grainy as the one used on the 2711 on something like asus swift is just beyond any logic. If it wasn't for the coating it could have turned out to be the best TN panel ever produced topping the 750/950d 120hz samsungs.

Last edited:
Agreed as well. Love my glossy monitor and hate that it's near impossible to find higher end glossy screens these days. I can live with semi-glossy I suppose but I would love to get another gloss screen when I upgrade my 25".

I know why. Because monitor manufacturers have 90% of their customers are based in an office setting. Offices have fluorescent lights which produce lots of reflections.

Us gamers are different, because we are at a home setting, with no fluorescent lighting, or any lights at all for that matter.. Thats why the glossy appears better with little reflections to bother us.

The matte film was the final thing that made me switch to CRTs. I destroyed a VG248QE trying to de-matte it and I wasn't about to buy another LCD that was matte. There isn't a single LCD above 60Hz on the market that is glossy.

Still using a 950d from samsung @ 120hz but TN and 1080p is starting to show its age...

This thread isn't going to be seen by anyone but us. Monitor companies are going to continue ruining what would be amazing displays with aggressive AG coatings. I post on their facebook pages complaining about it often with little to no response.

They are playing it safe. Its the same reason you still see VGA on laptops. If it saves them .1% returns its worth it to them. They can't calculate how many monitors they aren't selling because of people that hate matte coatings.

I keep trying to logon to the acer forums to give feedback in that forum you linked to. (Awesome that they are actually talking with customers) The login seems to be having issues :( Maybe you can direct them to view this page.

Not that we should have to but I would totally pay 200$ extra dollars to get a glossy version of the 21:9 1440p 144hz predator monitor I keep hearing about.

The matte film was the final thing that made me switch to CRTs. I destroyed a VG248QE trying to de-matte it and I wasn't about to buy another LCD that was matte. There isn't a single LCD above 60Hz on the market that is glossy.

My Overlord Tempest is full glossy and it does 110Hz!

There isn't a single LCD above 60Hz on the market that is glossy.
I have Asus VG236H its 120hz glossy but prob wont find anymore new.
Another is EIZO Foris FG2421 its 120hz PVA panel think this one is semi not full gloss and expensive.

Last edited:
I have Asus VG236H its 120hz glossy but prob wont find anymore new.
Another is EIZO Foris FG2421 its 120hz PVA panel think this one is semi not full gloss and expensive.

They seem to have a bunch in the 24" range but 27 and larger they seem pretty much non-existent. I think Crossover has one but I will not buy a monitor that has to ship from China and has no warranty. I'll stick to the name brands I can get at Best Buy or Newegg.

We should make a petition on change.org to the monitor companies asking them to get their shit together and start using the plasma deposition coating across all their products aimed at gamers and multimedia content consumption, or just some dark toned plastic like the one you can find on the galaxy tab s for example.

I don't believe pdc would increase production cost significantly since it can be already found on some of these cheap korean monitors, while the usual plastic coating is probably even cheaper than the matte film.

All tv's, all pnones, all tablets, all apple products are glossy, and apparently people are alright with some reflections, but reflection with a decent glossy coating are quite minimal actually (again just look at the galaxy tabs).
So why should gaming and multimedia monitors be matte, when the light conditions they are going to be used in are even more favorable?

Last edited:
They seem to have a bunch in the 24" range but 27 and larger they seem pretty much non-existent. I think Crossover has one but I will not buy a monitor that has to ship from China and has no warranty. I'll stick to the name brands I can get at Best Buy or Newegg.

s27a950d

They've been out of production since 2011, I've also checked ebay recently and only seen like one 750d, good luck finding these.

Actually, I'm glad I've sold mine, it used some nasty pwm flicker which affected my eyes in a horrible way causing irritation, tiredness and dry eye symptoms. On top of that, from what I've gathered the factory calibration was horrendous across all units, with mine having something like 1.7 gamma.

Agreed as well. Love my glossy monitor and hate that it's near impossible to find higher end glossy screens these days. I can live with semi-glossy I suppose but I would love to get another gloss screen when I upgrade my 25".

I tried semi, I couldn't stand it.

I tried semi, I couldn't stand it.

Semi-glossy can range anywhere from near-glossy to near-matte though so don't just give up. My 40" 4K Philips monitor is a semi-gloss but it's pretty damn close to be glossy and I never looked back (came from a full gloss apple cinema display & always refused to buy matte or even semi-glossy monitors). I think my monitor has a 3% haze value while a semi-gloss BenQ 4K monitor is like 12% haze so technically 4x more "matte" than mine.

They are definitely listening :)

by Idea Manager Acer_Ideas 4 hours ago

WOW! You guys are ALL awesome! Thank you so much for registering and chiming in here with your views on this topic. This is exactly what we put the whole Community site up here for. This entire thread is on it's way directly to our monitor design team TODAY! Great responses and well explained. I think I'm gonna cry!

http://community.acer.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/Acer/article-id/1220/page/2#comments

Last edited:
The real question is: Do we want Acer to be the company which makes glossy gaming monitors? I don't since they like to use perceived black depth ruining glossy black bezels with matte coatings (which is retarded) and usually (the XB270HU and 4K TN with G-Sync are exceptions) sell monitors which suffer from obvious overshoot ghosting and lack overdrive settings.

why not? if it catches on other companies will transition away from full matte coatings as well

I don't think Acer has a big enough market share for it to matter, and they have been selling glossy, gaming friendly TN's and cheap IPS panels this entire time, as has HP. Keep in mind that Asus was the first company to release a glossy high hz monitor (VG236H), but decided not to the second and third time around while Samsung still has not released successors to their very popular 120hz glossy TN's from 2011-2012...

Last edited:
Like i said in OP its not one or the other its giving option between panel types for their gaming monitors
And why not acer they are stepping up their game when i comes to gaming monitors and this might be the perfect time to suggest such an option.

Last edited:
Well im excited to give acer a try if they produce a monitor thats 21:9 1440 gsync glossy which if rumors are true is very possible. Never been interested in their products before but they seem to really be on fire this year.

I don't think Acer has a big enough market share for it to matter, and they have been selling glossy, gaming friendly TN's and cheap IPS panels this entire time, as has HP. Keep in mind that Asus was the first company to release a glossy high hz monitor (VG236H), but decided not to the second and third time around while Samsung still has not released successors to their very popular 120hz glossy TN's from 2011-2012...

For the third time, 's doesn't mean plural.

Well im excited to give acer a try if they produce a monitor thats 21:9 1440 gsync glossy which if rumors are true is very possible. Never been interested in their products before but they seem to really be on fire this year.

I want 120hz+, glossy. :)

I'd bet on samsung but might be a long wait like into 2016.

If you haven't commented on the link could you please it take less than minute to join.
They are forwarding to monitor design team the more people the better :)

I would guess that they have done market research already and maybe glossy does not sell as well or people are not informed enough to even think about what coating is on the screen, they see 144hz 1ms and that is enough for a sale.

But SOME options... even just ONE good glossy screen would be nice ffs.

Last edited:
Their monitor design team are not reading this forum please post on the link.
that is the whole point of the this thread :)
And if you read other acer idea they will get back with an answer. Its better to try this than nothing at all.

Last edited:
The real question is: Do we want Acer to be the company which makes glossy gaming monitors? I don't since they like to use perceived black depth ruining glossy black bezels with matte coatings (which is retarded) and usually (the XB270HU and 4K TN with G-Sync are exceptions) sell monitors which suffer from obvious overshoot ghosting and lack overdrive settings.

The answer is a resounding YES! While Acer might not be the premier brand in monitors, they're the only ones right now that are at least acting like they're listening to us and if they put out some good 27+" glossy gaming monitors and they sell well, then other brands will likely follow suit. So yeah, Id rather it be Eizo or BenQ for example but if Acer is the only one that'll give us what we're wanting then Ill support them.

I guess if they're willing to listen to the community it's not too much of a stretch to request matte grey bezels. It's terribly sad that Seiki has enough common sense to produce a monitor with a beautiful matte bezel but Acer does not.

Adding on to issues: I'm always dissapointed by how poor their color presets are (XB270HU, K272HUL). I'd really hate to own one of their monitors without a colorimeter.

Not holding my breath here is response.

OK everyone, I have a response from the Monitor Program Manager already. He LOVED getting your comments and feedback. Here is the meat of his response ...

Actually, we do study the monitor with glossy or matte panel long time ago.

You can also check a lot discussion through internet.

Our thinking is that monitor which will be used for a long time (office using/game playing), user prefer matte panel;

It can reduces eyestrain and ambient light effect, that’s the main reason we use matte panel for all commercial and gaming monitor.

However, matte panel is not 100% better than glare panel, I think that’s why user have such request.

I already pass this idea to my team and boss, to see what we can do to improve our product.

This is great! You all have gotten their attention and made your preference quite clear. New product design decisions don't happen overnight, but this one seems to be underway already. Thank you all again for getting involved and voicing your views. Cool stuff!

It would be nice to see change in current line up

I pointed this out on that forum but I took issue with the "office user/game playing user". Those are two totally different users and will want two totally different things. I like that theyre at least paying lip service to us saying theyll look into this more but Im not holding my breath too much right now.

I don't get, we tried.
At least they didn't say no but like he said things don't happen overnight
I guess we wait lol im not waiting. It would be nice with current line but not going to happen.

Anyone who still hasn't posted anything there should still say something.
Also feel free posting the link in other forums... just keep it going :)

Last edited:
I pointed this out on that forum but I took issue with the "office user/game playing user". Those are two totally different users and will want two totally different things. I like that theyre at least paying lip service to us saying theyll look into this more but Im not holding my breath too much right now.

Yeah, their response was depressing.

Back