L laptops

M3TH

n00b
I'm in the market for a laptop right now. I'm a freelance artist and about 90% of all my work is done digitally. The problem is that I rarely get a chance to leave the city let alone my apartment due to work so it'd be nice to be able to take my work with me.

I need something really high end with at least a 1GB of RAM, a good processor, video card etc... I don't really want a Dell. I've tried pricing a few through the site and they never seemed to offer the exact combination I wanted. I'd love and Alienware but they're hella expensive and then I found 'L' computers. Does anyone have any experiences about them? I'm looking at the 17" Hollywood Professional system right now but I want to get as much feedback as possible beforehand.

L Laptop Page

Originally posted by M3TH
I'm in the market for a laptop right now. I'm a freelance artist and about 90% of all my work is done digitally. The problem is that I rarely get a chance to leave the city let alone my apartment due to work so it'd be nice to be able to take my work with me.

I need something really high end with at least a 1GB of RAM, a good processor, video card etc... I don't really want a Dell. I've tried pricing a few through the site and they never seemed to offer the exact combination I wanted. I'd love and Alienware but they're hella expensive and then I found 'L' computers. Does anyone have any experiences about them? I'm looking at the 17" Hollywood Professional system right now but I want to get as much feedback as possible beforehand.

L Laptop Page
The L hollywoods look amazing, but I haven't seen any reviews yet.

get a mac for art like GLASSXEROX said i am not an art person but i gotta admit i love my mac even though its slow as hell and cant run any new games but the os is almost perfect and it never ever freeze's think about a powerbook before getting anything else if want a stable working enviroment.

The go-l computers, to the best of my knowledge, don't exist. They're Clevo computers (as sold by Sager ), but with specs that the Clevos don't come with.

If you are attracted by these, I suggest you buy from a reputable dealer (like the one I link to in this post), and go with the Sager 5680 or Sager 8890, which do exist, have been shipping since October, and have many very happy owners (including myself -- 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB HT P4, 1GB (max 2GB) Dual-Channel DDR400 RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo, 60GB, 7200RPM HD, 1600x1200 UXGA wide-angle view screen, built-in 802.11b and BlueTooth).

The processors in these notebooks are normal desktop processors. You can go to the store, buy a better P4 off the shelf, and put it in your notebook. Works a treat.

Plus, a year from now, when the replacements for these models come out, Sager provides complete motherboard, graphics card upgrades for about $600-700. So you get a whole new computer at a fraction of the price, with all new technology (new memory technology, new CPU sockets and technology, newest graphics card, etc.)

another vote for Clevo/Sager. The battery life would be my only concern, and the awkwardness of the weight may be an issue, though some people don't seem to mind. If that doesn't work, go with an apple....

Originally posted by fatbob_158
another vote for Clevo/Sager. The battery life would be my only concern, and the awkwardness of the weight may be an issue, though some people don't seem to mind. If that doesn't work, go with an apple....
I second that. I own a 4790 custom sager, and its speedy as hell. Specs in sig.

Originally posted by KevC
T41p forever.

Well I didn't have cash so I got a 600m. Works well for me :)

I know my R40 isn't as good as the T41p, but it is a hell of a laptop and everyone who has saw/used it agrees.

IBM = teh winner!

Go-L does exsist.
Are they a trusted dealer?
- Too soon to say.
What are they?
- Go-L laptops are custom made by Clevo, which though they are unique, they don't differ too much from the mass made Clevo models used by Sager.

At this point I'd go with IBM or Sager (Or if you really want to overspend - VoodooPC or Alienware); however, if you must have a Go-L, I'd definately try to wait and see how long they last, because if they go out of business, you're S.O.L..

Originally posted by Shyne151
I know my R40 isn't as good as the T41p, but it is a hell of a laptop and everyone who has saw/used it agrees.

IBM = teh winner!

t23 w00t!

Originally posted by Flipside
Go-L does exsist.
Are they a trusted dealer?
- Too soon to say.
What are they?
- Go-L laptops are custom made by Clevo, which though they are unique, they don't differ too much from the mass made Clevo models used by Sager.

At this point I'd go with IBM or Sager (Or if you really want to overspend - VoodooPC or Alienware); however, if you must have a Go-L, I'd definately try to wait and see how long they last, because if they go out of business, you're S.O.L..

They, as a company, exist. Their products, on the other hand, have yet to see the light of day.

if i am not mistaken i also see many pop-up ads from them, a company that uses that kind of advertisment techniques is one i would stay away from

Thanks for all the responses guys. It was actually through a pop-up for a contest that I stumbled upon that site. I won't be buying the laptop until the summer at the earliest, but I just want to stay on top of things so that when the time comes I'll know exactly which one to go with.

I seem to see a lot of good things in this forum about the Sager computers so I'll put that at the top of my list to research.

Oh, and I did consider going with a Mac, but I don't want to have to go out and rebuy all my programs in order to get my work done.

I would look at the 17" PowerBook around when you're hoping to buy (though be careful - Apple may be releasing G5 PowerBooks in the fall). Not that it's the ultimate speed demon, but it does have a good video chipset and is probably the only 17" laptop you can actually carry with you. I wouldn't want to be lugging around a thick (1.7") and heavy (over 9 pounds) laptop, especially not if there's going to be other gear in my bag.

Originally posted by skritch
They, as a company, exist. Their products, on the other hand, have yet to see the light of day.

Check out the newest Maximum PC....

Originally posted by Flipside
Check out the newest Maximum PC....

Did they review an actual Go-L machine? And is it a machine that meets the specs they advertise? I mean, they could have just handed them a Sager 8890, said, "Ours isn't ready yet, and will have even better specs, but here, be impressed", and MPC would be duly impressed.

Let's put it this way: The Producer is a Sager 8890. In fact, it's a STOCK Sager 8890, with a P4EE and DDR433 rather than DDR400. And several bits of MarketingSpeak(TM) coined by Go-L to make it sound extra spiffy. At up to $4000 more than what it costs to buy an 8890 off the shelf, as it were.

The Studio is the Sager 5680. Except they're offering it with a screen (2048x1536) that doesn't exist. The best screen available on the 5680 (from Clevo) is UXGA -- 1600x1200. This "PuRAM" thing they put on every machine is either vaporware, or a solid-state disk drive. Big deal. The "enhanced cooling technology" is just the stock 5680 cooling.

It's a stock 5680, for thousands more than you can buy a 5680, and it's advertised with tech you simply can't get. But feel free to give them money for a 2048x1536 Studio -- I'm sure they'll ship you one. Sometime in December, 2004, when 15" screens in that resolution are shipping in quantity and in Clevo's hands (HINT: If Clevo had those screens in stock, they'd be offered on the Sager 5680. They aren't. Q.E.D.)

I won't go into the Hollywood (because I'm not as familliar with that particular Sager model), but it's the same story: A few specs that simply don't exist, a whole lot of fancy words to describe stock components, and a price that's several thousand above what you can buy that same model from elsewhere.

So, the point here is this: Go-L is marketing those three Clevo models just like Sager and VoodooPC, and other Clevo resellers. But unlike Sager and VoodooPC, they're trying to pull the wool over your eyes with marketing mumbo jumbo making standard features sound special, "specs" that list options rather than items included in the order (e.g., the external PCI slots. Sure, it's available. It's available for every other notebook on the planet too. That unit is a PCMCIA-attached external expansion chassis), and a few specs that just don't exist. And then they jack up the price, hoping people fall for it.

I wouldn't spend the money VoodooPC asks for either, but at least they're honest, and at least their value-add is the custom paint jobs (though PCTorque offers nice custom paint jobs as well, and from a vendor that Sager has approved and will honor the warrantee on a painted unit).

Go-L is hype, nothing more. That's why everyone's heard of them, and nobody's touched their products, or is impressed when they do touch them (because they're stock Sagers). Go-L is banking on the fact that few people are familiar with Sagers. They hope that when people get their hands on a machine through Go-L, they're very impressed. Not because Go-L is selling anything special, but because Sager notebooks are damned nice, and extremely powerful.

If Go-L were doing the same thing with Dells, nobody would buy them. Why? Because many people are familiar with Dells, and recognize them fairly easily (particularly the 8xxx series). But because a very few people have ever used, seen, or even heard of Sager notebooks, Go-L can get away with this.

skritch: Good points. I've looked at the Sager site and it seems to be offering more than I wanted for the same price I was willing to pay. I'd love a custom paint job, but I think I'd rather stick $460 worth of parts inside it instead of getting a yellow case (That and I didn't like the yellow colour offered by PCTorque).

Did they review an actual Go-L machine? And is it a machine that meets the specs they advertise?

Yes, however they reviewed the Mach desktop machine, and though I realize it isn't a laptop, it still proves that they products do actually exists.

skritch, good point.

Go with a IBM or Sager they are both great brands.

On another forum, someone ordered a Hollywood model laptop from GO-L, and was promised a ship date of yesterday (via overnight delivery). Haven't checked up on his progress yet. I'll dig it up and post back.

skritch, GO-L says they sell customized Clevos, not stock Clevo's (i.e. Sager) or rebadged Sagers. This accounts not only for the major design similarities, but also the minor differences. If you go to the site, you'll see that the 2048x1536 number is a maximum resolution (i.e. scaled) available on a 1600x1200 pixel screen; this screen definitely does exist. So should the PuRam, which seems to be GO-L's name for solid state disk drives.

I think you said it best: GO-L is using marketing hype to try and sucker people into buying overpriced systems. But based on the specs, I have no reason to doubt that they can deliver the systems they sell. Whether they will remains to be seen.

Originally posted by MEfreak
On another forum, someone ordered a Hollywood model laptop from GO-L, and was promised a ship date of yesterday (via overnight delivery). Haven't checked up on his progress yet. I'll dig it up and post back.

skritch, GO-L says they sell customized Clevos, not stock Clevo's (i.e. Sager) or rebadged Sagers. This accounts not only for the major design similarities, but also the minor differences. If you go to the site, you'll see that the 2048x1536 number is a maximum resolution (i.e. scaled) available on a 1600x1200 pixel screen; this screen definitely does exist. So should the PuRam, which seems to be GO-L's name for solid state disk drives.

I think you said it best: GO-L is using marketing hype to try and sucker people into buying overpriced systems. But based on the specs, I have no reason to doubt that they can deliver the systems they sell. Whether they will remains to be seen.

Yes, but my main point is the specs, when you take away all the optional crap and the solid state drives, are for stock Sager/Clevo notebooks with DDR433 RAM and P4EEs. The only difference between these and the stock Sagers is the DDR433. Stock Sagers ship with DDR400.

...and why anyone would spend money on a P4EE is beyond me, but *shrug* to each his or her own. ;)

I'm just trying to save people some money and headaches by pointing out that this company, that uses less-than-scrupulous advertising tactics, is selling something easily bought elsewhere for much less.

I feel sorry for whoever just paid them for a Sager 8890. I hope they didn't need that money.

(and yes, I realize they're Clevos. I refer to them as Sagers, because I'm familiar with the Sager model numbers, not the Clevo model numbers.)

As for that 2048x1536 screen, I'll believe it when I see it. I can set my 5680 to 2048x1536, but all it does is scroll. The maximum resolution of the 15" UXGA screens being shipped with the Sager 5680 and Sager 8890 is 1600x1200. Clevo has no supply of screens that can display 2048x1536. Therefore, Go-L cannot be selling notebooks capable of displaying it.

Yes, but my main point is the specs, when you take away all the optional crap and the solid state drives, are for stock Sager/Clevo notebooks with DDR433 RAM and P4EEs. The only difference between these and the stock Sagers is the DDR433. Stock Sagers ship with DDR400.

Very true, which is why I also feel sorry for those who waste money on GO-L systems, but also why, business practices aside, I do not doubt that GO-L can deliver the advertised systems as promised.

I'm not familiar enough with laptop screens to debate the max resolution of a 1600x1200 pixel display. I added the info only to clarify that GO-L is not claiming to use a 2048x1536 pixel screen. But out of curiosity, how do you know that Clevo does not have access to a 1600x1200 pixel screen with 2048x1536 max resolution?

Very true, which is why I also feel sorry for those who waste money on GO-L systems, but also why, business practices aside, I do not doubt that GO-L can deliver the advertised systems as promised.

I'm not familiar enough with laptop screens to debate the max resolution of a 1600x1200 pixel display. I added the info only to clarify that GO-L is not claiming to use a 2048x1536 pixel screen. But out of curiosity, how do you know that Clevo does not have access to a 1600x1200 pixel screen with 2048x1536 max resolution?

Go-L IS claiming to use a 2048x1536 screen. Look at the specs of the Hollywood (or was it the Studio?) Read them, and tell me you don't come away thinking they sell a notebook that can do 2048x1536 native.

As for how I know Clevo doesn't have the screens: My reseller is in fairly good contact with Clevo. I know they don't have those screens, because they were desired by myself and several others, and he made it a point to ask them. Nor do they have the 16" UXGA screens they were briefly shipping the 8890's with. The supply for all vendors has dried up.

Another, common-sense reason why I know Clevo doesn't have the 2048x1536 screens: Nobody else does, as evidenced by the utter lack of notebooks with them. LCD manufacturers make LARGE batches, and sell to MANY manufacturers simultaneously. Most notebooks have LCDs that come from a small handful of LCD manufacturers. If 2048x1536 screens were in production, you'd see notebooks with them. You'd see product announcements from the big notebook names. You'd see -- well, frankly, you'd see them everywhere. They're nowhere. Not with Clevo, not with Dell's OEM, not with IBM's OEM, not with anyone. They're not in production.

And unless Go-L sells the 2048x1536 notebook for $20k to cover the one-off cost of having an LCD manufacturer supply them and only them, I sincerely doubt they're ever going to ship a 2048x1536 notebook. At least, not until everyone else is.

Go-L IS claiming to use a 2048x1536 screen. Look at the specs of the Hollywood (or was it the Studio?) Read them, and tell me you don't come away thinking they sell a notebook that can do 2048x1536 native.

After re-reading the specs, I have to agree with you on this one. It now looks to me like they are using tricky language to pass off a 1600x1200 display as 2048x1536 display. So scratch my previous statement of:

"I added the info only to clarify that GO-L is not claiming to use a 2048x1536 pixel screen."

For clarification, do your above statements pertain to a native 1600x1200 res display, a native 2048x1536 res display, or a native 1600x1200 res display that can scale to 2048x1536? Just for my curiosity.

Update on the guinea pig: GO-L supposedly shipped out his Hollywood yesterday via UPS ground. Check out the thread over at talknotebooks..

For clarification, do your above statements pertain to a native 1600x1200 res display, a native 2048x1536 res display, or a native 1600x1200 res display that can scale to 2048x1536? Just for my curiosity.

It's a native 1600x1200 res display. If you set it to 2048x1536, it just scrolls to show the screen territory...it's still displaying 1600x1200.

Odd that I didn't notice the thread on talknotebooks. I read that site all the time...but I don't normally stray from the Sager forums.

EDIT: After reading through the thread, I'm not at all surprised they're jerking him around on the shipping. Typical tactic for a company like that. And the fact they're advertising dual-channel DDR on a motherboard whose chipset is KNOWN not to do dual-channel, well... let's just say it's not helping their credibility any.

And let's not ignore the fact that the entire Go-L website is a blatant rip-off of the Apple website. So much so that I've reported it to a few insiders I know at Apple. We'll see how much longer it looks that way.

So much so that I've reported it to a few insiders I know at Apple.
hm,, i know a guy who works daily with steve... i should mention it to him..

while im glad to hear that he got his stuff and that L is a real company, well, at least, a real, well marketed rebadging company, more power to them. alienware made a fortune off of it and im only pissed i didnt think of it first ;)

but it still seems silly to me to buy a L product when you can get a sager that is EXACTLY the same (sans the funny little L rock on the front) from pctorque that weighs in a couple hundred bucks less. makes me wonder what the point is of ordering from them..

Originally posted by jarhead
while im glad to hear that he got his stuff and that L is a real company, well, at least, a real, well marketed rebadging company, more power to them. alienware made a fortune off of it and im only pissed i didnt think of it first ;)

but it still seems silly to me to buy a L product when you can get a sager that is EXACTLY the same (sans the funny little L rock on the front) from pctorque that weighs in a couple hundred bucks less. makes me wonder what the point is of ordering from them..

You can't get that 4780 with the 9600PRO except through L.

Back