Korean PLS Matte+Glossy 2560x1440 Overclockable(?) Club: Qnix & X-Star

Discussion in 'Displays' started by NCX, Apr 29, 2013.

1. NCX

NCX [H]ardness Supreme

Video Review

Written Review

This post is the victim of continuous updating by moi:

Qnix 96hz profile for 6500k color temperature and 2.2 gamma

[​IMG]

These use PLS panels from Samsung=Samsung's version of IPS=wide viewing angles, no horizontal/vertical gamma shift and the same glow problems.

The matte version has the same semi-glossy (lightest matte coating) as the other 2560x1440 PLS panels!

This is a compilation of macro pictures of monitors pixels to show the effect of different kinds of coatings (glossy, glass and the various matte coatings). The Dell U2711 uses the most aggressive (thickest) matte/anti-glare (AG) coating while the 27Q LED-P is glossy which is why the pixels look so much clearer. Aggressive AG is the most common type of coating, especially on IPS.

http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2013/05/02/1/23_kristaleffect_big.jpg

The following AH-IPS and PLS have semi-glossy coating (lightest matte coating) Q2710, EA244WMi, U2713H, U2413H, U2713HM, VP2770, PB278Q, S27A850D and S24A850D

To remove the stand the display must be taken apart, TFT Central's DGM IPS Review has a guide (they use the same casing)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dgm_ips-2701wph.htm

Overclock.net Club Thread

Reviews
    =DEAD='s Review from Overclock.ru (in Russian)

User Impressions
    Read Godmachines's QX2710 Evolution 2 impressions here
    rune3400's review
    HyperMatrix (at 120Hz.net) review

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. Godmachine

Godmachine [H]ardForum Junkie

Nice :)

Good idea as well , help centralize all the information on these monitors.

3. NCX

NCX [H]ardness Supreme

4. preyed

preyed Limp Gawd

Don't think the matte would take away from the screen?

5. Gatecrasher3

Gatecrasher3 Limp Gawd

6. NCX

NCX [H]ardness Supreme

The coating is so light one has to get within a few centimeters to see the sparkly/grain affect vs. being able to see a display with heavy AG sparkling from a few feet away

Not sure if serious...Google broken?

7. hakkafusion

hakkafusion [H]Lite

I triggered on the glossy one 2 days ago.
    Maybe I'll get the semi-gloss one too just to compare.
    any pics side by side posted yet? Don't think I came across any on OCN;
    or did I miss it?

8. preyed

preyed Limp Gawd

9. alienate

alienate Gawd

= a failed attempt to match IPS technology. Dell, HP, Apple, Eizo, NEC, etc won't touch them.

10. tensor9

tensor9 n00b

Really? Hasn't it been confirmed that the Eizo FS2332 (and probably the FS2333) uses a Samsung PLS panel?

11. NCX

NCX [H]ardness Supreme

I ordered a pixel perfect model form hulustar and regretted it...luckily could not find any pixel perfect models so they are sending me a matte one now.

12. preyed

preyed Limp Gawd

What did you regret it for? Was it messed up?

13. NCX

NCX [H]ardness Supreme

=DEAD='s Qnix review which revealed that the matte version has semi-glossy coating came out a day after I ordered the glossy version. I regretted it because I already have a glossy monitor and like having 1 of each.

14. preyed

preyed Limp Gawd

Ah got ya, had me scared for a minute there.

15. xoleras

xoleras 2[H]4U

Troll? It's not a failed technology. It's identical to IPS.

16. Godmachine

Critic perhaps but honestly if you are in this thread knocking PLS , not sure there is much else to say to that dude.

17. wrigleyvillain

wrigleyvillain n00b

He's just salty cause he paid $800 for a Catleap 2B 3 months ago. :p

18. alienate

alienate Gawd

Well then, that's awfully nice of LG then to not litigate over patent violations.
    You must be new to the scene here. While similar, the whole point of Samsung's PLS technology was to improve on IPS weaknesses and cut cost. It did neither, so the term failure is justifiable (to me at least)

19. NCX

NCX [H]ardness Supreme

PLS panels have less quality control issues

-no nasty tinting: each side tinted either white/green/pink or yellow
    -no burn in/IR except on the Qnix (see the overclock thread linked in 1st post)
    -no dark, horizontal brightness strips near the bottom of the display (LED back-lit 27" S-IPS issue)
    -no grainy matte coatings
    -no semi-glossy cross-hatching

20. Cheetoz

Cheetoz [H]ard|Gawd

Got mine today and I'm happy. No dead pixels, minimal bleeding.

Did you guys have to fix your color settings? Mine seems pretty good out of the box

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  21. Godmachine

Point me to an IPS panel that can do 1440p and 120hz as my Qnix does at $317 price point with excellent contrast and color and I'll believe you otherwise in this case PLS has surpassed IPS.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  22. hakkafusion

hakkafusion [H]Lite

+1 rec'd the glossy qnix today. It's immaculate @120hz.
    Thinking of getting a matte also. decision.hmmm.

23. wrigleyvillain

wrigleyvillain n00b

Actually once you try one or three calibrated ICCs you will realize it wasn't so great. I mean, no, it's not bad at "stock" but can be more vibrant and less washed-out as you will see.

There are files for various refresh rates in the OP of the PLS monitor club at OCN in the Color Calibration section. And linked below is one I made yesterday with a ColorMunki (96Hz but you don't absolutely have to be running that refresh to try it; higher Hz darkens more though on these displays so this might be too bright for 60Hz).

http://sdrv.ms/12ci0Xq

24. NCX

NCX [H]ardness Supreme

Qnix 96hz profile for 6500k color temperature and 2.2 gamma

Use whatever brightness you want with my profile.

Default settings are amazing, mine accepts 96hz-120hz. I purchased a matte pixel perfect version form hulstar and it seems to be pixel perfect. Have to do a bleed check still. The panel does not sit perfectly in the bezel.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  25. preyed

preyed Limp Gawd

Just got my two Mattes from Hulustar -- don't have much time to test but threw up a black ground to check for bleeding and dead pixels -- both are pretty much perfect with slight black light bleed. Monitor doesn't seat well in the frame but you can't tell if you're not moving it I'll try your 96hz profile in a bit. I went thru three LG 29EA93 21:9s before giving up and trying this. Glad I did, I do miss that wide resolution though :(

Just wanted to update. All of the panels run fine at 96hz. Panel 1 will run up to 100hz~ before it starts to show issues. Panel 2 I took all the way up to 139hz before it start waving. For the time being, I'm just keeping them at 96hz and picking up SquareTrade.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  26. arbitrary_mike

arbitrary_mike n00b

So I got me a glossy Qnix. No dead or stuck pixels, I think. At 120 Hz, I did get some wavy lines with a green color during ColorMunki calibration, so I backed down to 96 Hz.

With my monitor, gamma is even higher than NCX measured, starting at around 2.2 at 60 Hz, reaching around 2.8 at 96 Hz and going over 3 at 120 Hz. Without a colour profile, 96 Hz is already too dark for me. I think there are some differences between individual units (?). So this does put a kind of a potential crimp on using this as a gaming monitor, since games don't really follow colour profiles without hacks and workarounds like CPKeeper (which may or may not work for you - in multimonitor environment I could not get it to make a difference at least in the couple of games I tried).

For desktop use, the Qnix is quite excellent. However, for gaming, I'm sticking with BenQ XL2411T, because of 2D Lightboost de-blurring, but also because in games it is preferable for me for gamma to be too low than quite a lot too high.

I did notice a mention in the overclock.ru review that the PWM frequency is 160 Hz (if I understood the Google Translated content correctly), so I created a little bit different kind of color profile for experimenting with possible eye tiredness differences with and without PWM.

With the profile, the backlight is supposed to be set to maximum (to minimise the effect of PWM), but the profile limits the maximum luminance to 120 cd/m^2 (from the native about 270 cd/m^2). It also fixes up the gamma. Of course, the contrast is lowered by the same amount as luminance is restricted (black level is around 0.30 instead of 0.12 at 120 cd/m^2), but the contrast is still quite usable for desktop work. Just a note: with this profile, I did a registry hack related to setting mouse pointer trails to -1 to get the mouse cursor to follow the colour profile - otherwise the mouse cursor was quite bright, and it seems this registry hack caused an issue with Civilization V mouse cursor becoming invisible on the setup page. Not really a problem for me, since I'm gaming on my other monitor.

If someone is interested in the profile, I uploaded it to
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28778054/QNIX 96 Hz 120 cd_D65.icm

Note: to get best contrast and therefore best PQ, you should of course use NCX or some others' posted colour profiles and then set the backlight to your preferred setting.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  27. preyed

preyed Limp Gawd

I went ahead and ordered a third Matte. For 300~, this is a steal. My desk had a 5'' lip so it's becoming hard to find an arm that would clamp to 5'' or above. Looks like I'll have to suck it up and wall arm it. :(

28. RickDMer

RickDMer n00b

Nice, make sure to post some photo's once you do :)

29. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

Sounds like that should be fun ;).... I can't imagine how much GPU horsepower you'd need to power 120hz (or 4320x2560) :D.

30. preyed

preyed Limp Gawd

yeah I won't be using three with a single computer. I really don't have a need or want for that. It would be pretty amazing though.

I'm only gaming on one with the other as just an extension while I stream.

31. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

Nice :D...

32. NCX

NCX [H]ardness Supreme

33. Cheetoz

Cheetoz [H]ard|Gawd

34. Liqq

Liqq Limp Gawd

yup, very good profile NCX! I had been using an Asus one that was very vivd in BF3, but this one seems better overall.

35. dpoverlord

dpoverlord [H]ard|Gawd

This makes me want to return my 30" and get 2-3 27"

36. NCX

NCX [H]ardness Supreme

37. Pastuch

Pastuch Limp Gawd

Solid write up. Nice work. Great photos. Where abouts in Canada are you? I'm in Ottawa, I'm thinking about ordering one from Hulustar. Did you try to tell Hulustar to label the monitor as a gift?

38. Pastuch

Pastuch Limp Gawd

I just received my QX2710 and I have to say that a dead pixel would be paradise compared to the Back Light Bleed that I have. I ordered mine from Green Sum and had to pay $57 Canadian for duty because they didn't mark the package a gift. I'll post photos this evening.

39. NCX

NCX [H]ardness Supreme

Epic Bezel Painting Guide

Matte Qnix+X-Star owners should consider painting the bezel since a matte gray bezel will make the blacks look deeper.

40. Archmage

Archmage 2[H]4U

Are there any reports of PWM-flicker other than in that overclockers.ru review (reported 160hz PWM on a matte Qnix)? Any subjective reports of eye-strain?

To circumvent PWM, I could try to apply this fix: http://www.overclock.net/t/1374065/...n-ll-27-2560x1440-matte-samsung-pls-panel/150 - but I can't be certain it would work with the Qnix.

Also: To what extent can we improve the backlight bleeding issues by fixing panel play and applying tape mods?: http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-korean-pls-monitor-club-qnix-x-star - mods can be found under "Monitor Fixes, Support, Help"

The Qnix's light matte seems ideal, but I'll go gloss if there is less chance of PWM.

I'll have to investigate this backlight bleeding issue further...