Lab-Grown Meat Is In Your Future

HardOCP News

[H] News
Would you eat lab grown meat even if it was healthier than real meat? I don't know, that sounds pretty damn gross to me. Then again, it can't be any worse than eating Taco Bell and McDonald's. Seriously, who knows what is in most of the fast food we eat?

If it's possible to grow meat in the lab, it is then possible to grow meat from human flesh for eating without harming anyone or risk from disease.

Pikqe8Z.png

would have a whole new connotation - originating from one sample, they could literally sell Wendy's meat in their burgers.

If it's possible to grow meat in the lab, it is then possible to grow meat from human flesh for eating without harming anyone or risk from disease.

Pikqe8Z.png

would have a whole new connotation - originating from one sample, they could literally sell Wendy's meat in their burgers.

You can wash it down with some tasty vaginal yeast beer

Reactions: Vokar
like this
I'd eat it if it tasted ok and was cheaper than raised meat. There is only so much land on earth and the amount we currently use to raise cattle isn't particularly realistic if we're planning on actually feeding everyone on the planet properly. It doesn't really gross me out, once they have the process perfected (which will be a long time) it should be basically indistinguishable but a lot more efficient.

Last I read lab meat completely lacked flavour. As in, it was a pink paste with protein, that's it.

I'd eat it if it tasted ok and was cheaper than raised meat. There is only so much land on earth and the amount we currently use to raise cattle isn't particularly realistic if we're planning on actually feeding everyone on the planet properly. It doesn't really gross me out, once they have the process perfected (which will be a long time) it should be basically indistinguishable but a lot more efficient.
I agree, but somehow I don't think they'll ever be able to reproduce the flavor of real animal fat. I don't care how safe and/or healthy it is; if they don't get the taste right then I'm not eating it.

Conversely, if it tastes good enough I'll eat it all day. Say what you want about Taco Bell, it tastes great.

Say what you want about Taco Bell, it tastes great.

I used to love Taco Bell. Now, not so much. However this goes its going to get a ton of push back from all sorts of side until it's cost effective, proven safe and tasty.

"Those who have tasted these items say they barely differ from the real deal." Many vegans say the same thing about crappy soy products too... I'd still try this though.

Also relevant:

"Those who have tasted these items say they barely differ from the real deal." Many vegans say the same thing about crappy soy products too... I'd still try this though.

Also relevant:

Says the carefully selected focus group controlled for by the marketing or outsourced PR department...

Also: that video made me laugh out loud at work, so thanks for that :ROFLMAO:.

Last edited:
This assumes that skeletal muscle is the only part of the animals with health benefits for human consumption. Ha! Interesting and sci-fi-esque

At least the vegans can't complain too much :)

Tastes the same and better before me, sounds good to me as long as the price is right.

There is only so much land on earth and the amount we currently use to raise cattle isn't particularly realistic if we're planning on actually feeding everyone on the planet properly.

It has nothing to do with feeding the planet. Never has, and never will. $$$

Now, a Mars mission or something, sure I can see this as having some potential. Need to have a tasty treat sometimes!

Back on earth, I'll stick to the real deal. Especially my venison! :)

The western world eats a lot of processed food. I wouldn't think of this any differently.

Now, a Mars mission or something, sure I can see this as having some potential. Need to have a tasty treat sometimes!

Never is a very long time, my friend. Once an economical $$$ production process is perfected mass sales will follow. When is the last time you hunted or farmed a Twinkie?

In fast food? Sure, can't see it replacing an authentic steak though.

Just like Monsanto, I do think that in the current reality that it is more about control than anything else.

Tastes the same and better before me, sounds good to me as long as the price is right.

Except that their first outing making the hamburger, the taste testers were IIRC public figures and they said it tasted like cardboard. So I think the author may be playing fast and loose with describing the taste.

Food for thought (hah!), would you change your mind if the environmental impact of lab grown meat was significantly less than the it is currently? I live in a state where the impact of unregulated cattle farming is rather significant... I'd at least be open-minded about an alternative.

Admittedly, lab grown meat sounds disgusting, but have ever visited a dairy farm? I promise you, it can't be worse than that.

Probably not. I prefer my unhealthy meat and animal fat. Don't care if it's better for the environment.

Try this new stuff we made in the lab! It's just like butter, but doesnt have all those terrible saturated fats. That's right, we've replaced it with these trans fats we've created in our lab. No chance of anything going wrong with margarine.

If you could clone the exact same perfect steak over and over again, hell yeah I'd eat it!

I'll let someone else pioneer this. In the meantime, I will stick with my steaks.
I just hope they don't go the "dog treat route" and make meat that has a "fake bone" in it. Can't remember the brand, but the dog treats look like little steaks. My dog used to eat them - but he also ate his own poo so not sure if you can judge his opinion...

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
I'm out no thanks and beat it before I hit you with this here stick. I live off the land to a large degree and getting better at doing it year round. Large garden and a freezer full of venison and other wild game plus we have chickens and pigs. Working on getting goats so then all dairy would be covered.
There is no way on Gods green earth that man made product can be healthier than natural good food.

Has anyone else read a manga called Bio Meat? The lab grown meat gets lose and starts eating everyone.

Considering how overpopulated we're becoming, maybe we should just become cannibals.

Long pork, the other, other white meat.

PotC: Dead Man's Chest:
Cannot say about Jack Sparrow, but dere's an island just south of de straits where I trade spice for... mmm... delicious long pork...

Back