Kraken G10 with GTX970 in PC-K63?

InvisiBill

2[H]4U
I found a deal on a Kraken G10 and a Tt Water 3.0 Performer. I picked them up, planning to put them on my HD5870. I previously had an Accelero Twin Turbo Pro installed on it to quiet things down, but it has remained stock after a warranty replacement.

I have a Corsair H60 (replaced a dead ECO ALC) on my i7-920 already (part of the reason I decided to get the G10/Water 3.0). This is in my Lancool PC-K63. This case has 2x140mm fans in the front bottom for intake, 2x140mm on top for exhaust, plus a 120mm in the rear. This is where I mounted the H60, as an intake to get slightly cooler air for better CPU cooling with minimal case temp increase.

However, I ended up buying an EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ (04G-P4-3975-KR) recently. The Kraken will fit on this card too, but the ACX cooler is pretty good already. Combined with the fact that none of the other fan spots are 120mm, I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to arrange this.

I was thinking I might be able to get a 120-140mm adapter and mount the second rad above the CPU, under the rear top fan. It may not reach, so I might have to install the GPU rad on the rear and move the CPU rad up there instead. If I can reach the top from the GPU, I also thought it might be better to mount both rads up top exhausting, with the rear fan just acting as a cool air intake to supply the rads. This would avoid having the two rads getting series airflow, with one intaking the other's hot exhaust - not quite as cool as direct intake from outside, but more even intake temps for both.

I guess some of this is just speculation until I can dig in and see what reaches and fits where. Until then, anyone got any suggestions for things I might not have thought of?

Instead of using All in one water cooling systems, sell your parts now, and build a custom loop. You will only need one rad and you won't have to deal with the headache of configuring your 2 systems.

I was overthinking this and ignoring the obvious. I don't have the upper drive cage installed, so the upper front fan is wide open. Plus it's right in line with the video card. I should have no problem using a 120-140 adapter of some sort there and dropping it right in. Both rads will be getting cool air from outside (shown to improve core temps without significantly affecting case temps), with the heat going in and up to the exhaust fans on top.

Now I just need to figure out how I want to arrange all the fans (the G10 has one for the other PCB components, plus the Tt comes with two for push-pull) and make some PnP wiring stuff like on my 9800GT.

Instead of using All in one water cooling systems, sell your parts now, and build a custom loop. You will only need one rad and you won't have to deal with the headache of configuring your 2 systems.

I've thought about watercooling for years. However, I'm not spending the necessary money or effort on it right now. The G10 and AIO for the video card only cost me about $45 total. Including the price of the CPU's AIO, I could've gotten universal GPU and CPU waterblocks, maybe. I'd still need the radiator, pump, tubing, and fittings (plus any little things I'm not thinking of) on top of that.

Back