KT-400 HTPC Case?

Yeah.. I agree, that sucks bro! ..For what it's worth, I feel your pain. It can be fixed, so thats a good thing. If the PSU mount is too twisted up to repair, I'll gladly ship you mine. I didn't use my PSU mount or my Huntkey PSU.

I pushed it back into place but I'm amazed at how poor the original PSU mount is, now I can see why everyone is modifying it. The dent probably will not be noticed. I think the case looks nice but the quality of internals sin't very good, the steel is thin and cheap feeling. (What did I expect for $45!) In the end it should serve it's purpose of sitting in the rack with my other audio equipment though It's not like I will be tinkering with it often.

I think I might just transfer the guts from the Dell into it for now after I drill out some of the holes. Need to figure out the best place to purchase those thin fans as well.

Well the habey I am building is at home. So I will be able to psu with its goodness tonight
Posted via Mobile Device

Has anyone else tried the media card reader? ..it's ..S..L..O..W.. Yikes! ..Thank goodness I have an external one that fast. :cool:

I was thinking I'd probably have to pass on it. The extra features of the case have been less than stellar. I'm afraid to give the IR a shot for fear that my remote might kill that in some unfortunate and unlikely turn of events.

I got my KT-400 yesterday. Unfortunately it is damaged :(. Probably not to the point where it is worth shipping back though.

Looks like the PSU mount sucks so bad that it allowed the PSU to push into and dent the side of the case from the inside out.

The mounting tabs on the PSU mount are all bent and twisted.

Kt-400

Kt-400 dented
I had the same problem. Gota love UPS.

I was thinking I'd probably have to pass on it. The extra features of the case have been less than stellar. I'm afraid to give the IR a shot for fear that my remote might kill that in some unfortunate and unlikely turn of events.

I actually used the IR that came with the case... and it worked great until my Samsung DLP bit the dust. I didn't get a chance to try my Harmony remote on it yet. My new TV should be here in a few days and then I'll give it a shot.

Hello, can you please let me know how to use the remote? I have no instructions available. Thanks in advance
EJS

Hi all,

Been lurking here for a few days and just bought one of these cases on ebay so I thought I would stop by and say HI. I haven't been able to find much information available on the net about these cases but i did find this. http://www.nmediapc.com/htpc600a.htm Looks like its a varient of the nMedia HTPC 600. Its probably a knock off from them but if it is a nMedia case I would like to say that I have another one of their cases and I've been very happy with it.

Just wanted to share the info with you guys.

Steve

Hi all,

Been lurking here for a few days and just bought one of these cases on ebay so I thought I would stop by and say HI. I haven't been able to find much information available on the net about these cases but i did find this. http://www.nmediapc.com/htpc600a.htm Looks like its a varient of the nMedia HTPC 600. Its probably a knock off from them but if it is a nMedia case I would like to say that I have another one of their cases and I've been very happy with it.

Just wanted to share the info with you guys.

Steve
Wow. Instant computer case, just add name. No engineers required.

Bought one of these cases recently. Luckily mine arrived in better shape than Justintoxicated!
I'm progressing through several modifications, many suggested here on the [H]ard|Forum.
I drilled out the vent holes in the bottom and left side of the case to get more air in and out of the
power supply. I've also removed the webbing and widened the opening in the plastic spacer on which
the power supply sits. I also removed as much of the metal as I could from the plenum or duct
attached to the power supply. Had to tack weld it back to give it some strength after all that grinding
and cutting. Working on prepping the interior for paint now. Nothing special, just satin black.
Other additions:
Replacing the 80mm fan with an Enermax Enobal quiet case fan
Adding a Scythe 120mm x 12mm slim low speed quiet case fan (on order)

Will take some pictures and post in a few days.

Building a low budget HTPC:
Gigabyte 8800GM-UD2H
AMD Regor 255 3.1 GHz, stock HS/Fan
4 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3
ASUS DVD Burner
500 GB and 2TB hard drives

Bought one of these cases recently. Luckily mine arrived in better shape than Justintoxicated!
I'm progressing through several modifications, many suggested here on the [H]ard|Forum.
I drilled out the vent holes in the bottom and left side of the case to get more air in and out of the
power supply. I've also removed the webbing and widened the opening in the plastic spacer on which
the power supply sits. I also removed as much of the metal as I could from the plenum or duct
attached to the power supply. Had to tack weld it back to give it some strength after all that grinding
and cutting. Working on prepping the interior for paint now. Nothing special, just satin black.
Other additions:
Replacing the 80mm fan with an Enermax Enobal quiet case fan
Adding a Scythe 120mm x 12mm slim low speed quiet case fan (on order)

Will take some pictures and post in a few days.

Building a low budget HTPC:
Gigabyte 8800GM-UD2H
AMD Regor 255 3.1 GHz, stock HS/Fan
4 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3
ASUS DVD Burner
500 GB and 2TB hard drives

Would love to see any progress pictures that you've taken along the way (and of course, your final shots once it's completed).

Hi all,

Got my case in the other day and it was slightly damaged in the back. Not enough for negative feedback but still shows how cheap it is. In case anyone is interested, mine came with a YAOCOO Media Center Remote. It has a receiver mounted in the case......Long story short I wanted to get it to work with my Harmony remote and after several hours of trial and error and searching, I found that if you configure the harmony for a media center pc and the type as a Speedlink model SL-6399 it seems to work pretty well.

Just passing the info along.

Steve

Good info to know Steve.. Anyone else take pictures of their setup? ..Not much of an update here but my case has been doing extremely well. No issues what-so-ever with the DVD tray door (I tightened the springs a little), the case temps (and CPU) are VERY cool and just all around build quality of my "finished product" couldn't make me happier. I even gamed on it for a bit playing Bulletstorm for a few hours.. Pretty happy here!

Luckily my case arrived without damage.

This does appear to be an old nMedia case from a couple years ago. I would guess that this is old stock someone ran across and is selling.

Haven't bought anything else yet, as I missed out on the Microcenter i3 deal last week (they where sold out 2 hours before the store even opened)
So, I installed an old P4 motherboard to test the power supply, etc.

I was supprised at how quiet the power supply was, couldn't hear it over the quiet CPU fan I was using.
Reviews on similar Huntkey green star 550 watt power supply seem ok as long as it was under 300 watts (it had alot of noise at 400 and fried at 550 watts). Since the most my system will likely draw is around 100 watts, I shouldn't have to worry about frying it. However I plan to replace it if I find it's too inefficent at idle. The review showed it at 83% efficiency at 136 watts which isn't bad.

Does anyone know what size fans the KT-400 accommodates (minus modding)? Is it for 60mm, 80mm, or 92mm?

Does anyone know what size fans the KT-400 accommodates (minus modding)? Is it for 60mm, 80mm, or 92mm?

In "stock" form, it accommodates (1) 80mm fan and (2) 120mm x 12mm (or one guy on here was able to fit in 120mm x 20mm fans).

Does anyone else have pictures of their final "product"? ..I am SUPER happy with my build. Cutting the sides off and re-engineering my case was the best darn thing I've done in a while.. I'm actually very happy to report that EVERYONE who has seen this case in person has given tons of positive feedback. I've since been "contracted" to build (2) setups very similiar to this KT-400 case. :D

Lol i got the side fans in and the psu in but i stopped there. The htpc is sitting in its temp lian li home. I have been too busy to use it or watch movies on it.

Lol i got the side fans in and the psu in but i stopped there. The htpc is sitting in its temp lian li home. I have been too busy to use it or watch movies on it.

I've watched a few blurays on mine (LG Bluray ROM with Arcsoft TotalMedia 5). Plays perfectly..

DSCN0715.jpg

DSCN0713.jpg

DSCN0712.jpg

DSCN0711.jpg

Finally got to building the pc in this case and man it is really unfriendly. Will post some pis soon...

Thing looks like a beast, officer. Very nice.

Thank you sir! ..I'm pretty excited about the way it all came out. It should last for several more years before I get tired of it.. LOL. I built my wife a MINI-ITX setup and really enjoyed putting that together.. I wouldn't mind building another MINI-ITX setup as a HTPC!

I've watched a few blurays on mine (LG Bluray ROM with Arcsoft TotalMedia 5). Plays perfectly..

Maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly, but are the side fans mounted so airflow flows in on BOTH sides (4x in)? How are you getting air out of the case? If that is how it is, the back pressure from the fans will likely make them inefficient. It'd probably do well with a cross direction airflow (2x in and 2x out). Otherwise, very nice.

Man I still owe you guys some pics. In the end it's a task and a half to build with this case. I wish I paid about 20-30 more for a more solid solution from somewhere else.

Now I am having issues with my CX430...

I know I still owe you some pics. I just put everything together real quick to watch a few movies with the wife. OfficerMartinez's setup puts my cable jungle to shame and makes me not want to post any pics!

Hey.. Been away for a little bit so I just wanted to chime in on my experience with this case over the past few months. I took it to a lanparty and it was a huge hit. Two people offered to buy the case but I felt their offers of $150 and $175, respectively, wasn't enough to justify my emotional attachment to this case.. LOL. I know I could have easily sold it but that wasn't the point. In the "raw from the factory form", I agree this case is a bit of a large headache. However, after I modded the heck out of mine, it does EXACTLY what I want it to do. The airflow is phenominal, my temps are super low, it plays blurays effortlessly, it's low profile and it gets its' fair share of compliments (especially when some of my less than savoy friends have NO idea that it's an actual computer). It has yet to fail on me and is a strong HTPC. True enough, I'm running an "old" copy of Windows Vista Ultimate x64, it has a Core i7 860 processor with 8gb's of DDR 1600 Gskill Ram on an "old" Gigabyte P55 mobo and a Galaxy 450GTS video card.. it's NOT cutting edge but it's plenty of power for a HTPC.

Maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly, but are the side fans mounted so airflow flows in on BOTH sides (4x in)? How are you getting air out of the case? If that is how it is, the back pressure from the fans will likely make them inefficient. It'd probably do well with a cross direction airflow (2x in and 2x out). Otherwise, very nice.

Quite the opposite effect. I played around with the fans and 4x in works heads above the rest. I think the "secret" to its' success is having PLENTY of exit holes for the incoming air pressure. I have a mesh screen over the factory rear fan, the PCI slots have mesh PCI brackets attached and the top of the case is obviously covered in holes, allowing the rising heat to escape. Also, look at the video card. It sucks in all of that air from those two fans.. It pretty much cuts off the airflow between the two opposing facing 120mm fans. The "key" piece of hardware might very well be that video card (keeping the airflow in different "chambers" within the case. I dunno.. But I do know it's most definitely cool in there! Four 120mm fans plus another 120mm fan mounted on my CPU is bound to keep the temps under control ..LOL!

Back