Korean 27" monitors at NE

Nice find, been looking at getting one of these and going through Newegg does sound appealing.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Trust me the matte version is better. You don't want the tempered glass version. In fact outside of stripping off the AC coating on other montiors the Qnix has a very low amount in terms of coating. The coating is very effective as still giving a vibrant color presentation. Its not as bright and obvious as a glossy version but Its probably one of the best and least aggressive coatings I've seen in a while.

I've heard stories as well that the glass can be dislodged and that could mean a little modding required by the user if that's something you are cool with.

But otherwise I recommend Matte for most people.

Trust me the matte version is better. You don't want the tempered glass version. In fact outside of stripping off the AC coating on other montiors the Qnix has a very low amount in terms of coating. The coating is very effective as still giving a vibrant color presentation. Its not as bright and obvious as a glossy version but Its probably one of the best and least aggressive coatings I've seen in a while.

I've heard stories as well that the glass can be dislodged and that could mean a little modding required by the user if that's something you are cool with.

But otherwise I recommend Matte for most people.

my iPhone 5 wants me to get the glass version:D

my iPhone 5 wants me to get the glass version:D

Its not the same. The glass is almost "hovered" over the panel casing. Its not a like a glossy version where its layered in.

NCX bought the tempered version and returned it for the matte and felt the matte version was better if that tells you anything.

But you are entitled to your own personal choice , just giving out the benefit of my experience and ownership of this monitor.

yep, I've got the U2412M also and it's really tempting. Not sure how the Warranty works though. Is it US based?

Newegg one is glass tho... Amazon is matte.

Monoprice's are gloss or glass too IIRC, but more pricey.

Monoprice are glass and SO not worth the money.. I just tried one.. replaced it and then sent both back. For ME paying more then $350 for a korean model is tossing my money away.

As for NewEgg up to this day I have NEVER had to pay shipping back. Lol I ALWAYS call.

Monoprice are glass and SO not worth the money.. I just tried one.. replaced it and then sent both back. For ME paying more then $350 for a korean model is tossing my money away.

As for NewEgg up to this day I have NEVER had to pay shipping back. Lol I ALWAYS call.

Guess what....you're one of the only people on this board who hasn't been shafted by NewEgg.

Every time I have had a DOA item from NewEgg I've had to fight to not have to pay so much as a restocking fee, nevermind getting free return shipping.

NCX bought the tempered version and returned it for the matte and felt the matte version was better if that tells you anything.

I've owned the glass Samsung 9710D & Dell S2740L & seen the ACD many times. Tempered glass is a cruel joke & should never be used on monitors IMO

Left glass vs. right semi-glossy (same-ish coating as matte Qnix/X-Star)

Example 2

Originally I ordered a glossy Qnix, but they didn't have any glossy pixel perfect ones so I switched.

why is tempered glass not good? I would think it'd look awesome.

See above.

Tempered Glass=mirror & gray blacks...and I love normal glossy monitors.

Monoprice are glass and SO not worth the money

Did your Monoprice look like the Samsung 970D in my pics?

were the lights on in that pic with the tempered glass? what if I play with no lights on in the dark?

also what is better, glossy or matte? i currently have a samsung s27b550 - is that glossy or matte so I know what to look for.

thanks for the help with this...

I'm still tempted to get glass cuz it's cheaper... is it really all that bad or was that a specific lighting situation? Can anyone else with a glass one chime in?

matte matte matte matte matte matte matte matte matte matte matte matte matte matte matte matte matte
Nothing to think about here - it should be matte.

were the lights on in that pic with the tempered glass? what if I play with no lights on in the dark?

Lights were on but it barely makes a difference, blacks will ALWAYS look gray due to the lack of a coating. You will not want to turn off the lights since IPS/PLS glow is more obvious with the lights off, and the blacks will look even grayer. I only have 1 light in my room with almost no external light.

Glass Left vs. Glossy

Glossy displays have slightly clearer & more vibrant light colors at the price of reflections. Your monitor is matte and has a grainy coating, you may not notice, but you will if you get a glossy monitor or matte Qnix/X-Star.

Last edited:
thanks for the help! Since my monitor is matte and that's what I'm used to, I will probably go with a matte monitor...

Don't forget to look for local deals too. Found a pixel perfect 2b version catleap (the oc ones) for $250 on craigs. Guy was moving out of the country and needed to unload a lot of his stuff. Just got super lucky.

Don't forget to look for local deals too. Found a pixel perfect 2b version catleap (the oc ones) for $250 on craigs. Guy was moving out of the country and needed to unload a lot of his stuff. Just got super lucky.

Lucky dog. The only monitors listed on my craigslist are ten year old Dell 1280*1024 20"ers

anyone recall , was posted on [H] the 4k tv/monitor for like $1100 everyone was raving about to use as a monitor?

This is from a third party selling through NewEgg. And I had a hell of a hard time returning a phone I bought this way. It was defective, the seller wouldn't give me an RMA number because they said they didn't sell that phone. Yet NewEgg told me it did come from them and couldn't do anything until the seller gave me an RMA number.

I had to fight with NewEgg for 2 weeks before they'd finally take back the defective phone. Their customer support was just amazingly bad throughout the entire experience. I used to be an avid NewEgg shopper until that point, now I never buy anything from those clowns again.

I've owned the glass Samsung 9710D & Dell S2740L & seen the ACD many times. Tempered glass is a cruel joke & should never be used on monitors IMO

Left glass vs. right semi-glossy (same-ish coating as matte Qnix/X-Star)

Example 2

Originally I ordered a glossy Qnix, but they didn't have any glossy pixel perfect ones so I switched.

See above.

Tempered Glass=mirror & gray blacks...and I love normal glossy monitors.

Did your Monoprice look like the Samsung 970D in my pics?

Hey..

My room is kind of dark yet wow nothing like..it did look better. All IPS have that glow as we know yet the TWO Monoprice I had ..I never seen a IPS have that much for a so called A- no dead pixel no blacklight bleed promise from them. Blacks were really really really gray.

Back