KZ2 Owners - Thoughts?

rgratto2

2[H]4U
To those of you who actually own KZ2, what do you think? Does it live up to the hype? Is the SP good? How does the MP stack up? This is a potential buy, but I've seen strangely little feedback so far!

I think the game is polished and really wonderful all the way around. It's an A-level game for sure.

I have 2 complaints that are honestly small compared to the good things:

1. Aiming is weird. You can either have precise aiming, or you can be able to look around quickly. If you bump up the sensitivity so you can look quickly, the tiniest twitch will move your crosshair a LONG way.

2. The online play is MMO'like in a bad way. Early on, you have limited weapon selection and you earn more by playing more and doing better. Problem is, it makes the experienced players slaughter the noobs with better firepower.

Only really played the singleplayer but I really like. Very well done game. Very very solid in my mind I haven't hit any point in the first couple missions where I got frustrated at the developers, like in many other games, not going to name any because that starts a flame war. I feel all console shooters are imprecise so i haven't really noticed the sensitivity thing everyone is talking about, but that's just me. Really well done overall some nice big battles, the cutscenes and story are really well done and the story seems decent if a bit short on the backstory. Honestly my biggest thing with it is the sound, my ps3 is hooked up through optical to my Sony surround and it truly sounds amazing, positional audio is excellent and with the amount of things going on it actually helps a lot. Not the greatest game ever but a very good one nonetheless, and as good as pretty much any fps in recent memory(fallout3=rpg)

As far as the MMo stuff that's Cod4/5 to a T. I haven't tried jumping online yet. My son broke my mic Saturday but probably go get me one this afternoon.

But I like it alot, the aiming is odd, especially if your used to playing CoD4 on the 360.
I'm almost at the end of the singleplayer and I'm still having a few issue's with it. If the analog stick's didn't have that dead space on them it would be much better.

Great game so far, graphics are amazing at times but the controls do take some getting use to, havent tried MP yet (wanna make sure I have the controls down first) but the single player is damn good.

SP is good, but not great (don't expect anything groundbreaking, or any sort of a worthwhile story). MP is great.

I think im almost done the SP and I have taken a run at skirmish. Still havent done MP yet.

Single player campaign is excellent. Its non-stop balls to the walls action. I find myself so caught up in the action that Im not having a chance to enjoy the awesome visuals ie: the battle on the ship where u see the space war out the windows.
going to need a second play-through for sure.

skirmish was a blast too.

overall one of the best games I have played in years. best game i have played on a console.

if you have a PS3, you owe it to yourself to play KZ2

SP was excellent but short....finished on normal on only a bit under 6 hours...but then again, I was only 45% done because of Intel and the Symbols.
MP is fucking addicting....I've played about 21 (probably more) hours since launch already.

Ive been having a blast playing the MP and lvling, getting use to the controls and maps was the only major hurdle, but thats with any game...especially for someone like me who plays Fps's a lot on Pc. (BF2, CSS, DODs)

Im seriously loving this game! ( now if they added mouse+kb support, OH GOD)

Imo for sound, gameplay, graphics, multiplayer, lasting appeal its better than any other console shooter out there.
Controls feel spot on for me, its seems a bit more realistic rather than boom headshot, boom headshot on all these other games. The singleplayer game is permanently intense, you have to keep moving, you cant hide for long or the redeyes will soon flush you out! i played the singleplayer game straight through yesterday(which i havent done on many other games) gonna start on hard tonight lol.
My only complaint: i wanted a bit more of an ending and the last boss is rock hard mofo, god knows what the last boss will be like on max difficulty.
If u like shooters and have a ps3 u must buy this game!

I only played a mission or two of the single player before I gave multiplayer a shot and while it was quite good the online play is so great that I haven't looked back. There's definitely a bit of the-rich-get-richer but the alternative is more or less to not give incentives at all and honestly, you don't have to be the best player in the world to unlock everything. As long as you're moderately competent you can achieve general rank in a few weeks of average playtime.

The controls are good, this game is not a twitch shooter and regardless of how good you are, you can expect to lose a 3v1 against good players almost all the time. You're just not supposed to be able to aim and shoot with superhuman speed and accuracy.

I played some games last night and got to use some of the better weapons.
For a game that can have upwards of 32 players I've noticed very little if any lag. Even in complete chaos, the framerates and online play have been steady.
I still desperately wish the PSN had the XBL party system. My friends and I have still be logging into XBL while playing KZ just for the chat ability.

I played some games last night and got to use some of the better weapons.
For a game that can have upwards of 32 players I've noticed very little if any lag. Even in complete chaos, the framerates and online play have been steady.
I still desperately wish the PSN had the XBL party system. My friends and I have still be logging into XBL while playing KZ just for the chat ability.

There should be a private chat ability with Clans members.

Region free dedicated servers ftw.

I am enjoying SP for now, even did a few bot MP matches. Damn school, I can't play as much as I want!

2. The online play is MMO'like in a bad way. Early on, you have limited weapon selection and you earn more by playing more and doing better. Problem is, it makes the experienced players slaughter the noobs with better firepower.

Check "My Rank" when searching for servers and you won't have to worry about playing the vets.

If you own a PS3 and like FPS games then you should get KZ2. The single player is a lot of fun and intense. Multiplayer is also good and has a lot of options to keep it fresh. Now that it out of the way... I can not get over how bad the controls are... none of the button layouts work well for me... I do not understand why you can not assign each buttons the way you want them like on most PC games. This should be an easy feature to add to a game the ability to assign buttons the way you want them. Also the aiming is slow and heavy and it seems like even with the sensitivity set to high it does not fix it. The buttons layout and heavy feel to aiming are pretty game breaking for me which because of that I doubt I will play the game long online once I beat the single player.

Check "My Rank" when searching for servers and you won't have to worry about playing the vets.

Problem is, my two buddies that have the game are both other ranks :)
One's really high ranked, the others in the middle, and I've only got like a couple of stripes.
I never really played CoD, so this ranking stuff is new to me. I'm just used to hopping in and playing with whomever like in Halo or L4D.

Last night we played on an open server and I did okay. When players with good weapons die I'll pick 'em up. Plus, there are enough noob players on 32 person games to give me some kills here and there.

Very intense game, the best shooter I have played on a console so far. In general console controllers suck balls for FPS games regardless of how well they tune the game controls and this one is no different, but it does feel better than most of the FPS games I've played so far on a console with the exception of Halo on the XBOX. You get used to it after a while and the action just keeps you glued to the damn thing. I'm playing the game on Veteran difficulty (whatever the highest unlocked by default setting is called). The enemy AI is really good, and the levels don't play out in the same manner when you respawn after being killed. I am annoyed that I can revive my teammates but they can't revive me within a certain time frame.

This is a very solid release with short load times, great graphics, engaging game play, excellent sound and decent controls (once you get used to them).

the controls have a bit of a learning curve. I would give the game 7/10. its fun but nothing ground breaking.

I must be lucky because the only game where the controls were ever bad for me was RE5. Otherwise, I am able to hop in and adapt to any games controls within minutes. KZ2 seems to be the best for me.

It completely meets my expectations. As far as people nitpicking the controls, play it for yourself and see what you think. I had no problem picking it up. People fail to realize the decision behind why the controls are the way they are. The cover system, weapons and movement feel real.

The squad tactics of the helghast are brutal on hard difficulty. Somehow I got a save game in the middle of a huge firefight with only the pistol, I was forced to reload that section after trying everything to progress.

I do not believe, for a second, that it has anyting to do with people "failing to realize" why the controls are they way they are. It is that people just do not like them.

Frankly I do not care why the controls feel the way they do, I just do not like the way they feel. They are "in the way" of the game for me.

If how they feel is what the developer was going for great! They made a decision about something and that decision obviously has people divided over whether it is a good thing or not. That will be reflected in their sales. Maybe more people will buy it because it is "different", maybe less.

All I know for sure is that for me it feels off and that HAS cost them a sale to me. The smart thing to do, in order to reach a broader audience - in light of feedback on this issue -would be to make such "realism" (that really is a laugh, it feels NOTHING like wearing body armor and carrying an actual gun) optional.

Even Gran Turismo has that as an option.

All I know for sure is that for me it feels off and that HAS cost them a sale to me. The smart thing to do, in order to reach a broader audience - in light of feedback on this issue -would be to make such "realism" (that really is a laugh, it feels NOTHING like wearing body armor and carrying an actual gun) optional.

Even Gran Turismo has that as an option.

How would this possibly work for a multiplayer shooter? You can't make the game feel right for everyone because the speed and accuracy with which you aim directly affects how easy it is to shoot someone. One way or another everyone has to be on level playing field in this respect.

The same way it works for any PC shooter where you can directly change your pointer sensitivity, acceleration etc?

You can change sensitivity, but it's universal.
For instance in Left 4 Dead or Halo 3, small movement with the analog stick will properly align your crosshair, while pressing the stick all the way in any direction will make a much more profound movement so you can better look around the area.
In KZ2, there is no acceleration when you move the stick in a direction...ie. you look around eerily slow if your sensitivity is too low. If you bump the sensitivity up, then all of a sudden, the tiniest movement with your analog stick causes the crosshair to jump around instead of moving gradually.

I don't think it was there for "realism" at all. I think it was simply poor implimentation. Having in the needless controller configurations (rather than letting you map them yourself) is also kind of stupid.
I really think that the controls were an afterthought. They don't balance the game or make them more realistic at all.

I'm almost done with SP, on the last stage and I'm pretty unimpressed so far. Graphics, story, emersion, etc. The last 2 chapters were a whole lot better than the first 6 in terms of mood and feeling, but I was still pretty let down. I'm still looking for a FPS to give me the same feeling that COD 1&2 gave me from their SP campaign.

Haven't played MP yet, waiting to beat the game first. Hopefully MP makes up for the let downs in the campaign.

I played through the first 3 sections of the single player. Maybe 2 hours of it. That seems pretty good but I haven't felt like going back to it since the multiplayer is so good. I normally hate console FPS games, i'm more in to cs and team fortress, pc shooters. I put over 20 hours into killzone online this weekend though. The leveling up and collecting different badges to get new abilities really keeps you trying new things and interested in the game. The aiming does suck, i hope they find some way to fix it up. uhmmmmm, good game, worth buying if you're looking for some stuff to kill on ps3

You can't change the acceleration, and you certainly can't do anything about the lag which is there by default.

Just got done playing it for about 2 hours. It's good - but it has it's problems. I know a lot of people are bitching about the controls, but unfortunately there's some merit to their argument. The mouse look/aiming is inconsistent and hard to control. It makes aiming more of a choir than it really needs to be. I understand they're going for a 'slow, tactical' shooter, and I can appreciate that, but that doesn't make the aiming any less frustrating.

The second issue is the cover system. It's pretty bad. Sometimes it won't let you take cover behind something you'd think you should take cover behind. Then on things where you can take cover, it doesn't let you peek around corners. Or, worse yet, you character will start to juke out, moving in,out, in, out, in, out...... Then there are times where you can take cover and lean, but it won't let you shoot. It's all very inconsistent at best, and I've just learned to not use it.

Enemy AI is pretty good - I like it and they create some nice battle setpieces. But your squad AI is subpar. As almost every review has mentioned, this game would be stellar as coop.

The game is downright gorgeous though, and there are times when a battle falls into place and everything feels fucking awesome. It has some of the better sound effects of any game out there. It's a great game, but it's just a shame I'm constantly wrestling with the controls. It's either too fast - or too slow.

Does it live up to the hype? No. The graphics are good, but nothing out of this world, and nothing that can't be found on the other console.

Gameplay is solid in SP and MP. Controls blow, but they will do. If anyone wants to get some MP going with me, add Bogie19th to your PSN list.

How would this possibly work for a multiplayer shooter? You can't make the game feel right for everyone because the speed and accuracy with which you aim directly affects how easy it is to shoot someone. One way or another everyone has to be on level playing field in this respect.

Others have given perfectly eloquent responses, but I'll toss back my $0.02 as well ...

While I take your point that a "level playing field" is important to fair competition, the same problem exists in the realm of multiplayer PC based FPS games and always has - if for different reasons.

I do not think any two of my PC gaming friends have even the same MOUSE, let alone driver revisions (if you think that makes no difference you have not spent any time suffering with 4.x and 5.x revisions of IntelliPoint which seemed to change the scaling every damn build) or settings.

When I still cared, professional level PC FPS competitions allowed players not just to use different mice, but also to specify which driver revision and settings were used. No idea if that is still the case, but it certainly was in the past.

So there, in almost every case, was a HUGE difference in precision and speed. No ... it was not a result of how the game was written, but the difference was still present and people managed. You got to use what worked best for you and that really was as much as people asked.

The same is true, of course, for differing levels of PC performance in the PC gaming world, regardless of game genre. The guy stuck on a GeForce 5900 is obviously at a disadvantage compared to someone running 260's in SLI.

Even ignoring that though, there are multiple ways to address the issue in multiplayer, the very simplest of which is either require SPECIFIC control settings for online play, or MATCHING control settings for all players in a given match. No special reason why those that do not really care one way or the other cannot play in a mixed control evironment either and use what they feel works best for them.

Edit:

Thinking a bit more on this, the same issue comes up with racing games even on consoles. Using a wheel, especially one with good force feedback, in Forza 2 or Gran Turismo 5 (P) is a HUGE advantage over using a controller. And even the type of wheel has a major impact (I would much rather use my G25 over the Microsoft wheel in Forza 2 ... sadly I cannot) and there is a SIGNIFICANT cost-barrier to using those FAR superior control schemes.

Two guesses how those issues are handled in those games ;)

Anyway at least in the case of control behavior options built into the game itself there is no COST barrier that unfairly discriminates against one player over another. They are free to use what works best for them, and it is still trivial to offer modes of play that require ABSOLUTELY even settings.

Even on identical hardware and controls the network will be a factor. If you are on the 360 then you often wind up with a host advantage, and on ANY systems latency is a factor as well (I do not play multiplayer games on my PS3 so I do not know what is server-hosted versus peer-hosted there). You can only average out or interpolate the effects of that.

Anyway, I will shut up now and just hope Killzone 2 gets an option for more traditional feeling controls because I really liked what I saw in the demo, but know myself more than well enough to know I will not perserve with those controls and as a result will not drop the $60 on it as it stands.

i downloaded the demo. Same song and dance... FPS and consoles do not mix well IMHO.

I'm going to agree with you 100%. I bought it a few days ago since I'd heard so much about it and don't really have many games (at all) for my PS3. It seems to be pretty neat, but I'm struggling through the single player on easy because I can't shoot shit. I've heard console people bitching about the controls too, so maybe it's not just me. I tried CoD4 on my brother's PS3 and I couldn't shoot for shit on it either, though. I think I might buy one of the KbM adapters and see if it works worth a damn. I'd get a great deal more use out of my ps3 if I could FPS with the keyboard/mouse.

I would think that with the criticism we have seen about the controls, I wouldn't rule out a patch to give the options to change things up.

Im not sure how Guerrilla Games deals with after product support, but by the polish of the game, I would kind of expect them to bring out a fix in the future for this control issue.

Posted over in the demo thread but just noticed that this one was open...How do you get 1080i in this game? The box claims it's capable of it, and my TV and PS3 are both set to 1080p. My TV is capable of 1080i, so what's the deal? There's no option for it in-game.

i must be the only one who doesnt mind the controls, infact im absolutely shit hot with it! i hope its left as it is, looks like ill be gettin platinum trophy in this game if it is!

I don't know, friends. I'm not sure how far along in the campaign I am (at the bridge), but it's really starting to wear on me. Now the game is starting to throw the old infinite-waves-of-enemes-until-you-push-forward-to-a-certain-point gag, which is about as annoying as game design can get. Especially since you don't figure it out until 5 minutes later and you're out of ammo.

And I really regret playing it on Hard - as it only seems to make my worthless squad mate even more worthless. If he's not begging for me to revive him, he's yelling "Ohhh I'm not cleaning that one up" at me.

Single-player = rental.

I am thinking I might trade mine in for MLB The Show 09. This game isn't really that great after all.

Back