Kroger Begins Tests of Driverless Grocery Delivery in Arizona

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Kroger is teaming up with Nuro to bring driverless grocery delivery to a store near you. They are currently testing at a Fry's Food Store in Scottsdale, Arizona and the first phase consists of Toyota Prius cars with the Nuro technology which has a driver onboard for safety. Once the company is comfortable with the technology they'll go to a smaller vehicle without a driver. I hope they have better luck in Arizona than Uber did. We don't need another pedestrian killed. Good luck, Kroger.

The first phase of the test will use a fleet of Toyota Prius cars equipped with Nuro technology. Those cars have seats for humans who can override autonomous systems in the event of an error or emergency. Nuro’s R1 driverless delivery van, which has no seats, will begin testing this autumn, the companies said.

I would never trust another human being picking my perishable groceries out for me. I'm guessing not a lot of people buy fresh fruit and vegetables these days..

Oh, one pedestrian died from a self-driving car... how tragic. Meanwhile a thousand died from regular cars. But of course: "you kill one man, it is a tragedy, you kill one million, it is a statistic"

I'm going to patent an electric driverless car that has vending machines selling cut rate beverages and snacks. And I'm going to have another patent on an electric driverless car that carries four nice, clean, modern bathrooms, so people can order them for events.

Wait ... I just realized, that's actually a good idea ... $150 a day for four nice bathrooms for your event? That would sell. And if you painted them so that everyone recognized what they were, NO ONE would crash into those things.

Reactions: _l_
like this
I would never trust another human being picking my perishable groceries out for me. I'm guessing not a lot of people buy fresh fruit and vegetables these days..

in my area we are using instacart for grocery delivery. And i have to say the people who do the shopping are pretty good at it. Fresh produce/fruit/meats.. all picked really well.

one thing though about purely driverless delivery.. if i am having something delivered.. I'd like it brought to my door

Back