Kyle, get one of these and test it

Pin grid array... Swiftech stopped using that tech in the 90s iirc.
Yep, very antiquated design. I used some of those blocks from Swiftech back in the day. Much less expensive to cut that profile than doing microfins.

I just bought one. Let me know if you ever want to use it and I'll ship it out for free. It seemed like a nice gag purchase.
I want to see your results for sure.

Even if it is an old design, I'm still curious. Water is generally better than air given the thermal capacity of the water itself....could still outperform most air coolers easily if coupled with a good pump.

My waterblocks are very old, I'd say worse design than this and they still hold up well. Swiftech apogee gt on a i5 skylake and the old universal mcw60 on a gtx 970.

I used to use a water block that I built myself with a drill press. Made an array of holes and used a dremel to cut between them making pins. It worked surprisingly well, the apogee only performs maybe 2 c better at most. I abandoned it because I was using cheap drill bits and the press was crap too. Broke off the tip of a lot of drill bits with no way to remove them. Steel rusts, contaminated the entire system.

Suggest me a good air cooler to compare this to. I currently run an AIO water cooler as it is so my results will likely be pretty boring.

If you look closely at all the pics , it looks to me like the pic of it mounted on the motherboard shows fins instead of pins....seems a bit inconsistent.

If you look closely at all the pics , it looks to me like the pic of it mounted on the motherboard shows fins instead of pins....seems a bit inconsistent.

asian ebay seller inconsistent? surely you jest

not to toot my own horn but there have been 2 bought since i posted this thread.

just saying

:D

Back