KOTOR 2 gets a new patch after 10 years

Why are people still obsessing over 1313? What exactly in the last decade of LucasArt's existence gave people ANY confidence that it would be good? Not to mention the information that came out after the death of the studio talking about how royally fucked everything was there including that game.

I'm not speaking of THE 1313 that was allegedly shambles. I'm speaking of a game of that genre. Or anything that is not a multiplayer moneygrab or lego star wars. We haven't had a decent SW games yet and there is no word of one being in the development either. So I don't get it why I should praise disney.

I'm not speaking of THE 1313 that was allegedly shambles. I'm speaking of a game of that genre. Or anything that is not a multiplayer moneygrab or lego star wars. We haven't had a decent SW games yet and there is no word of one being in the development either. So I don't get it why I should praise disney.

So your not looking forward to Battlefront?

wow are you series?

Disney has had Lucasfilm/lucasarts for 2 and half years and look at what they've already done

#1 - Episode 7 with oen of the best directors around
#2 - Released a TON of star wars favorites on GOG and Steam (I don' t think you fully understand what it means for a KOTOR2 patch this late in the game)
#3 - Star Wars Battlefront 3 immediately announced and put into development - this is something the community has been CLAMORING for
#4 - A new Open World Starwars game is already in development according to EA Canadas Job Postings
#5 - a resurgence in star wars stuff you can actually buy, I actually see star wars again in the store

all this in only 2 years, which isn't bad at all.. the buzz is amazing, even my sons who are foreign to star wars due to Ep 1 -3 are now getting into it :)

So your not looking forward to Battlefront?

Why would I look forward for a SW skinned Battlefield?

15 Years ago we considered multiplayer only games techdemos. You get a map, and you can run around that map with your buddies, done. And of course it costs much less to develop than a proper game with a story and campaign. But they still ask full price for it. So no I don't care one bit for any game that has no single player value. I might play a few rounds of multiplayer with my friends hell I might even enjoy it for 10 minutes, but the real value is in single player. I deal with people all the time I don't want to deal with them even when I'm gaming. Multiplayer with a bunch of strangers is pointless to me.

wow are you series?

Disney has had Lucasfilm/lucasarts for 2 and half years and look at what they've already done

#2 - Released a TON of star wars favorites on GOG and Steam (I don' t think you fully understand what it means for a KOTOR2 patch this late in the game)
#3 - Star Wars Battlefront 3 immediately announced and put into development - this is something the community has been CLAMORING for
#4 - A new Open World Starwars game is already in development according to EA Canadas Job Postings
#5 - a resurgence in star wars stuff you can actually buy, I actually see star wars again in the store

all this in only 2 years, which isn't bad at all.. the buzz is amazing, even my sons who are foreign to star wars due to Ep 1 -3 are now getting into it :)

#1 I thought we were speaking gaming wise. Anyway best director? There is no measure for that. Most popular might be. But that's no indication of the quality of the work. I actually don't expect much from the new SW movie. It probably won't be bad, but by looking at the track record of those involved it will be a popcorn movie. Which makes it impossible for it to be on level with the greatest. If the new Star Trek movies are any indication. I expect big explosions, small story, and very little dramatic value. And some silly childish character jokes.
#2 Sorry but I played those classics when they were new. Them re-leasing those to make a quick buck doesn't make me fall at their feet. And if they re-lease something the least they can do is make it work for all. I own those games and they want me to buy them again to be able to play them with the updated versions. That's not something I'd call nice. So karma lost for them not gained in my eyes.
#3 Well I'm definitely not part of that community. I'd die before I'd ask for a multiplayer only game.
#4 That's good, but without any real info I just won't start opening the bottles yet. Especially since open world can still mean MMO, which would be terrible news.
#5 Oh, I'm happy that I can waste my money on SW collectibles yet again.

So in 2.5 years they re-released some old titles for ridiculous prices (yes I was the games on GOG too, but the prices are a joke). They gave the movie into the hands of people who have absolutely zero respect for anything expect money. And they are releasing a game I have absolutely zero interest in. Oh and by the way there is a rumor that they might actually make something worthwhile, but not in the next few years for sure.

So forgive me if I'm just not ready to crown them the saviours of star wars yet.

Why would I look forward for a SW skinned Battlefield?

15 Years ago we considered multiplayer only games techdemos. You get a map, and you can run around that map with your buddies, done. And of course it costs much less to develop than a proper game with a story and campaign. But they still ask full price for it. So no I don't care one bit for any game that has no single player value. I might play a few rounds of multiplayer with my friends hell I might even enjoy it for 10 minutes, but the real value is in single player. I deal with people all the time I don't want to deal with them even when I'm gaming. Multiplayer with a bunch of strangers is pointless to me.

single player campaigns just drag down the rest of the mp experience where the real play time is spent so it is for the best to not have a campaign in a multi player game.

#1 I thought we were speaking gaming wise. Anyway best director? There is no measure for that. Most popular might be. But that's no indication of the quality of the work. I actually don't expect much from the new SW movie. It probably won't be bad, but by looking at the track record of those involved it will be a popcorn movie. Which makes it impossible for it to be on level with the greatest. If the new Star Trek movies are any indication. I expect big explosions, small story, and very little dramatic value. And some silly childish character jokes.
#2 Sorry but I played those classics when they were new. Them re-leasing those to make a quick buck doesn't make me fall at their feet. And if they re-lease something the least they can do is make it work for all. I own those games and they want me to buy them again to be able to play them with the updated versions. That's not something I'd call nice. So karma lost for them not gained in my eyes.
#3 Well I'm definitely not part of that community. I'd die before I'd ask for a multiplayer only game.
#4 That's good, but without any real info I just won't start opening the bottles yet. Especially since open world can still mean MMO, which would be terrible news.
#5 Oh, I'm happy that I can waste my money on SW collectibles yet again.

So in 2.5 years they re-released some old titles for ridiculous prices (yes I was the games on GOG too, but the prices are a joke). They gave the movie into the hands of people who have absolutely zero respect for anything expect money. And they are releasing a game I have absolutely zero interest in. Oh and by the way there is a rumor that they might actually make something worthwhile, but not in the next few years for sure.

So forgive me if I'm just not ready to crown them the saviours of star wars yet.

I guess you can't please them all. Content just to complain. I guess for you just imagine George Lucas is still In Charge and don't enjoy the time, I mean I am not going to try and convince you to like something. Maybe Star Wars isn't your thing *shrug*.

Shit, I thought this was just some trivial compatibility patch when I saw the headline for it on news sites.

single player campaigns just drag down the rest of the mp experience where the real play time is spent so it is for the best to not have a campaign in a multi player game.

How can a multiplayer game have a single player campaign? Or if it has one then it's not a multiplayer game. You're talking shit explain yourself!.

How can a multiplayer game have a single player campaign? Or if it has one then it's not a multiplayer game. You're talking shit explain yourself!.

I think he means that single player takes away resources that could have otherwise been used to improve the multiplayer experience. I agree with him in that regard. Whether it's single or multiplayer tacking on a shitty, half-assed, mode for the sole purpose of a check mark on a list of what publishers demand be in every fucking game does no one any good. Let multiplayer games be mutliplayer only and let single player games be single player only.

It certainly is rare for a game to do a good job with both. One or the other, right? As for me I'll focus on single player.

wow are you series?

Rian Johnson (director/writer of Brick, Brothers Bloom, and Looper, is directing and helpin write Episode 8. Is also already on a writing credit for Episode 9.

and there's a stand alone movie announced, as well. Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One. Director is less notable, but the story is being penned by John Knoll, who is known for supervising VFX for a lot of noteable, visually lush movies. In that respect, Rogue One is sure to be the popcorn flick. I think the episodes might be a little more story and character driven, than the recent Star Trek movies.

EA did such a good job with Bad Company. It's too bad they tossed away Bad Company 2's single player to super linearity.

When you're intentionally being daft and are just arguing everything nothing else needs to be said.

There have been a plethora of games released in the last 5years that have tacked on multi-player which caused the single player to be watered down which also resulted in a watered down multi-player experience. If you're going to do a single player game focus on that and vice versa with the multi-player. Personally I'm pretty stoked for battlefront 2.

So this is not a patch you can update if you have your original CD but only through steam?
As neat as it would be to play on a modern system with a 32 inch screen I am not installing steam for that.

DRM hoops has ruined the gaming experience, least for me.

So this is not a patch you can update if you have your original CD but only through steam?
As neat as it would be to play on a modern system with a 32 inch screen I am not installing steam for that.

DRM hoops has ruined the gaming experience, least for me.

you know you can add non steam games to steam...

That doesn't actually make it part of your Steam library, though. It's pretty much just a link to launch it through Steam. Pretty sure you need to buy the Steam version to be able to install this. But I've still got my install discs, so if anyone finds a way to get it activated on Steam, I'd love to hear how.

Will steam accept the CD key for it?

The original game doesn't have a CD key.

Crap, and there was a Humble Bundle with it back in February. At the time, I was like, "Meh, I've got almost all of those games already."

Anyone know if there are any good texture packs out there? I'd imagine the engine is somewhat limiting, but there's got to be room for improvement.

Last edited:
I think since the patch includes Steam achievements and Steam Workshop, you can pretty much be guaranteed that KotoR II just became a Steamworks game...

The group that should probably be most upset about this is the KotoR II from GOG group.. hopefully GOG can swing the same patch for their version (removing the steam stuff) and that might filter down into the disk version..

IMO though I doubt Disney will goto that effort, but maybe they'll let GOG do the legwork for them.

I don't want to add any games to steam, I don't have it on my system.

Evaded question is, this patch appears only for this game through steam.

So now they just have to patch the first one.

Aspyr said they don't have any plans to patch the first game sadly.

I think since the patch includes Steam achievements and Steam Workshop, you can pretty much be guaranteed that KotoR II just became a Steamworks game...

The group that should probably be most upset about this is the KotoR II from GOG group.. hopefully GOG can swing the same patch for their version (removing the steam stuff) and that might filter down into the disk version..

IMO though I doubt Disney will goto that effort, but maybe they'll let GOG do the legwork for them.

Aspyr stated that they're working with both Disney and GOG to see if they can update that version as well, but they won't know anything until after Gamescom.

Last edited:
All the true fans bought this game on CD before it was on steam. ;) They should get that, and a no cd patch

When you're intentionally being daft and are just arguing everything nothing else needs to be said.

There have been a plethora of games released in the last 5years that have tacked on multi-player which caused the single player to be watered down which also resulted in a watered down multi-player experience. If you're going to do a single player game focus on that and vice versa with the multi-player. Personally I'm pretty stoked for battlefront 2.

Just because a single player game has a multiplayer mode doesn't mean it will be watered down. And if it is? What the hell do you care? A watered down multiplayer is still better than no multiplayer at all.

But that's not the point. He was talking about a multiplayer game having single player mode. Which is like talking about a mole's vision. It doesn't exist. Or if he refers to a single player mode with bots without any kind of story. Sure that must take a lot of effort away from multiplayer. But proove me wrong by listing games that supposed to be multiplayer only but they slapped on a single player campaign and both turned out bad.

Evaded question is, this patch appears only for this game through steam.

Thank you that's the point I've been trying to make for the last page. Disney is not a charity. They didn't make a patch for a 15 year old game. They revived a 15 year old game to sell it again for profit. They don't care if you already own these old games on cd.

It's like buying a car and 10 year later they find out there is something horribly wrong with it, which makes it useless, but they refuse to fix the problem on your car, they demand that you buy it again.

Just because a single player game has a multiplayer mode doesn't mean it will be watered down. And if it is? What the hell do you care? A watered down multiplayer is still better than no multiplayer at all.

But that's not the point. He was talking about a multiplayer game having single player mode. Which is like talking about a mole's vision. It doesn't exist. Or if he refers to a single player mode with bots without any kind of story. Sure that must take a lot of effort away from multiplayer. But proove me wrong by listing games that supposed to be multiplayer only but they slapped on a single player campaign and both turned out bad.

Destiny.

Thank you that's the point I've been trying to make for the last page. Disney is not a charity. They didn't make a patch for a 15 year old game. They revived a 15 year old game to sell it again for profit. They don't care if you already own these old games on cd.

It's like buying a car and 10 year later they find out there is something horribly wrong with it, which makes it useless, but they refuse to fix the problem on your car, they demand that you buy it again.

Lol. Get on board with the digital platforms. That's ludicrous to think they'd put effort into something that so few people will benefit from (old kotor ii disk install and even smaller of those that still play kotor ii from disks)

I personally own almost every lucasarts game on disk and I still rebought them on steam just because of the sheer cheapness of it (the Star Wars pack was something ridiculous like 30$) and the convenience

I also don't expect them to patch the floppy disk version of my tie fighter (and yet I still rebought to fighter on steam so I can enjoy the upgraded compatability)

Lol. Get on board with the digital platforms. That's ludicrous to think they'd put effort into something that so few people will benefit from (old kotor ii disk install and even smaller of those that still play kotor ii from disks)

I personally own almost every lucasarts game on disk and I still rebought them on steam just because of the sheer cheapness of it (the Star Wars pack was something ridiculous like 30$) and the convenience

I also don't expect them to patch the floppy disk version of my tie fighter (and yet I still rebought to fighter on steam so I can enjoy the upgraded compatability)

Even if it was cheap, that's completely besides the point. ( X-Wing and Tie fighter was anything but cheap on GOG and it's still 20 euros which makes me laugh) It's questionable for them to make me buy a game again that I already purchased twice. There is no additional content the only thing that they're offering that it works on modern computers.

And please don't start with how businesses work, and how much it costs to patch a game. I wasn't expecting them to patch any old game. The original point was that they didn't patch the game out of the goodness of their hearts. They patched it because they want to sell it again that's the end of it. I don't hate them for it, just don't expect me to fall to my knees for this gesture. It's standard business practice nothing more.

Just a reminder: We're still in a PC gaming forum.
But OK, let's accept that as an example, where is the rest of the list? Because one tree doesn't make a forest. I was shouted off so hard that there must be dozens of titles plagued by this that I don't know of.

Even if it was cheap, that's completely besides the point. ( X-Wing and Tie fighter was anything but cheap on GOG and it's still 20 euros which makes me laugh) It's questionable for them to make me buy a game again that I already purchased twice. There is no additional content the only thing that they're offering that it works on modern computers.

And please don't start with how businesses work, and how much it costs to patch a game. I wasn't expecting them to patch any old game. The original point was that they didn't patch the game out of the goodness of their hearts. They patched it because they want to sell it again that's the end of it. I don't hate them for it, just don't expect me to fall to my knees for this gesture. It's standard business practice nothing more.

Face to Palm. They aren't making you do anything. You are free to enjoy your kotor ii on disk. Your tie on floppies. I have a retro rig of built just for this. I won't tell you how business is run. You appear to be in the business of not being content , in the mean time there are plenty of us enjoying it to its fullest. (My sons and I are currently playing through the xvt balance of power campaign. How awesome is that !! :) )

I guess I'm not surprised considering how pouty the of community has become lol

I can understand the frustration at this patch ONLY for steam. i bought the CD version when it came out, still have the install on my rig, i also re-purchased it on GOG so i didn't have to worry about the CD and iffy no CD patches. so i have bought the game twice now. through two different distribution methods. yet, no update for me.

if EA said only copies of Battlefield purchased directly from Amazon were to be updated, people would be pissed.

I can understand the frustration at this patch ONLY for steam. i bought the CD version when it came out, still have the install on my rig, i also re-purchased it on GOG so i didn't have to worry about the CD and iffy no CD patches. so i have bought the game twice now. through two different distribution methods. yet, no update for me.

if EA said only copies of Battlefield purchased directly from Amazon were to be updated, people would be pissed.

And yet it seems perfectly OK for disney. Not just OK, they're being put on a pedestal for it. That's what got me agitated in the first place. Not that they actually did it, but the fact that they're being praised like saviours.

Face to Palm. They aren't making you do anything. You are free to enjoy your kotor ii on disk. Your tie on floppies. I have a retro rig of built just for this. I won't tell you how business is run. You appear to be in the business of not being content , in the mean time there are plenty of us enjoying it to its fullest. (My sons and I are currently playing through the xvt balance of power campaign. How awesome is that !! :) )

I guess I'm not surprised considering how pouty the of community has become lol

They're not making? How else would you say it? I buy something, it works then it doesn't work anymore. They come up with a fix for it, but they say I can't have it unless I pay them again? If any other industry did this they'd arrest them for running a racket.

Just a reminder: We're still in a PC gaming forum.
But OK, let's accept that as an example, where is the rest of the list? Because one tree doesn't make a forest. I was shouted off so hard that there must be dozens of titles plagued by this that I don't know of.

No you're being shouted down because you are arguing against evrrything for the sake of arguing. You stated a multiplayer game couldn't have a single player campaign other wise it cant be considered multiplayer than told the person he was talking shit.

At this point of the thread I have zero clue what were even discussing because you've taken this thread so far off track it is asinine at this point.

Oh, BTW I can think of a half dozen games that have tacked on multiplayer games in the pc genre that have watered down one or the other of the sp and mp experience.

CoD, Dead space, battlefield, crysis, lord of the rings war in the north, and BioShock just to name a few.

As I said above: Aspry are working with GOG and Disney to see if they can bring the patch to the GOG version but they won't know anything until after Gamescom.

Back