Korean 1440p IPS monitors - $200 or less [REFURBS]

Mezner

Limp Gawd
So thought I'd let you guys know about some 1440p ips monitors for $200 or less. Just bought 2 Potalion 2710QW's for $359.

PLEASE NOTE: These are refurbished monitors, but the seller ratings for these monitors are actually quite good.

PRICES HAVE GONE UP FOR THE TIME BEING. No idea why though, but they are always fluctuating so they'll probably go back down soon enough.

Acheiva Shimian ($200):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Refurb...5007?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4d274610af

Topsync Luxury 2700QWB ($179):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Refurb...3749?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item3397c1f865

Potalion 2710QW ($179):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-REFURB...9676?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4adee1a4ec

Orion Topsync 2710QWGB ($179):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-REFURB...4599?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4adee19117

And just for those interested in new monitors:

Wasabi-Mango (apparently made by Yamakasi) QHD275 ($279): http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-WASABI-...6868?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4adff74fb4

Crossover 27QW ($259): http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-2...7537?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4adff75251

QNIX QX2710 ($269): http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...1435?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c41c67ceb

X Star DP2710 [NOT S-IPS, AH-VA PANEL] ($279): http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-STAR-DP27...2313?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4d1be17589

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm never trying a refurb monitor ever again, but that's just based on my personal experience, I have bad luck with them. Most people don't. That $250 dollar one at the bottom however, next paycheck I'm buying.

Just want to say that I have the Acheiva Shimian that I bought a long time back. Really happy with this purchase!

Surround is fun for all of 5 minutes before you go back to a single monitor :D

w2sSiyp.gif

I don't know, I like my three monitors. Though I haven't been using them in nVsurround much lately (due to mismatching monitors, and lack of support in many games). I'm highly tempted, but my receiver only supports 1080p. But then again, the control panel is starting to go bonkers, so it may be time for an upgrade. :D

omfg this is awesome. Wish i could buy one but i dont even own a PC atm haha.

Last edited:
oh man...a couple of these would sure look nice flanking my yamakasi

Surround is fun for all of 5 minutes before you go back to a single monitor :D

Thats how it was for me. Granted I used eyefinity first. I thought for FPS it was more distracting. It was nice when playing WoW when I used an addon to black out the other two and I was able to extra frames and info on the monitors.

Now I still use 3 monitors but I only game on the center monitor I use the others for extra space like a video or webpage.

Which of these are glossy and which are matte for the screen coating?

I know for sure the Achieva Shimians are glossy, as they are B graded Apple Cinema displays. My Potalion 2710s should be coming in later this week, so i'll update on that.

Really interested on what you think of the Potalions. May be what I ask for for Christmas. :p

hmm may have to bite on this for photoshop to match my benq 27

in terms of using them at 1080p do they still look ok (relative to 1080p not being completely ideal for a 27)?

This is so tempting, been thinking about it since last night. Waiting to hear on further feedback first though.

hmm may have to bite on this for photoshop to match my benq 27

in terms of using them at 1080p do they still look ok (relative to 1080p not being completely ideal for a 27)?

why on earth would you buy a 1440p monitor and run it at anything other than 1440p?

everyone else, i dunno about these. the regular models are risky enough. i imagine these are riddled with dead pixels and other problems...

why on earth would you buy a 1440p monitor and run it at anything other than 1440p?

everyone else, i dunno about these. the regular models are risky enough. i imagine these are riddled with dead pixels and other problems...

eyefinity when i game, would run at 1440p otherwise.

This is so tempting, been thinking about it since last night. Waiting to hear on further feedback first though.

I bit immediately on the Wasabi Potato, or whatever they call it.

Supposedly it shipped, but ETA is a week. Definitely not the 2-3 days that I've heard others experience.

The seller's ratings for the shimians they've sold are all positive and say no dead pixels. They also claim to check every monitor they ship out. So I'd say it's worth a shot at this price. I'll be sure to update you guys when my monitors come in.

Just want to say that I have the Acheiva Shimian that I bought a long time back. Really happy with this purchase!

Yes it's really great monitor. It's apple cinema display minus the badge. Super crisp and bright with all the eye candy. I bought this in Korea but I sold it off for what I paid for it in Korea.

Alright guys update time! Just got my Potalions in today and have one hooked up. Unfortunately, the other is missing a power adapter so I have to wait for one to come in.

I must say, I was scared. Very scared. I thought these monitors were going to be terrible, but the one I have hooked up so far is AMAZING. Very little light bleed at the corners, but hell you can't expect perfection at this price. There is also ONE, yes count it, ONE dead pixel, but it is hardly even noticeable. I'll try to see if I can correct it for later, but for now it stays. The potalions are also now confirmed as glossy. I believe the potalions use the same screen as the achievas do, which are A- graded Apple Cinema displays, or along that line. But just let me get this across, This screen is bea-ut-iful. I'm very impressed, and for $179 I can recommend this monitor. Let's hope my other screen has the same fate as this one.The monitors do have a very tabacco-ish smell and you can tell it was around smoke as the labels which were white are now yellowish brown, sort of like what happens to an old NES or SuperNES, but other than that, nothing else I can see. Also, the stand it comes with is pretty flimsy, but it does what it can. They are VESA compatible, so I will be buying a dual arm mount soon.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

I'll also try to get some pictures up once I get everything set up.

EDIT: SUCCESS! Turns out the adapter fell off my bed, but i've found it. The second monitor is up and running and works perfectly fine! There is also 1 dead pixel, but there is almost non-existent blacklight bleed. I am thoroughly impressed with these monitors.

Last edited:
This screen is bea-ut-iful. I'm very impressed, and for $179 I can recommend this monitor.
Congrats and thank you for the feedback.

Just remember the price that everyone was paying for this resolution not long ago, you made out like a bandit :)

Also to add ontop of the great news, I ran a pixel corrector for about and hour or so and now both monitors are free of dead/stuck pixels.

Supposedly it shipped, but ETA is a week. Definitely not the 2-3 days that I've heard others experience.

It's a good thing you did they just bumped up the price to $279. I may be sold on the Potalions now though.

Strange, I purchased my two potalions on Sunday, and they arrived on wednesday. And I must say, the seller makes sure that the monitor is well packaged and protected from any potential damage during shipping.

And for all others: Be forewarned, these monitors do not have adjustment options built into the display, only power on/off, and brightness +/-. So you'll have to use some sort of software if you wish to adjust anything else.

Last edited:
And for all others: Be forewarned, these monitors do not have adjustment options built into the display, only power on/off, and brightness +/-. So you'll have to use some sort of software if you wish to adjust anything else.
This has become common.

A few years back when we were discussing these Korean monitors it was mentioned that no OSD menu = slightly less input lag. I don't remember how much less but at least there's a tiny benefit to not having it.

It's a good thing you did they just bumped up the price to $279. I may be sold on the Potalions now though.
Other sellers drop prices regularly on the new monitors. I just searched Ebay using the term "2560x1440" and found a Crossover for $259 shipped. If you're serious about buying then i would do an Ebay search once or twice a day, then pull the trigger when the right deal comes up. My Yamakasi is one of the best monitor purchases i ever made, and that was at nearly double these prices, glossy 2560x1440 FTW.

Back